OemPnPDriversPath and OemInfFiles

Hi :hello:.

My MB is a MSI K8N Neo Platinium based on nForce3 250 Gb chipset. I successfully managed to integrate nVidia SATA/RAID controller driver in my unattended installation, thanks to the OemInfFiles method described here. I was forced to use the 5.35 non-WHQL drivers included in the pataraid directory of the nforce 7.13 package, because, according the .inf files, they are the only ones to support nForce3 (all nVidia chipsets in fact). Actually the WHQL drivers in sata_ide and sataraid seem to only support nForce4 and nForce4 IE chipsets.

Here is my problem. I didn't managed to integrate WHQL non-mass storage drivers (like AMD K8 driver) using OemPnPDriversPath=... in the [unattended] section of WINNT.SIF :

;SetupMgrTag

[Data]
   AutoPartition=0
   MsDosInitiated=0
   UnattendedInstall=Yes
   OemDrivers=OemInfFiles

[Unattended]
   UnattendMode=FullUnattended
   OemSkipEula=Yes
   OemPreinstall=Yes
   OemFilesPath="..\$OEM$"    
   TargetPath=\WINDOWS
   UnattendSwitch=Yes
   WaitForReboot=No
   CrashDumpSetting=0
   DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
   ExtendOemPartition=0
   Filesystem=ConvertNTFS    
   Hibernation=No
   NtUpgrade=No
   Win9xUpgrade=No
   Repartition=No
   KeyboardLayout="French"
   OemPnPDriversPath="Drivers\001_cpu;Drivers\002_wifi"

[GuiUnattended]
   AdminPassword=*
   EncryptedAdminPassword=NO
   AutoLogon=Yes    
   OEMSkipRegional=1
   TimeZone=105
   OemSkipWelcome=1

[UserData]
   ProductID=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
   FullName="XXXXXXX"
   OrgName=""
   ComputerName="XXXX"

[Display]
   BitsPerPel=32
   Xresolution=1280
   YResolution=1024
   Vrefresh=60

[RegionalSettings]
   LanguageGroup=1
   Language=040C

[Identification]
   JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP

[Networking]
   InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[Components]
   accessopt=off
   chat=off
   dialer=off
   hypertrm=off
   mousepoint=off
   msnexplr=off
   freecell=off
   hearts=off
   minesweeper=off
   pinball=off
   solitaire=off
   spider=off
   zonegames=off
   media_clips=off
   media_utopia=off  
   mswordpad=off
   rec=off
   clipbook=off
   wmaccess=off
   wmpocm=off

[WindowsFirewall]
   Profiles = WindowsFirewall.TurnOffFirewall

[WindowsFirewall.TurnOffFirewall]
   Mode = 0

[OemInfFiles]
OemDriverFlags=1
OemDriverPathName="%SystemRoot%\OemDir"
OemInfName="nvatax64.inf","nvrdx64.inf"

In fact, setup seemed to skip the OemPnPDriversPath line because once the installation is finished, I saw in the device manager that Windows installed its proper AMD K8 driver, whereas it was supposed to be the last 1.2.2.0 driver from AMD.

So I was wondering if it were due to the [OemInfFiles] section presence, and if there was a way to force setup to use drivers mentionned at the OemPnPDriversPath line.

Sorry for having being a bit long and thanks for your answers.

@Silentman:

the [OemInfFiles] entry shouldn't be the cause of the problem.

try checking setupapi.log in the WINDOWS root folder. find the line where windows skips the installation of that driver.

why not try installing that AMD K8 driver using OemInfFiles. ;)

let us know if it works.

Thank you for your answer Phreez.

Here's an extract from setupapi.log :

#I022 Found "ACPI\AuthenticAMD_-_AMD64_Family_15_Model_12" in C:\WINDOWS\inf\cpu.inf; Device: "AMD K8 Processor"; Driver: "AMD K8 Processor"; Provider: "Microsoft"; Mfg: "Advanced Micro Devices"; Section name: "AmdK8_Inst".
#I023 Actual install section: [AmdK8_Inst.NT]. Rank: 0x00000000. Driver date: 10/01/2002. Version: 5.2.3790.1830.
#I022 Found "ACPI\AuthenticAMD_-_AMD64_Family_15" in C:\Drivers\002_cpu\amdk8.inf; Device: "Processeur AMD K8"; Driver: "Processeur AMD K8"; Provider: "Advanced Micro Devices"; Mfg: "Advanced Micro Devices"; Section name: "AmdK8_Inst".
#I023 Actual install section: [AmdK8_Inst.NT]. Rank: 0x00000002. Driver date: 10/26/2004. Version: 1.2.2.0.
#-166 Device install function: DIF_SELECTBESTCOMPATDRV.
#I063 Selected driver installs from section [AmdK8_Inst] in "c:\windows\inf\cpu.inf".
#I320 Class GUID of device remains: {50127DC3-0F36-415E-A6CC-4CB3BE910B65}.
#I060 Set selected driver.
#I058 Selected best compatible driver.

I'm not an expert but apparently setup seems to consider its own driver is more compatible than the one from AMD, and I don't see why.

I'm gonna follow your advice and try installing AMD driver using OemInfFiles. Thus we will know if we can install WHQL drivers with this method.

Which annoys me is that I don't manage to get VMware workstation 5 work on WinXP 64, so I have to make an install once again in order to try.

why not try installing that AMD K8 driver using OemInfFiles.  ;)

let us know if it works.

Here I'm back after another installation. :hello:

So the verdict : IT WORKED ! :thumbup

Here is an extract of setupapi.log :

#I022 Found "ACPI\AuthenticAMD_-_AMD64_Family_15_Model_12" in C:\WINDOWS\inf\cpu.inf; Device: "AMD K8 Processor"; Driver: "AMD K8 Processor"; Provider: "Microsoft"; Mfg: "Advanced Micro Devices"; Section name: "AmdK8_Inst".
#I023 Actual install section: [AmdK8_Inst.NT]. Rank: 0x00000000. Driver date: 10/01/2002. Version: 5.2.3790.1830.
#I022 Found "ACPI\AuthenticAMD_-_AMD64_Family_15" in C:\WINDOWS\inf\oem2.inf; Device: "Processeur AMD K8"; Driver: "Processeur AMD K8"; Provider: "Advanced Micro Devices"; Mfg: "Advanced Micro Devices"; Section name: "AmdK8_Inst".
#I023 Actual install section: [AmdK8_Inst.NT]. Rank: 0x00000002. Driver date: 10/26/2004. Version: 1.2.2.0.
#-166 Device install function: DIF_SELECTBESTCOMPATDRV.
#I319 Driver "Processor" in "c:\windows\inf\cpu.inf" section [Processor_Inst] skipped (DNF_BAD_DRIVER).
#I319 Driver "AMD K8 Processor" in "c:\windows\inf\cpu.inf" section [AmdK8_Inst] skipped (DNF_BAD_DRIVER).
#I063 Selected driver installs from section [AmdK8_Inst] in "c:\windows\inf\oem2.inf".
#I320 Class GUID of device remains: {50127DC3-0F36-415E-A6CC-4CB3BE910B65}.
#I060 Set selected driver.
#I058 Selected best compatible driver.
#-124 Doing copy-only install of "ACPI\AUTHENTICAMD_-_AMD64_FAMILY_15_MODEL_12\_0".
#-336 Copying file "C:\WINDOWS\OemDir\AmdK8.sys" to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\AmdK8.sys" via temporary file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\SET14F.tmp".

We can see that setup skipped the installation of its own driver and choosed the AMD one.

So I got only one word to say : Phreez, you're a genious! Because this method is much faster and easier than for example the one in which we have to modify TXTSETUP.SIF (the one I used with WinXP 32).

Actually it seems to work with mass storage drivers and non mass storage ones, WHQL or not.

So it would be very interesting that some members try this method with WHQL mass storage drivers, like the intel or the via one, in order to confirm it works.

Once again, thanks.