Drivers from CD: Simple Method

a06lp

Updated the topic title, sent you a PM.

Thanks.

@all:

Added new Download Link (see first post).

Please use that one as much as possible, to save on my own bandwidth.

Thanks!

Edited by a06lp

If this is a procedure to install drivers that got an .inf(nvidia forceware got both inf and setup.exe in its dir) what procedure should i use to integrate drivers that only got setup.exe with setup.ini but no .inf? ie

- HWM83627-W2K3 (winbond monitor)

- WDM_A379 (realtek acl650 ac97, DriverVer=10/24/2005,5.10.00.5950)

(some examples)

Edited by theo343

I found out that drivers with only setup.exe, setup.ini and cab files you can use a procedure to unpack the cabs and get the files you need.

- Google for the executable named 'i6comp.exe'.

- Then place it in the %windir%\system32 folder.

- open a cmd window in the folder in which you've extracted the setup of the monitor drivers.

- Now enter the following command:

CODE

i6comp.exe x data1.cab

- And voila: there's the inf file (and the other files) you need!

• 3 weeks later...

Updated the download link again (see first post).

Thanks to Alanoll for uploading the zip file to MSFN's server.

Try to use the first download link if possible. The second one is only there as a backup.

• 3 weeks later...

1. Way too much trouble, and I fuss over alot of things.

2. You STILL wind up copying files to HDD.

3. (most important) Winnt.sif adds supports for extra drivers

and if you really shudder at the though of using a del command in you scripts, you may not know how windows uses you HDD in the first place.

4. Why am I wasting my time with this post? Good question! BYE!! :wacko:

actually this method works for slipstreaming sata driver with it....

i dun use OemPnPDriversPath=DRIVERS\ in winnt.sif or copy any sata on my harddisk...

i just edit the txtsetup.sif for hardware stuff ...

and copy some nvraid.SY_ , VIAMRAID.SY_ SI3132.SY_ IASTOR.SY_

in the i386 folder and everything is install well...

just let who dunno about it only... =)

Cheers

1. Way too much trouble, and I fuss over alot of things.

2. You STILL wind up copying files to HDD.

3. (most important) Winnt.sif adds supports for extra drivers

and if you really shudder at the though of using a del command in you scripts, you may not know how windows uses you HDD in the first place.

4. Why am I wasting my time with this post? Good question! BYE!! :wacko:

1) Still way too much trouble? It's so easy - 3 simple steps! What more do you want?

2) Umm... no you don't. What files get copied?

3) What are you talking about?

4) Bye...

actually this method works for slipstreaming sata driver with it....

i dun use OemPnPDriversPath=DRIVERS\ in winnt.sif or copy any sata on my harddisk...

i just edit the txtsetup.sif for hardware stuff ...

and copy some nvraid.SY_ , VIAMRAID.SY_ SI3132.SY_ IASTOR.SY_

in the i386 folder and everything is install well...

Just to clarify: I never said this won't work alongside a different method (which it seems you are doing for sata driver); I was saying using this method alone won't work for mass-storage drivers.

But thanks for posting that it does work, I'm sure others will find the info useful! :thumbup

• 2 weeks later...

I have 4 questions on the Simple Method.

1. Can I delete the C:\Drivers folder in T-13?

2. If my entire Driver collection is compressed, how will Windows respond if I have to reinstall a specific pnp hardware?

3. If I delete C:\Drivers at T-13, what will happen if I introduce a hardware later that was not installed during setup, but was in my Drivers.7z on the CD (all drivers compressed)?

4. Is this compatible with Windows 2000?

I have 4 questions on the Simple Method.

1. Can I delete the C:\Drivers folder in T-13?

2. If my entire Driver collection is compressed, how will Windows respond if I have to reinstall a specific pnp hardware?

3. If I delete C:\Drivers at T-13, what will happen if I introduce a hardware later that was not installed during setup, but was in my Drivers.7z on the CD (all drivers compressed)?

4. Is this compatible with Windows 2000?

1. Yes, because drivers have already been detected at this stage.

2. It will just install them from the location [where you've decompressed the drivers].

3. It will pop-up that it can't find the drivers at [where you've decompressed the drivers] and prompt for a location where they might be.

4. Yes.

Edited by Afterdawn

Thank you for the reply.

I am using vmware to test. The WatchDriverSigningPolicy would not work in my instance, so I wrote a vb6 exe that basically uses a timer control at 500ms and does an AppActivate "Digital Signature Not Found" and then sendkeys "Y", True. Not as efficient as Pyron's c+ version and is 16Kb vs. Pyron's 4K. This worked for my vmware.

Also, I don't know if this is the right forum for video drivers, but you can get more than 640x480 in VMWare during the setup when the logon box finally pops up. After you do the vm iso boot and go through all phases of the setup, you can install the VMware Tools into that instance of vm after initial logon. After that, the video drivers are located in C:\Program Files\VMWare\svga. Copy the 4 or so files to the floppy drive, close vmware so your real PC has access to the floppy drive. Add the VMWare video driver to your driver repository.

I also have a Windows Update script that you can call from RunOnceEx that will connect automatically to either a WSUS enterprise server (takes an additional registry hack) or to windowsupdate.com. Then run shutdown.exe to reboot.

Now, you can truly start setup and, in an hour or so, come back and windows will be up to date. I know some people don't like wu and actually curse at us who do, but this has helped my company tremendously.

I also noticed that I could locate the six or so files from this forum to $OEM$\bin and everything works great. I also changed the default C:\Drivers to %systemroot%\inf\oemdrivers\. This keeps my root of C uncluttered as well as my $OEM$. I already have an inhouse developed utility that I use to set Symantec AV defaults, stores the admin password encrypted (far better than MS way).

• 5 weeks later...