RIVA TNT2 Drivers

Well, I have an nVidia RIVA TNT2 video card, with the latest MCE drivers: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxpmce_72.14.html . I installed MCE 2005 and the 72.14 drivers, and went to open the Media Center. Before it opened, I got a box saying "Your video card or drivers are not compatible with Media Center." I also can't play any videos on Media Center, getting the error that "Files needed to display video are not installed or not working correctly. Please restart Media Center and/or restart the computer.

Any ideas about what could be wrong, or what I can do to fix it?

• 2 weeks later...

If you read the release notes PDF accessible from that page, you'll see that the TNT2 model doesnt seem to be in the support Nvidia products list of that driver release. Indeed you'll notice the earlier Nvidia cards are no longer supported in the latest driver releases for the regular Windows versions. :no:

I suggest you find any card in the list and install it in your machine.

Anything above and including the GeForce 256 looks to be supported though the TNT2 range looks not to be.

Otherwise look for any previous driver releases which you can install on your machine with support for your card.

John.

Edited by mendipjohn

You have to disable the DX9 check and Media Center will run perfectly. It's not a driver thing, just install the latest drivers.

Just open regedit and point to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Display Settings

Then Add 2 DWORD KEYS called DisableDxCheck and DisableDx9CapsCheck and set both their values to 1 and media center should start without problems and without all those nasty recompiling things

• 2 weeks later...

flupke

You said that 'It's not a driver thing, just install the latest drivers'

I am running a nvidia riva tnt2 Model 64/Model 64 pro, which is supposed to be supported by MCE, but am seeing a similar thing to liquidplasmaflow. My card is in the list of supported cards but I see the error when I launch Media Center. Clicking ok takes me in but wont allow me to play any videos through it.

After adding the 2 reg keys, i know longer see the error, and now when I launch an avi/mpg, it goes into an endless flicker with a menu appearing briefly about restart, end, etc for the movie i'm trying to play.

It therefore does seem to be a directx9 issue, although i ran dcdiag and everything came back fine. How can Microsoft say its supported when you need directx9 support too for it to function? I can't find anything saying directx9 should or shouldn't work on the card.

Any help would be great, else its time to get a new graphics card :(

• 5 weeks later...

I have an older computer with onboard Riva TNT2 graphics. I've searched high and low for WinXP drivers for it, but they simply do not exist. DirectX 8.1 works fine with TNT2 on Win98se, but I wouldn't know about DirectX 9.0c

Edited by SyntaxError

Haha, there is a solution! You have to let the driver installer extract the drivers to the hard drive. Then, copy the drivers elsewhere on the disk. After that, use the Update Drivers in Windows, and manually choose the drivers in that folder. The drivers, nVidia Control Panel and everything work perfectly. You still have the use the MCE registry hack, though.

Thanks but according to Nvidia's site, the Forceware release 75 and up drivers don't support the TNT2 chipset. Forceware 71.89 is the latest that supports TNT2.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/78.01_winxp_32_supported.html

scroll down

EDIT: I have installed the 71.89 drivers as stated in this thread and applied the reg entries, then rebooted. Everything seems to be fine, but I'm going to install a game to make sure cause that's where the screw ups always showed up before. Also, the reg tweak is for WinMCE, not XP. Is there an XP specific tweak?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Display Settings

This entry does not exist in the XP registry, so I created it.

EDIT: Installed a game (red faction) and get random crashes in the options menu. Can't even get into the game proper. Guess this trick doesn't work after all.

Edited by SyntaxError