Reg key required for start menu e-mail client icon

chiners_68

Currently have office 2000 installed & the start menu default mail icon is set to outlook 2000. When I do an install of office 2003 over the top it does not update this icon to outlook 2003.exe path. Does anyone know the reg key for me to set up a script to change this.

cheers

Create a reg file and put this into it. It will create an outlook 2003 icon on your desktop.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\{00020D75-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]

This is part of a inf file I use for installing TheBat!, you can modify it for your needs:

[Version] 
Signature=$Windows NT$

[DefaultInstall]
AddReg=DefaultClient

[DefaultClient]
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail",,,"The Bat!"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\The Bat!",,,"The Bat!"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\The Bat!","DLLPath",,"%16422%\The Bat!\TBMapi.DLL"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\The Bat!\Protocols\mailto",,,"URL:MailTo Protocol"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\The Bat!\Protocols\mailto","EditFlags",0x00010001,2
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\The Bat!\Protocols\mailto\DefaultIcon",,,"%16422%\The Bat!\thebat.exe,0"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\The Bat!\Protocols\mailto\shell\open\command",,,"""%16422%\T
he Bat!\thebat.exe"" %1"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\The Bat!\Shell\open\command",,,""%16422%\The Bat!\thebat.exe""

thanks for your assistance guys but im still not getting it.

Yzowl,

there is 3 mail clients listed in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail

outlook

outlook express

hotmail

there is no straight directory below called defaulticon but its in \Protocols\mailto\DefaultIcon under all 3 mail clients. all these are set but not one is actually the default one to set for what you want displayed.

the problem is a HKCU problem as I can manually set mine but when another user logs in they get the old icon till they set manually.

any ideas?

ok.

i have fixed the problem for the user which is logged in with this

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartPage]

"Favorites"=hex:00,16,00,00,00,14,00,1f,80,f5,a1,59,25,d7,21,d4,11,bd,af,00,c0,\

4f,60,b9,f0,00,00,00,16,00,00,00,14,00,1f,80,f4,a1,59,25,d7,21,d4,11,bd,af,\

00,c0,4f,60,b9,f0,00,00,ff

"FavoritesChanges"=dword:00000007

I got to this by doing a reg compare before & after, manually setting & removing reg parts slowly to find what effected the change.

problem i now have is getting this to work for the default user profile so all new users will get the change. whaere in the registry does the default user section resdie.? I thought it was HKusers\.Default\ but that didnt work adding to there.

Edited by chiners_68