new firefox spyware! help me!

shadowfla

helo everyone. ive tried reinstalling firefox. it is defiinitely an external process.

scanning under safe mode didnt help.

hijack this didnt help (ive tried it before as laready mentioned)

sleepnmojo, what is the next thing i should check up? now that it is understood that it is an external process?

Read this posting then, with your HijackThis log post a new topic here.

I deal with malware all the time, what you have is an external malware application that is opening your default browser (firefox) to these malware sites.

I'll clean your HijackThis log, just be sure to follow the PC Maintenance directions before you post your log.

My next step would be to check for a program. Check the auto start locations. The best tool I have found for this is autoruns by sysinternals. If you find anything that you are unsure of, disable it, and then google the exe name. If you have a process that runs under the current user, you should kill it, then try to delete the key. Some like to keep coming back, so what I usually do is load the registry under another user, and delete the keys that way. The most important are the HKLM ones though, because you don't want to infect all the users.

If you don't find it there, check for services also. I've seen some try to install as a service.

If none of that works it is most likely a dll, bound in the BHOs. Open up spybot, and look for any questionable ones. You should be able to remove the BHO, but some are tricky. I would write down the dll, and then use regsvr and unregister the dll first. Some are nice and uninstall, some play hardball. Just delete it (unless it won't let you). Most spyware I've seen installs in a directory with other dlls. I usually unregister these too, and delete them. If you have one that won't delete, let us know, and we can tell you had to handle it.

More popular Firefox gets, more of a target it will become for spammers. Thankfully, IE still holds its share above 90%, thus concentrating most of the spammers on it. Firefox is not bulletproof, no software is.

Besides, read my signature.

I agree with your signature - isnt FF meant to be perfect and not get attacked with spyware and stuff.

As for you problem most of the people here have given you great answers to help you

as the same as one up there i would have said about the check Task Manager or run IE to see if it happens

Have you had any luck yet?

Edited by matt5108

More popular Firefox gets, more of a target it will become for spammers. Thankfully, IE still holds its share above 90%, thus concentrating most of the spammers on it. Firefox is not bulletproof, no software is.

The only thing that is getting past Firefox are some popup ads which are built into Flash and some rare javascript. It's far more secure than IE, still. Even more secure than IE7.

I agree with your signature - isnt FF meant to be perfect and not get attacked with spyware and stuff.

As for you problem most of the people here have given you great answers to help you as the same as one up there i would have said about the check Task Manager or run IE to see if it happens

Have you had any luck yet?

Firefox hasn't been hit with spyware yet. Only a few sparse rumors or when there was an exploit people misinterperted it as spyware, adware, etc.

If shadowfla will move his/her post to the Malware Prevention forum when they post their HijackThis log the malware infection can be cleaned and removed. All of the IE fans gloating about the name of this topic, note this: shadowfla does not have Firefox spyware. As of this date there still is no known Firefox spyware.