RIS or better Solution

ChunkDog

Ok, Martin,

here are the things I would need. Thanks for asking for my input. The ideal solution for me would be something like RIS but more flexible in those areas:

1. it should be working with or without a domain

2. it should be working for a networked installation or an installation from an internal hd or DVD drive (just my personal wish so I can use one solution for home and office use)

3. it should be more flexible in the boot options, meaning, no need for PXE NIC´s, a bootdisc that can be modified to support the latest NIC´s using standard drivers (like BartPE etc.)

Then I would need the following:

.) a Menu in the bootdisc to choose installation (different windows versions etc. ideally some could be local, some on a network)

.) the possibility to change winnt.sif/unattend.txt on the fly to support changing the Windows product key, computername, organisation name, administrator name, password, adding the machine to a domain if there is one, or a workgroup. There should be a menu where the user can input those things before installation actually starts.

If possible it would be nice to do that for a local installation from DVD also (possibly by using a temp drive or ramdrive for the changed winnt.sif ?)

If all that is too much (which I guess it is) then for me, personally (don´t know about others) it would be nice if this tool could fill the gap between the normal unattended installation from a local DVD drive and the RIS installation in a domain, meaning it should allow the same things RIS does but without the need for PXE on the client side.

At least this is my personal "wishlist". I don´t know if you wanted to hear something like that or something completely differnt :P

Thanks in advance for any work you are doing !! :yes:

Bye,

Alex

Hi Alex! What you are asking for is somehow different from goals of SDS. However after SDS is ready, I would like to work on unattended guide for network installation.

What you are asking for is already available - you just need to use BartPE/WinPE + TFTPd32 (PXE server)...

• 2 weeks later...

@ChunkDog

did you have to do anything special for the OEM versions of Windows that you have set up on your RIS server??? Do you just put the $OEM$ folder next to the i386??? or do you have to put it in i386??? Just thought id ask before I startsetting mine up. Thanks in advance :D

@ChunkDog

did you have to do anything special for the OEM versions of Windows that you have set up on your RIS server???  Do you just put the $OEM$ folder next to the i386??? or do you have to put it in i386???  Just thought id ask before I startsetting mine up.  Thanks in advance  :D

Nope, it's all the same procedure. Just follow the unattended guide on this website, and that should be all the info you need. The OEM folder sits in the same folder as the I386 folder in you RIS Directory Structure. You will need to edit the ristndrd.sif file located in the templates folder, under the I386 folder. That file is the one used for the unattended install, and you can use it just like a regular answer file.

@ChunkDog

Have you tried incorporating Basharats driver packs into your RIS install???  If so, how did u go about doing so??? Thanks    :unsure:

Sorry, haven't tried that, so I'm not sure, but my guess would be that it would work fine. As far as how to use it, you'd have to check out the forum on it and ask there. Good luck!