Unattended Install Program development

Hi all,

I'm starting a project over the next few weeks to develop a program similar in nature to the Microsoft BDD Enterprise Edition. My plan is to develop a system that allows multiple builds of unattended installs to be managed in the one applications. From source file locations and unattend.txt file settings to post install applications as well as bug tracking and release management.

Unfortunately for me if i was to do all the work myself it would be out of data by the time it was finished. So I guess you'd call this recruitment. Anyone who is interested in helping out the skills i need are .net programmers and scripters.

If you'd like to help please send me a message and we will discuss further.

I am preparing all-in-one deployment project for one presentation.

I should have everything inside... From PXE through profile migration to something like free "SMS". It is almost finished, I just need to make two things:

a.) run that stupid BartPE (see my problem in PE thread)

b.) finish lite-"SMS". Currently I have implemented method that will install SW using RunOnceEx, for future I am planning using psexec or similar method.

2Nois: What do you mean? Sorry, didnt understand :( My "sms" will be based on filesystem (like *nix programs) with batch services combination (see my blog if you dont know what I mean, I really love this method :))

2jachin: It is not GUI based yet. However if you are interested, you could join the ship :D

Should I describe my solution more to depth?

Some more explaination would be good. I'm am looking at building an applications that can be used in a corporate environment by those who don't know all that much about unattended installs. As such I'd like to hide the complexity of scripting and batch files behind and intelligent GUI that can do all the hard work.

The best way to do this would be with a .net app. Anything you can do in WSH/CMD can be done in C# and information about different builds can be stored in an Access or MSDE Database.

Have a look at the image sectino of the Microsoft Solution Accelerator for Business Desktop Deployment @ http://www.microsoft.com/technet/desktopde...ddoverview.mspx

It has a HTA that acts as a GUI and stores build information in a series of XML data files. It also has some smarts built in do installl line-of-business apps after installing windows with the ability to cope with reboots and dynamic application addition/removal. Microsoft have done a lot of nice work in this area, I think with very little effort you could write a very useful/powerful application to manage desktop deployment for corporate users.

Martin,

I believe I understand about how you like to structure your filing system. It is a sound approach. Let me put it another way...

1. Is your "Lite-SMS" going to be used to deploy software to desktops already in use?

2. Or, is it going to be used ONLY during the automated-build process. While Windows is auto-logging on under the Local Administrator account.

3. If #1 = true, how do you plan on handling users that DONT have administrator rights? How are you planning on initiating the software installations?

There two kinds of usage. First is for already installed machines - it is performing online/offline commands... It depends on you how you use this tool - you can use psexec for remote installations, you can use scheduled tasks or (my favourite) create protected secondary logon.

I already implemented few different abilities - for example computer groups, onsite/offsite processing (for example onsite is WOL, offsite is secondary logon operations) etc...

I will try to find some time to post it here next week. First I would like to finish ProtectUA project...

I am preparing all-in-one deployment project for one presentation.

I should have everything inside... From PXE through profile migration to something like free "SMS". It is almost finished, I just need to make two things:

a.) run that stupid BartPE (see my problem in PE thread)

b.) finish lite-"SMS". Currently I have implemented method that will install SW using RunOnceEx, for future I am planning using psexec or similar method.

sweet program you have going on there. I read your blog, and that software suite, sounds amazing.

I would love to see this in action. :thumbup

Sign me up for beta testing.

Edited by hazard_abio