Bought a CPU and need advice

denzilla

I bought this P4 3.4 Ghz cpu off a guy in another forum. He described as a pull from a fileserver and said it was in perfect working order. He was only asking $50 and I only had a 2.8Ghz P4, so I thought I was getting a helluva good upgrade. Anyway, I bought the cpu and opened it today to find the bottom covered in thermal compound. Its on the pins and there is no way to clean it off without damaging the cpu that I'm aware of. The guy claims that the cpu is fine and he always squirts thermal compound in the pin holes on the MB incase watercooling is to be used? I have no experience with watercooling, so I have no idea if he's feeding me a load. It doesn't look too logical from what I see. Please look at the pics and tell me if this guy is full of it. Should I risk using this cpu in a new MB? Thanks in advance...

I don't believe that thermal compound is conductive, so I don't think it would do damage. However, since cpus run on such low voltage, I'd be nervous to risk it. Using isopropyl alcohol and a toothpick will allow you to clean off all of the thermal compound. I've honestly never heard of anyone doing that before though.

I'd say that cpu was more used with phase change cooling than with watercooling. That would prolly explain the white gooey on the pins. Its usually put on the on the socket to prevent condensation.

I usually fill up a small cup with 91% isopropyl and keep the cpu dipped in there for some time and clean up the white stuff with a cotton bud!

Edited by big poppa pump

I'd try cleaning it off as suggested. If the CPU doesn't work, go to PayPal or your CC company and get your money back.

As big poppa pump said, soaking it in isopropyl alcohol will help soften up the compound before cleaning it.

If you use a evaporator cooler (compressor, similar to the heat-pump in a refridgerator), then you will need to cover the whole CPU in something that does not lead electrisity to prevent condensation under the CPU..

A peltier module may also need condensation prevention..

He should have cleaned it before selling it..

If you install it with termal material on.. It may cause bad conductivity to the pins and it will smudge termal material in the socket to.. Wich is very hard to clean..

Edit: And remember, do not eat or drink when tuching termal compound..

It's toxic..

Clean hands very good after tuching it!

Edited by Bluelight

Hey denzilla? What did you end up doing? Did you clean it? Does the CPU work?

UPDATE!  :P

Hey again :)

We settled and he refunded the money lastnight. He's somewhat irrate and swears up and down that he's right, but I don't want to risk ruining a board. He didn't ask for the cpu back, but I'm going to mail it back anyway.

Thanks all for the advice!

Edited by denzilla

Hey wait...send me the CPU!!! (please)

I've been looking for dead/used CPUs for a little project... :P I want to make a keychain out of one after I've removed all the pins of course (or encased them somehow so I don't stab myself in the leg when they're in my pocket).

Hey wait...send me the CPU!!! (please)

I've been looking for dead/used CPUs for a little project... :P I want to make a keychain out of one after I've removed all the pins of course (or encased them somehow so I don't stab myself in the leg when they're in my pocket).

Send us a pic when your done!

~ fireware

If you clean that CPU, it will work totally fine..

As I have already written..

You can search for forums with subjects of Evaporator cooler and how to isolate the CPU in goop..

I'm sure he used it like that with a non-conductive termal material, and just wants to upgrade his system..

I whould buy the CPU and clean it! :P