See every thing in greyscale

pawan

When we click on turn off computer button, there is a box appear with options (logoff/restart/shudown) and after few second everything turn grayscale. Can any body suggest that how to turn the display setting to grayscale like this.

Pawan.

Edited by pawan

When we click on turn off computer button, then there is a box appear with option to logoff/restart/shudown and after few second everything turn greyscale.

This grayscale effet is made with a static screenshot displayed instead of the desktop/apps...

It sounds interesting to have this as default display... maybe with something "display driver related" ?

A color profile maybe ? (i don't know what are these pets :lol: )

bye

Are you saying that when you log off that the OS takes a greyscale screenshot, and fades that in? Sounds like an overly complex way to do it... I thought it was somthing like the alpha channel effect where we now have all these transparency applications, and could tweak this effect as well?

:o

Are you saying that when you log off that the OS takes a greyscale screenshot, and fades that in?  Sounds like an overly complex way to do it...  I thought it was somthing like the alpha channel effect where we now have all these transparency applications, and could tweak this effect as well?

:o

Hey... display something animated (like the smileys when you reply on the forum), and look what happens when you hit Start > Stop :P

(am i the only one that noticed this ????)

I don't know if it's really a "screenshot on top of the rest excluding shutdown dislog", or simply a "refresh lock"...

But it's static... (and it's not made by freezing whole processes)

If this effet is made using alpha channel, it means that for each pixel, the effect layer must compute the corresponding color & alpha level to obtain the grey... very easy to do, but it's a waste of CPU time.

A much reliable way to do that is to tell the display driver to use greyscale color space instead of RGB... (so the GPU will compute, not the CPU)

PS: it happened to me too, but with a linux distro and a "bad" display driver... so that's possible.

bye

It's got to be a static picture. I did it with Azureus loaded in the background downloading a file, and when I clicked Start -> Shut Down, the display in Azureus no longer updated. I waited a moment then clicked cancel. Azureus suddenly refreshed the display as if it had never stopped.

I'm pretty sure that Windows takes a screenshot, overlays it on top of everything else then simply removes all the color information gradually to accomplish a fade effect.