6600GT Or 9800PRO

BombaTwist

hehe, ive been ranting here about my upgrades but i got 2 down and 1 to go :thumbup

the topic says it all, im thinking about upgrading my computer, the most i need help is with my video card,

Specs:

Amd Athlon XP 2200+ Socket A Thoroughbred B

Biostar M7VIG Pro Socket A mATX with AGP 2.0, 3 PCI slots and 1 CNR

S3 Graphics Prosavage at 32mb memory shared

256mb Ram at PC 2700, but runs at PC 2100 speeds(will add 512mb to it)

2x 40GB Western Digital HD at 7200 RPM

LG CD-ROM

Standard 400W Power Supply(will upgrade to an ePower Tagan)

well the thing is im choosing between

This MSI nVidia GeForce 6600GT and

This ATi Radeon 9800Pro

the thing i like about the GeForce 6600GT is that its powerful and stronger than the 9800PRO, but the downside is that im not sure how high the performance will be since i have weak specs, the thing i like about the 9800PRO is that it was once one of the top video cards, its performance is great, and its like 60%-80% of the GeForce 6600GT's price, but the downside is that, now all the video cards are beginning to fade away since all these graphical games like BattleField 2 are out and the 9800PRO will be outdated in a year or so, well in my opinion anyways, so i need help choosing, which one should i pick?

right now im leaning towards the 9800PRO

Source Of Person Running A 6600GT With Worse specs than mines

A Quote From Newegg's Review of the 9800PRO i chose

Wow. This GPU is amazing. I went and upgraded from a 4 ti 4200, and this thing is running circles around my old card. Doom 3 absolutly halls on this card, i run it at 1024 res with detail high and my proc is only an Amd Athlon XP 2000+ running at 1.8!! Tried the Half Life 2 demo, and it also is running that very nicely. I average about 60 FPS in HL2, sometimes it does get a tiny bit of slowdown but remember my proc is old school!! I would recommned this GPU to anyone looking for a nice upgrade, but if you have the cash go with the X800 pro from ATI or the 6800 GT from nVIDIA. Both amazing cards, and this 9800 pro sure is a winner!!!

My good old System:

Amd Athlon XP 2000+ @ roughly 1.8 (ooold school hehe)

Soyo K7VMP2 mobo 8X AGP

1024 333 PC2700 RAM major brand?

WD 55.5 gig hard drive @ 7200 RPM ( not a bad little drive)

350 PSU

Windows XP Pro

Logitec MX 510 mouse ( very nice, get it !!)

Logitec Eltie Gaming keyboard (very nice keyboard)

Visual Sensations Moniter

Not even a competiton, 6600GT is at least 40% better.

yes but that better part, will be bottlenecked because of my specs =O. i know that 9800PRO will run full performance on my system =D.

So then you will have some as a reserve to kick in when upgrading the rest of system... ;)

heh by the time i do that, the 6600GT might be close to being outdated :whistle:

Edited by BombaTwist

if you pick the right 9800 card, you can save some money by getting the 9800se and unlocking it w/ a bios flash to a full 9800xt and enjoy all 8 pipelines and features (like overdrive). The key is getting the right card (might as well get a 9800se w/ 256 ram while you are at it IMO)

but the downside is that, now all the video cards are beginning to fade away since all these graphical games like BattleField 2 are out and the 9800PRO will be outdated in a year or so, well in my opinion anyways, so i need help choosing, which one should i pick?

Today's hardware was already outdated yesterday....best not to dwell on these matters too deeply.

The 9800 pro and 6600gt will be pretty close in directX performace, with the 6600gt usually keeping slight lead. When it comes to OpenGL performance the 6600gt will really lay the boots to the 9800pro though.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2277&p=3

Look over the specs very carefully when buying. If you look closely at the specs available on newegg, some manufacturers set the cards memory to run at 900MHz, while others run at 1000MHz. You would obviously want the faster memory, so shop wisely.

if you pick the right 9800 card, you can save some money by getting the 9800se and unlocking it w/ a bios flash to a full 9800xt and enjoy all 8 pipelines and features (like overdrive). The key is getting the right card (might as well get a 9800se w/ 256 ram while you are at it IMO)
but the downside is that, now all the video cards are beginning to fade away since all these graphical games like BattleField 2 are out and the 9800PRO will be outdated in a year or so, well in my opinion anyways, so i need help choosing, which one should i pick?

Today's hardware was already outdated yesterday....best not to dwell on these matters too deeply.

well yes i could do that buy a 9800SE card but i cant seem to find one thats compatible with AGP 2.0 X_X.