Explorer.exe

siuhrebel

I have a laptop that won't boot up. It gets me as far as xp screen but no desk top. I do an ctrl, alt delete and find that the process "explorer.exe administartor " is useing anywhere from 67% to 99% of my cpu usage. Because it's the explorer.exe process if I shut it down of course I won't be able to get to the desk top. The person who owns this laptop said that Nortons discovered a trogan before all of this started happening. Any ideas how I can get into this system so that I can run a virus check?

Thanks

Go ahead and end the explorer process and hit control alt delete to bring up task manager and click file -> run and run your AV software..

Best bet is to do this in safe mode.

I thought that the explorer.exe controlled among other things the "DESKTOP"

I did as you said before and the desk top never came up.

I thought that the explorer.exe controlled among other things the "DESKTOP"

I did as you said before and the desk top never came up.

You don't need "Desktop" to run your software. You only need a command line, which you get from the Task Manager already mentioned above.

To get explorer to come back up to to taskmanager and click on file then run and type explorer.exe and hit ok. this will bring back your desktop.

As for the problem.. I recommend if explorer.exe is taking 99% cpu usage to kill the process to leave processing power for AV and Spyware programs to run their scans.. while your at it you might as well run sfc.exe /scannow to fix your system files