Integrating Windows Installer 3.1

I'm trying to integrate the Windows Installer 3.1 update into my Windows XP Professional Corporate (French) distribution folder and I receive the following error:

"An error has occurred while attempting to integrate this software update package. Verify that the architecture, language, and servic pack level of this software update are valid for the target distribution folder."

My distribution folder has Service Pack 2 integrated into it.

The command line I use is: WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe /integrate:C:\WXPVOL_FR

It appears that the hotfix is the same file for both the english and french version of XP. Most hotfixes have a -ENU or -FRA ending to diferentiate them, but this one does not... any ideas on how to force slipstream this update into the french version?

If you have winrar installed, right click the hotfix file and extract it.

take the 5 msi*.* files and recompress them into your I386 directory.

NOTE: there may be uncompressed versions of thses files already in I386, delete them.

Shark

Edited by Shark007

I agree with you Shark007, but fot n00b which buy a new PC , the WFP must be activated ... so if anyone has tested manual integration, he can say if WFP is affected, thanks.

Goodbye.

If you have winrar installed, right click the hotfix file and extract it.

take the 5 msi*.* files and recompress them into your I386 directory.

NOTE: there may be uncompressed versions of thses files already in I386, delete them.

Shark

Congrats, works beautiful. I tested it last night and btw, for those wondering, it does not affect Windows File Protection. The installation goes smoothly and upon checking Windows Update, it does not ask to install it.

This information could be useful for anyone who's trying to slipstream Windows Installer 3.1 into a non US English version of XP.

Thanks again Shark007.

What does the dllcache have to do with anything?

dllcache only caches dlls that have been loaded and/or accessed recently for performance reasons. It should have absolutely no bearing on the windows file protection? :blink:

The test for WFP would be to see if the files are in dllcache (they should be). My bet is they won't be ;)

Hi, I'm also trying to slipstream Windows Installer 3.1 with a Dutch version of XP. So Should i do it the way described above, or will it cause any problems cause the files aren't in dllcache? :}

PS Ryan, Your update pack made creating my unattended cd a lot easier... You rock!! :thumbup

Of coarse you could always use the file listed on this link to slipstream all your updates in one shot. The subject line says w2k, but the program works with xp too. Why mess around with svcpack when you don't need to? BTW, there's some registry info that is needed when you do slipstream the installer. The script file below takes care of all of that stuff.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=32125