CTRL-ALT-DEL for Task Manager w/o Welcome Screen?

jisin63

I've been searching for awhile, but I still haven't found the solution. I am the only person who uses this computer, so I want to disable the Welcome Screen and Fast User Switching. However, I want to keep the original setup: I want ctrl-alt-del to bring up the Task Manager and I want the shut down prompt to be the three simple buttons. Any Ideas? Thanks guyz!

Well its easy to disable the welcome/fast user switching, and i think you've figured that out, but i dont think you can have the 3 buttons

ive noticed that the task manager only comes up with the welcome screen on so it a bugger about that

I'll keep looking around for you.

Yeah I want something similar to that, I want the welcome screen with fast user switching, but I also want ctrl-alt-del to not bring up task manager, so it goes to the usual screen with 6 buttons (one of which is task manager) and so you can lock your computer.

Well there's nothing *wrong* with it, I would just really prefer to have both working. Also, I still want to have the original three-button shutdown menu. Thanks for all your help so far!

There's a WHACK load of keyboard shortcuts in Windows. Lots of which we can never remember!

Ctrl-Esc: Open Start Menu

Alt-Tab: Switch Application

Ctrl-Alt-Del: Task Manager

Those are the only ones I remember and use.

• 1 month later...

Yeap I'm want to bring up Task Manger via CTRL+ALT+DEL instead of the **** Windows Security Screen.

When you use the keyboard combination CTRL+ALT+DEL to open the Windows Security window, Task Manager is opened instead. This issue occurs if you configured Microsoft Windows XP to use the Welcome screen.

To resolve this issue, disable the Welcome screen. To do this, follow these steps:

1. In Control Panel, click User Accounts.

2. Click "Change the way users log on or off".

3. Click to clear the "Use the welcome screen for fast and easy logon" check box.

4. Click OK.

NOTE: The "Fast User Switching" option is disabled if the Welcome screen is disabled.

Most of the options that are available on the Windows Security window, including the "Locking the computer" option, can be selected on the Shut Down menu in Task Manager. You can also lock the computer by using the Windows logo key+L keyboard combination.

Edited by war59312