A few small questions...

First I'd like to say that these questions concern the Windows XP install CD and how I can better understand it and it's various features (the unattended install feature mostly). I have a Windows XP Pro edition (Norwegian) and I've just used nLite on it and I'm going to use Bâshrat the Sneaky's DriverPacks on it (I tried the 3rd method but it didn't work out so well. But it doesn't look like I have any choise (I've got alot of third party applications prepared to autoinstal as well,l such as Firefox, SPF, WinRar, Ad-Aware SE, and Open Office).

But I digress. The questions are as followed:

1: How do I find out where the general dirs such as Program Files (Norwegian: Programfiler) and My Documents (Norwegian: Mine Dokumenter) are. I'm making a batch script that activates certain programs in the Program Files dir and I'm wondering where I should direct it. I use %systemdrive% to point to the OEM dir so I was wondering if there are any other variables like %programs% or %documents%.

2: I want to upgrade the Windows XP with RyanVM's Windows XP Post-SP2 Update Pack but because it's a Norwegian Windows XP CD I don't know if I should. Maybe some Norwegian'll be English and some dirs that were supposed to be Norwegian are now English (that would reak a havoc on the system). I doubt there are any Norwegian update packs but if there are let me know (cause I can't find them). Doing it manualy is a very hard job I think (I don't even know which updates are Norwegian).

3: Is it possible to edit the registry thats inside the Windows install CD (the registry thats going to be in the finished Windows XP installation). Or is the registry built rather then extracted or put in its rightfull place?

Thanks for reading and [ERROR: Appreciation_quote#42 not found.]

1. At a command prompt, type set. You will now see the environmental variables available to you.

2. Not sure of this.

3. The registry is mostly built from inf files, from the I386 directory. One resource for inf files is here.

To support multilanguage installs you might be able to use REG to get the local names for Desktop, Start Menu, Startup, and Program Files.

But the problem I found was that SET wasnt setting the variable correctly in Japanese - the paths get cut off prematurely. Not sure if it works in Norwegian.

Note that there must be a TAB character between DELIMS= and the quote mark (")

SET KEY="HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders"
FOR /F "USEBACKQ skip=3 tokens=3* DELIMS= " %%I IN (`REG QUERY %KEY% /v "Common Desktop"`)    DO SET ADT=%%I
FOR /F "USEBACKQ skip=3 tokens=3* DELIMS= " %%I IN (`REG QUERY %KEY% /v "Common Start Menu"`) DO SET AST=%%I
FOR /F "USEBACKQ skip=3 tokens=3* DELIMS= " %%I IN (`REG QUERY %KEY% /v "Common Programs"`)   DO SET APR=%%I
FOR /F "USEBACKQ skip=3 tokens=3* DELIMS= " %%I IN (`REG QUERY %KEY% /v "Common Startup"`)    DO SET ASU=%%I

SET KEY="HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders"
FOR /F "USEBACKQ skip=3 tokens=3* DELIMS= " %%I IN (`REG QUERY %KEY% /v "Desktop"`)    DO SET UDT="%%I"
FOR /F "USEBACKQ skip=3 tokens=3* DELIMS= " %%I IN (`REG QUERY %KEY% /v "Start Menu"`) DO SET UST="%%I"
FOR /F "USEBACKQ skip=3 tokens=3* DELIMS= " %%I IN (`REG QUERY %KEY% /v "Programs"`)   DO SET UPR="%%I"
FOR /F "USEBACKQ skip=3 tokens=3* DELIMS= " %%I IN (`REG QUERY %KEY% /v "Startup"`)    DO SET USU="%%I"

echo All Users desktop: %ADT%
echo Current Users desktop: %UDT%