RyanVM's update pack and this forum's sticky topic

RyanVM - http://ryanvm.msfn.org/updatepack.html

Sticky hotfixes topic - http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=31886&st=0

Hello everyone.

I am having a hard time understanding why RyanVM's pack lists over 125 hotfixes while the sticky topic shows only 26 hotfixes? Isn't that a pretty significant difference?

I also noticed that the sticky topic has some hotfixes that RyanVM's pack is missing. And i'm not talking about the new june/july hotfixes, i'm talking about hotfixes from months ago.

So what's the deal with the difference and which one should I use? :unsure:

I use RVM pack for my last build, having probs w/ nlite integration. I had all but this months witch i just added the exe file in my svcpack folder and added entries to svcpack.in_. yes i just run the inf file through compression bin and replace existing. Other then wu/wu6 wicrosoft sais i have no criticul hotfixes needed. So I don't think any thing is missing.

Krazd

Many of the ones I include are ones that have to be specifically requested from Microsoft. The sticky thread only lists the ones that appear on Windows Update with a fresh install of XP SP2.

Regarding ones in the sticky which aren't on my site, poke around a bit further ;). They're more than likely obsoleted by other ones which I do include. I list all obsoleted fixes on there.

oki might be a bit of a n00b question for you RyanVM but

is there som kind of a list of ALL updates, hotfixes and service pack for ALL components for windows XP, all the windows updates ones and all the special ones? Or how do you know what you are looking for? how do you know that the fixes even exist.

I have the Swedish XP and it would be coolt to obtain all the hotfixes and files availeble and not just the ones showing up in Windows Update (or microsoft update if you so will)

offcourse i could check your list and download the Swedish version of it but i am curious from where you got it from.

Thanx

how do you know that the fixes even exist.

There's a big thread over at my forums where people find them and share the link.
Thank you RyanVM, for your reply and your excellent work :D

I guess your hotfix pack is the way to go :thumbup

The next version is (hopefully) getting the finishing touches right now. Gonna make integration easier than ever :) Edited by RyanVM

The next version is (hopefully) getting the finishing touches right now. Gonna make integration easier than ever :)

I'd like to wait for your new version to be ready before I make my unattended cd. I was going to make it today but since you're saying it's getting its finishing touches, I think i'll wait for it. :)

Just a quick question, will it still work with nlite or will we just have to integrate it after nlite is done with everything else?

• 4 weeks later...

I've been fruitlessly searching this forum for hours for info on how to slipsteam the 1.2.2 update pack. The update pack is a .cab file but nLite needs an .exe, so how do I slip this thing? Obviously, I've never used RyanVM's packs before, so any clues would be appreciated.

And please don't tell me to look on RyanVM's forum. I already have and there's nothing useful there. Also, how do remove all the Extras and Regtweaks from 1.2.2lite ?

Update: OK i found my mistake in using nLite to slip the 1.2.2 pack. I was selecting the service pack button instead of the hotfix button. So that problem is solved. Oddly enough I found that answer on RyanVM's site after hours of searching. I still need to remove stuff from the update pack though. It's like 4am now so I should probably hold off for another day. I can't think straight now.

Edited by SyntaxError

I've been fruitlessly searching this forum for hours for info on how to slipsteam the 1.2.2 update pack. The update pack is a .cab file but nLite needs an .exe, so how do I slip this thing? Obviously, I've never used RyanVM's packs before, so any clues would be appreciated.

And please don't tell me to look on RyanVM's forum. I already have and there's nothing useful there. Also, how do remove all the Extras and Regtweaks from 1.2.2lite ?

Update: OK i found my mistake in using nLite to slip the 1.2.2 pack. I was selecting the service pack button instead of the hotfix button. So that problem is solved. Oddly enough I found that answer on RyanVM's site after hours of searching. I still need to remove stuff from the update pack though. It's like 4am now so I should probably hold off for another day. I can't think straight now.

Ryan's 1.3.0 pack is coming out in a week or less and that will have its own gui integrator if you care to wait.

I have beta tested the pack and it is very nice. :D

I have been searching all over and I can't figure out how to integrate the .net framework 1.1 I downloaded from Ryan's site. Right now I've sucessfully created a disc that's removed all the components I don't want, slipstreamed sp2 onto it, added sata, bus, network, and other drivers, and made it unattended. Getting .net onto it is the last piece of the puzzle if somebody could kindly point me to a guide :). I hate to ask such seemingly simple questions because I'm sure it's been answered but even when searching using this site's search and searching on google I can't find out how to do it.

Ive not tried it yet, but downloaded it ready... I believe it has been configured with the necessary switches to silent install, so would you just install it as you would any other app/prog, it is an exe afterall???

Edited by drscouse

RyanVM's latest SunJava and .NET silent install packs don't work at all, whether installing them manually or putting them in an unattended setup. Both of them start out fine with the little window that says its "gathering required info" or something like that, and they both get about half way through that then they just sit there doing nothing. I waited nearly 10 minutes for them both to continue, but no such luck. Had to kill the tasks to get rid of them.

Unless you really want to save 5 megs, just use the original .exe from Sun and the silent switches built into it. Works great. As for .NET, I use RyanVM's last version that just has the SP1 integrated and then silently install the hotfix afterwards from RunOnceEx.cmd.

Let me get this straight, first you can't manage to read the directions on my site. Then you can't get the programs on my site to work (nevermind that myself and thousands of others have) - any then you're going to say authoritatively that my stuff doesn't "work at all"? :rolleyes: