Missing Firefox

raptor

Hope this the right forum.

I have been using Firefox for quite some time, then all of a sudden when i click on Firefox, i get a box telling me that it cannot locate my home page. If i try other wesites

it tells me the same thng. Thinking firewall, i went there and made sure Firefox was listed and it was. I have added no new programs or downloaded anything i can think of. I am using Windows XP Home. Could use some help.

Hi,

First of all you should determine if you have a firewall other than the microsoft xpsp2 supplied one installed.

Some of these so called "Personal Firewalls" can block internet access on a per process basis for incoming and outgoing traffic. If you have one of those installed check if the firefox.exe is on the whitelist.

If you don't have, XPSP2 is not your problem because it just restricts applications from listening on a specific port - outgoing traffic is not filtered.

When the above does not solve you problem, check the following:

Is a Proxy enabled in Firefox (Tools->Options->General->Connection Settings)? If so, disable them if you don't need them. If you need a Proxy to get internet access check that it is entered in correctly (copy and paste the settings from internet explorer)

Bye, Egon

Hope this the right forum.

I have been using Firefox for quite some time, then all of a sudden when i click on Firefox, i get a box telling me that it cannot locate my home page. If i try other wesites

it tells me the same thng. Thinking firewall, i went there and made sure Firefox was listed and it was. I have added no new programs or downloaded anything  i  can think of. I am using Windows XP Home. Could use some help.

What would help to narrow things down a bit, is if you can recall what exactly took place the last time you successfully used firefox to surf the web. And have you tried upgrading the browser as well. And what firewall do you have?

Try shutting your 3rd party firewall off if you are using something besides XP firewall. If Firefox still doesn't work then it's most likely not a firewall problem. The proxy settings are also a good place to start. Disable them if they are enabled. Have you reloaded Firefox with 1.0.6, the lastest version? Do that too.

O.K. dont have third party firewall and ck'd proxy, none setup.I dont remember anything different.No downloads, i have tried deleting and reinstalling firefox several times nothing.I.E works and i downloaded mozilla and it works fine.

Logon as a different user and try Firefox. If Firefox works, then it's almost certainly a Firefox profile issue under your primary user account. If this is the case, delete the profile, then try Firefox.

- Ravashaak

O.K. dont have third party firewall and ck'd proxy, none setup.I dont remember anything different.No downloads, i have tried deleting and reinstalling firefox several  times nothing.I.E works and i downloaded mozilla and it works fine.

That's just weird...it should run without any configuration changes right after installation. Somethings got to be blocking it. Unless you made some incorrect setting during install.