UFD (universal USB mass storage) not working

Hi,

I've installed the Unofficial Win98 service pack primarily to get the universal USB mass storage class. However, it doesn't work correctly. My instincts say that the drivers that were installed previously are trying to load along with the UFD driver, but I'm not sure.

When I plug in a Lexar JumpDrive, the system locks up until I remove it. When I plug in a Lexar JumpDrive Secure (which uses a different driver) or a Concorde Eye-Q camera in "Disk Mode", the system recognizes it, but doesn't assign a drive letter.

Has anyone else had this symptom, or an idea of how to fix it?

I'll try, but the 98SE Unofficial Service Pack was advertised as containing universal drivers.

It was true for old versions only (1.5 - 1.6.1 if I remember correctly), now there is no universal usb storage driver in the 98SE Unofficial Service Pack.

Petr

I'll try, but the 98SE Unofficial Service Pack was advertised as containing universal drivers.

It was true for old versions only (1.5 - 1.6.1 if I remember correctly), now there is no universal usb storage driver in the 98SE Unofficial Service Pack.

Petr

Oh. So, is there a way to uninstall the UFD driver from the Unoffical pack?

Oh. So, is there a way to uninstall the UFD driver from the Unoffical pack?

You mean if you have installed it with older SE SP?

Probably just deleting these files

C:\Windows\System32\DriversUfd.sys

C:\Windows\Iosubsys\Ufd.pdr

C:\Windows\inf\Udf.inf

and deleting all references to this driver in safe mode (USB controllers, disk controller, maybe USB disks mass storage) will be sufficient.

Petr

Well, I successfully nuked the old UFD driver. Now, all of my USB devices are recognized without freezing the computer by the USBSTOR driver from the Maximus Decim kit. However, the recognized devices STILL don't get a drive letter! :realmad:

Edited by Mr The Plague