Creating Switchless iTunes 4.9

rikgale

Creating a switchless iTunes was a quite simple effort and used two guides already posted on these Forums, so I shall probably do a fair amount of refering and quoting to save having to write everything out again.

The guides that I followed were:

1) How to Make a 7-Zip Switcless installer

2) The Ulitmate Unattended Guide for iTunes

I followed Points 1 - 6 from guide 1), I skipped steps 7 and 8, by downloading RyanVM's 7zS.sfx from his site. However I can't find the link again. If someone does know the link please post and I'll edit this post. You will probably have to rename the itunes installer to somthing other than itunessetup.exe as this doesn't confirm to the 8.3 naming convention.

AFter this I followed guide 2), paying attention to the post by Durex (Post #5) for the copying of the prefereances. You can created a .cmd file which can be called by the 7-zip installer. It will probably look like this

cmdow @ /HID
@echo off

start /wait SetupIT.exe /S /V"ISSETUPDRIVEN=0 ASSUME_MEDIA_DEFAULTS=1 ASSUME_QT_DEFAULTS=0 ALLUSERS=1 SILENT_INSTALL=1 /QN"

ECHO.
ECHO Killing off Quicktime...
REG ADD "HKLM\Software\Apple Computer, Inc.\QuickTime\ActiveX" /V "QTTaskRunFlags" /T "REG_DWORD" /D "00000002" /F
COPY "QuickTime.qtp" "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\APPLICATION DATA\QUICKTIME\QuickTime.qtp" /Y
TASKKILL.EXE /F /IM QTTASK.EXE
ECHO F | XCOPY /Y "APiTunes.pre" "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iTunes.pref"
ECHO F | XCOPY /Y "LOiTunes.pre" "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iTunes.pref"

EXIT

Youl will need to extract your own preference and quicktime settings, and you will also need to rename to 8.3, but when these are copied they can be given there original names back as can be seen in the above code.

Step 9 in guide 1) creates the config.txt which calls the .cmd file which does all the actual installing work. You Config.txt should look something like this.

;!@Install@!UTF-8! 
RunProgram= "itunes.cmd"
;!@InstallEnd@!

It should be saved in UTF-8 format as stated in guide 1), however using Notepad++ I did not have this option and just saved it and it seemed to work ok.

All that is then required is to create the install, by following step 12 in guide 1). Then test on a machine without itunes already installed.

Hopefully it will work, most of my issues came from problem with the 8.3 naming convention. If you struggle with making your own you can always download my copy from here

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...