Autoplay function is missing :(

Cybertronic

I haven't removed the Shell Services in my nLited Windows XP Pro, but the Autoplay function (tab) is missing when you go to the properties of CD/USB Drives, I didn't used any registry tweaks that disables this function. The Shell Hardware Detection service requires RPC (automatic), and it's telling me this whenever I try to start the service :(:

Could not start the Shell Hardware Detection service on Local Computer.

Error 1083: The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service.

Also, My Music and My Pictures have disappeared off my Start Menu and in My Documents, setting it to show Start Meny properties and registry doesn't work either :no:, I have not removed them in nLite which is strange :blink:

I've attached my Last Session.ini to this post, please help :thumbup

Last_Session.ini

Edited by Cybertronic

I posted this a couple of day ago, with my .ini too:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=51392

Basically with Sp2, I lost autoplay and proper CD-ROM icon update. Hardware detection still works, as the system recognizes and automatically installs the drivers for all the devices (also external) I've tried.

At first I though I was doing something wrong, but using the same presets on a WinXP with SP1 everything is fine and working.

Ok, now I remember having the same thing with beta 4 but in beta 5 it's ok.

Do you know what I did different...haven't used RVM pack...seems there is some issue with removal or it's one of the hotfixes in there like that Explorer lan thing.

Integrate only public critical hotfixes and you will be fine.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had exactly the same issue as Cybertronic, when installing XP Pro (SP2) using nLite 1.3.5 for the first time this morning (have used previous versions many times without encountering this issue before), i.e. the absence of autoplay, the shell hardware service not running, and the same 1083 error msg in event viewer when trying to start that service.

I determined that it was caused by an svchost error. The Shell Hardware Detection Service is configured to run under netsvs - but it was incorrectly listed in the relevant reg key. If you go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SvcHost

then double-click on 'netsvcs', the relevant service name (ShellHWDetection) should be included in the list of services. In mine, 'ShellHWDetection' appeared at the end of the list, with a blank space between it and the other items. Odd. So anyway, by removing the blank gap, and inserting the name in it's proper place in the list, upon restarting Windows, Shell Hardware Detection service was running properly, the DVD drive was now recognised, and autoplay function was back!

Haven't worked out yet what caused this to happen on this occasion, but hopefully this fix might help anyone who encounters the same problem...

I noticed that after integrating SP2 using RyanVm (for post-SP2 updates) and Nlite 1.3.5 (SP2 and a couple of tweaks) my "my Videos" directory was missing from the start menu. I was testing the OS with a VM so Its difficult to tell whether autoplay was working or not. Im hoping that autoplay will still work when I go to actually install

Edited by dfarce