annoying safe to shutdown screen

hermit

Guest LouCypher

Since no one else has mentioned, I just say if your motherboard is VIA based, you could try getting the 4in1 drivers off of VIA's website. It will load the VIA 4in1 INF files which add more support for the ACPI stuff on VIA motherboards. I don't know, it MIGHT help.

The link is http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2

i did try it b4

but it seemed like that the installer didn't wanna update anything

it just breezed through...

one option is to install the inf thing

i did

but it said u need to manual install it after using the installer

1. what's the inf thing for

2. where did they put the inf file....so i can install it manually?

I hope this helps....

ht*p://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/onnow/

ACPI Information from Microsoft...[/color:d2b9826e30]

Please!! no active links, only to your own site or internal pages on the server,thnx cyborg :eek: [/size:d2b9826e30]

Sorry bout that.....ooops

can't find any solution in that microsoft site

this safe to shut down screen is really really annoying

and i don't haf it b4...in xp...

anyone how to fix it man?!?!?!?!?

i really think this is the problem:

the 2 things under the computer under device manager

suppose to haf only the acpi

but don't know why my acpi one isn't working

and the standard computer one took over

how do i use the acpi one

and tell the stupid xp not to use the standard comp one

please view the images below

and u will get what i mean

thx :)

First off hermit..plz upload jpgs and such on to your own site, you can get a free one at www.freeservers.com . And for you problem, i have an idea..go to your device manger, got view and select show hidden devices, when selected..do you see a thing called "NT APM/legacy support" if so hit the + thing and it will show the "APM/Legacy interface node" hit properties and at the botom there is a thing called "device usage" make sure its enabled.

If that does not work...with all the problems you are having ..i would just reformat and renstall a fresh copy of Xp..make sure all the devices are in the mashine and see what happens, make sure there are no serious errors during the setup, and get all the drivers nessary for your hardware, get the Xp releace(or the Win2000 driver if they dont have the Xp one) of and hardware confliction you are running in to. If you have a raid or harddrive controler , get the new driver off the website for Xp or the newest one for Win2000 and See what happens...report back to us when you have either fixed the problem with my first answer or after you format and reinstall

Good luck..and if your confused with anything ....just ask

-drew

if u didn't

please see the image that i uploaded

that should explain my problem pretty clearly

thx

about that nt/apm thing, is it in the root of the device manager?

so if i turn on show hidden then i should see it?

no i didn't see it

i don't think i wanna reinstall xp

cuz the first time i install xp....my comp shuts down fine

but then i reinstall and problem occurs

i really think the last image i uploaded will help explain my problem

i m trying to get rid of the standard comp thing

and that acpi thing.....though under device usage it is enabled...there is no driver installed....and i don't know how to install a driver for it....the acpi thing is what i m sure that needs to be enabled...instead of the standard comp thing....for my comp to shut down

i really think the last image i uploaded will help explain my problem

i m trying to get rid of the standard comp thing

and that acpi thing.....though under device usage it is enabled...there is no driver installed....and i don't know how to install a driver for it....the acpi thing is what i m sure that needs to be enabled...instead of the standard comp thing....for my comp to shut down [/quote:bea31d468f]

Leave the standard Computer thing alone....thats how its sapposed to be.... here is where it get strange..under the computer icon in the device manager..you have "standard Pc" and The "power thing".. i dont have the power thing at all under the computer icon.

here is a screen shot

http://drewdatrip.freeservers.com/cgi-bin/i/StandardPC.JPG

I think you should delete that thing and reboot..then see if it finds it again and in stalls the correct drivers..if it finds it but cannot find the right drivers..pop in your Xp Cd and see if it can find them on there.

If that all dont work...nothing will! If all else fails just start from point 1..reformat you hard drive and do a fresh install of Xp..that always fixes really f***ed up s*** like this

-drew