new firefox spyware! help me!

shadowfla

Hello fellow anti spyware soldiers

my firefox 1.0.4 has been infected by something!

every 2 minutes one of my open tabs redirects itself to either : smileycentral, dirty hippo, spotsearch, or hotpussysingles.

its SO annoying and i cant find out what the spyware is!

i have ewido, spybot, adaware, counterspy, hijack this, spyware blaster, spyware guard, NONE of them pick it up, even with realtime protection on . Ive scanned my computer with all of these softwares and removed some other misc spyware, but this problem doesnt seem to go away!

help me defeat these evail invaders!

hotpussysingles, eh? Well, nothing wrong with that. :thumbup

As others have stated, it probably isn't firefox that is infected, but rather an external process that is launching your default browser with the webpages.

Maybe you can (temporarily) set Opera or IE as the default browser and see if those browsers exhibit the same problem. Also, have you run the big three anti-spyware applications to try and rid yourself of this problem?

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/s...re/default.mspx

ok guys, as mentioned in original post ive scanned using all the big anti spyware programs

but thanks for the tip on plugins, i checked the extensions and all the extensions are normal, but when i checked the plugins folder i found "Icenet" corporation dlls and even a netpumper plugin dll. From previous knowledge i know that netpumper plugin is spyware. so this may have been the problem, the only way is to wait and see. thanks for the help everyone

edit: forgot to mention, id already checked the processes list one by one, nothing suspicious on it

Edited by shadowfla

Why don't you just uninstall firefox, delete the folder to get the extra files, then reinstall. Make a new profile, and that should be the easiest way to clean it. You can grab your bookmarks.htm, and prefs.js file. Now you have a clean install of firefox again. If it shows the same problems, it is something else in your system.

More popular Firefox gets, more of a target it will become for spammers. Thankfully, IE still holds its share above 90%, thus concentrating most of the spammers on it. Firefox is not bulletproof, no software is.

Besides, read my signature.

that woudlnt work i think because it seems to be an external process that starts the pages. the fix i mentioned before didnt work, my problem is still there. ill try reinstall and see what happens

Its not to fix the problem. It is to rule out the possibility of spyware in firefox. If it is an external program, they are a lot easier to rule out, as there are a limited number of places that it can start up automatically.

I'm trying to find out if it is a problem that would be firefox specific, which I doubt it is. Most likely he had spyware installed already and it downloaded some updates.

People shouldn't fall behind the false security of "spyware removers". Learn to use them as tools to remove it yourself.

.......i have ewido, spybot, adaware, counterspy, hijack this, spyware blaster, spyware guard, NONE of them pick it up, even with realtime protection on . Ive scanned my computer with all of these softwares and removed some other misc spyware, but this problem doesnt seem to go away!

help me defeat these evail invaders!

Try to do the scan in safe mode.

helo everyone. ive tried reinstalling firefox. it is defiinitely an external process.

scanning under safe mode didnt help.

hijack this didnt help (ive tried it before as laready mentioned)

sleepnmojo, what is the next thing i should check up? now that it is understood that it is an external process?