slipstream Office 2003 SP1 & rebuild CD

marek722

5. Open a command line (cmd) and change path to X:\office2003\sort. Start sort2cabs using folling syntax:CODEcscript sort2cabs.js

for successful completion md5sum.exe and makecab.exe should be placed in a directory listed in the path variable! ok, time for a cup of coffee

Can you be a little more specific on which directory to place the makecab.exe and md5sum.exe? Should they be placed in the SORT folder?
6. When the script stops you have to replace some tables in your msi packages. Use ORCA for this task:

- open zzz.msi with ORCA (replace zzz with msi package names)

- import tables called *.new.idt from X:\office2003\sort\zzz, replace the old ones, do not merge

- save (this is important, too)

now the script may continue (this stop is necessary for calculating the md5sums for the xml files)

I did not find any tables called *.new.idt, only the original table names were found.

7. That's nearly all, now copy the xml files from X:\office2003\sort to X:\office2003\FILES\SETUP, restore the backed up ini files in X:\office2003\FILES\SETUP and delete all files that were not originally on the office cd (ok, i wrote a bat file for copying all files to another location, which files are necessary you'll see on your cd ). Burn your new Office 2003 on a CD labeled 'OFFICE11'

I cannot restore all of the backed up ini files to X:\office2003\FILES\SETUP because I have 1 file from each of the 5 office discs, and these are all called setup.ini. They have the same name.

Help appreciated.

Hi hohner, this process can be a bit confusing at first and usually takes a few tries. :)

Can you be a little more specific on which directory to place the makecab.exe and md5sum.exe? Should they be placed in the SORT folder?
Put them in the path variable, as suggested. If you're not sure what's in your path variable, you can just put the files in the Windows folder (i.e. C:\WINDOWS or C:\WINNT) as that's always in the path.
I did not find any tables called *.new.idt, only the original table names were found.

There was probably an error somewhere, try it again after moving the two executables above. The cabbing and MD5Summing should take a small while before it prompts you.

I cannot restore all of the backed up ini files to X:\office2003\FILES\SETUP because I have 1 file from each of the 5 office discs, and these are all called setup.ini. They have the same name.

Somewhere in the thread was the answer to that. For each setup.ini, rename it to setupxxx.ini, where 'xxx' is an abbreviation of the application. So, for example, Frontpage could be called 'setupfpg.ini'. For each ini file, you will need to make a copy of setup.exe and rename that accordingly. So for our 'setupfpg.ini' file, we'll have a 'setupfpg.exe' installer in the main directory.

For the Main Office 'suite', keep the original names 'setup.ini' and 'setup.exe'.

I have many, many question that I hope someone can help me answer. I keep trying and rereading everything but can't seem to understand it all. So here goes, sorry for the long post.

I am only testing this on the Visio CD first and am assuming that if I can do it with one CD the others should be able to be done in the same way. I am using WinXP. I am attempting this with SP2, using the correct full file updates for each program. In the end I want to make the AIO CD with a program in each file instead of the beef stew method.

I am correct that to remove the read only and hidden attributes from the files you do this after the admin install buy right clicking on the directory and unchecking those to boxes?

#1 in the instructions say to copy cd contents to the HD, I thought the only way to be able to slipstream was by doing and admin install, is this correct? If I just copy the CD contents to the HD the SP cant' update because the files are still in the cabs, correct?

#4 in the instructions say to get the XML files from the HD but when i do and admin install there is only the setup.ini in that folder and no XML files. I have to copy the XML file from that directory on the CD and put it in the sort folder. Is this ok, or am i supposed to have the XML files where the instructions say to get them from?

#4 in the instructions say to edit the tabledirs.lst and xmlfiles.lst to meet my needs. Does this mean to edit it so that the tabledir.lst says e.g. C:\Visio\sort\vispro? Or does it just mean to have the name already like it has them but keep the ones for what you are doing and comment(#) out the others?

the first few times i ran the script it did not make the cabs. After looking at the script and comparing it to the file names that ORCA exported the tables as I noticed they were different(e.g. Componen.idt, Director.idt, CabinetD.idt, the File.idt and Media.idt were correct). Did i do something wrong, miss something or does ORCA actually export the table names incorrectly?

does the msi need to be anywhere specific? i just left it where the admin install put it.

in post #45 Siginet says that the setup.exe needs to be in the sort folder, is the correct? it wasn't in the original instructions and others seemed to have got it to work without supposedly knowing about this, so does it actually need to be placed here?

so when i get things to sort of work it makes all the cabs and then i think it starts to calculate the md5's and i get this error.

----------------------------------------------------

creating J5614D01.CAB:

Microsoft ® Cabinet Maker - Version 5.1.2600.0

Copyright © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved..

43,576 bytes in 1 files

Total files: 1

Bytes before: 43,576

Bytes after: 15,490

After/Before: 35.55% compression

Time: 0.09 seconds ( 0 hr 0 min 0.09 sec)

Throughput: 472.83 Kb/second

calculating md5 for O1561403.CAB (12936423):

md5sum: O1561403.CAB: No such file or directory

Error: [object Error]

C:\Visio\sort>

------------------------------------------

Where are the cabs supposed to be put when they are made?

For me they are, in in this case, in C:\Visio. If i move them to the sort folder and run the script again it again puts the cabs in C:\Visio but it gets past this part seeming only because I have moved the cabs to the sort folder.

Should I have to move the cabs?

It makes the new CabinetDetail.idt. I then edit the VISPRO.MSI in ORCA and hit enter to continue the script and get this error.

-----------------------------------------------

xml files found: VISPRO.XML

modifying VISPRO.XML

md5sum: AER_1033.ADM: No such file or directory

C:\Visio\sort>

--------------------------------------

Two things here:

1. I compare the supposedly modified VISPRO.XML with the original and they are both the same. What needs to happen for the XML file to actually be modified?

2. I look and this file (AER_1033.ADM) is in C:\Visio\FILES\WINDOWS\INF. So i dont know where the script is looking for this file and where any files it will look for after this should be place. Where should ALL the files be so the the script knows where they are at?

At this point in time I am stuck and don't know what to do. Any help with these issues is greatly appreciated. Thank You Very Much in advance. I have more question but this will do for now.

Hello AgentZero :)

In the end I want to make the AIO CD with a program in each file instead of the beef stew method.

In theory this should work. When I tried it this way, I had problems (see post #42), so I can only help you to that extent. Do note that once you have managed to re-compress all the cabinet files for each Office CD, you'll need to use a tool that optimises the CD so that duplicate files are not stored more than once. I used UltraISO for this, but there are others around.

I am correct that to remove the read only and hidden attributes from the files you do this after the admin install buy right clicking on the directory and unchecking those to boxes?

Yes. Also make sure it un-sets the attribute to all subdirectories and files too when it asks.

#1 in the instructions say to copy cd contents to the HD, I thought the only way to be able to slipstream was by doing and admin install, is this correct? If I just copy the CD contents to the HD the SP cant' update because the files are still in the cabs, correct?

You are right, but I think you missed something. The idea of this procedure is to:

• Turn the install CD(s) into admin install image(s) (it takes the files out of the cabs), and slipstreaming the service pack into it. [steps 1+2]
  • Create a directory structure to hold the updated files and original installation tables. [steps 3+4]
  • Recompress the updated files into cabinets by using the original cabinet names stored in one of the tables. [step 5]
  • Update the MD5Sums of the files so that the installation procedure is successful by importing them with Ocra. [step 6]
  • Remove all unnecessary files and restore original XML files. [step 7]

#4 in the instructions say to get the XML files from the HD but when i do and admin install there is only the setup.ini in that folder and no XML files. I have to copy the XML file from that directory on the CD and put it in the sort folder. Is this ok, or am i supposed to have the XML files where the instructions say to get them from?

The file it asks for is identical to the one on the CD. But that file should be there; are you sure you did the admin install as it asked?

#4 in the instructions say to edit the tabledirs.lst and xmlfiles.lst to meet my needs. Does this mean to edit it so that the tabledir.lst says e.g. C:\Visio\sort\vispro? Or does it just mean to have the name already like it has them but keep the ones for what you are doing and comment(#) out the others?

It's asking for the directory you made in the sort folder for (in this case), Visio. So in the file you should delete all the others and put in 'vispro', if that was the name of the folder you made.

the first few times i ran the script it did not make the cabs. After looking at the script and comparing it to the file names that ORCA exported the tables as I noticed they were different(e.g. Componen.idt, Director.idt, CabinetD.idt, the File.idt and Media.idt were correct). Did i do something wrong, miss something or does ORCA actually export the table names incorrectly?

Oh, I remember this. I had the same problem. It's Ocra, it doesn't export all of the Long File Name - so what you have to do (by hand, unfortunately) is rename them to what they want.

Componen.idt = Component.idt

Director.idt = Directory.idt

CabinetD.idt = CabinetDetail.idt

That should fix it.

does the msi need to be anywhere specific? i just left it where the admin install put it.

It should be fine where it is, just remember to give whatever commands need it the right path.

in post #45 Siginet says that the setup.exe needs to be in the sort folder, is the correct? it wasn't in the original instructions and others seemed to have got it to work without supposedly knowing about this, so does it actually need to be placed here?

I managed to do the (beef stew) procedure without doing such a thing, so unless it is explained further I don't see how it would do anything.

so when i get things to sort of work it makes all the cabs and then i think it starts to calculate the md5's and i get this error.

calculating md5 for O1561403.CAB (12936423):
md5sum: O1561403.CAB: No such file or directory

Where are the cabs supposed to be put when they are made?

In C:\Visio. All cabs from the CD should now have been deleted so that the new ones can be put there. This might have failed due to previous errors, though. Try it again after fixing the table name problem above.

If i move them to the sort folder and run the script again it again puts the cabs in C:\Visio but it gets past this part seeming only because I have moved the cabs to the sort folder.

Should I have to move the cabs?

I don't think so, no.

It makes the new CabinetDetail.idt. I then edit the VISPRO.MSI in ORCA and hit enter to continue the script and get this error.

*Error*

Two things here:

1. I compare the supposedly modified VISPRO.XML with the original and they are both the same. What needs to happen for the XML file to actually be modified?

It's supposed to update the MD5Sums contained within it. They're going to change due to the new cabinet files.

2. I look and this file (AER_1033.ADM) is in C:\Visio\FILES\WINDOWS\INF. So i dont know where the script is looking for this file and where any files it will look for after this should be place. Where should ALL the files be so the the script knows where they are at?

It should only be looking at cabinet files.

At this point in time I am stuck and don't know what to do. Any help with these issues is greatly appreciated. Thank You Very Much in advance. I have more question but this will do for now.

I hope what I have said helps you in some way. Again, when I tried the individual AIO method it failed to install properly for me, and the original method was designed for 'beef stew', but perhaps you'll have better luck.

(Sorry about the quotes not showing up properly, not sure what's up with them)

Edited by AndrewNi

• 2 weeks later...

I successfully slipstreamed SP2 following marek722's tutorial but I still cannot install the two subsequent updates KB907417 and KB905648 either manually or from Office Update. Is anyone else able to install these?

Update: Ok, this has something to do with I'm installing Office 2003 on Windows Server 2003. I ran the same Office install on a vmware XPSP2 and had no problems installing all office updates. Just by quick inspection, I noticed in XP the service "Office Source Engine" is manual but started before doing the update from Office Update. With Server 2003 the service wasn't started but the updates still failed even after starting the service.

I was going to see if I could use Server as my workstation, but it seems not feasible for me because of this and a couple other minor issues. Anyway it was worth a try, back to XP...

Edited by jimanny

What is ORCA?

i also like to know that!! :)

To quote Microsoft:

"Orca.exe is a database table editor for creating and editing Windows Installer packages and merge modules. The tool provides a graphical interface for validation, highlighting the particular entries where validation errors or warnings occur."

It's part of the Platform SDK Components for Windows Installer Developers. It is available as a web download here:

SDK x86 Web Install

Other Versions are available here:

Platform SDK

Or a full ISO download:

SDK ISO Download

Attention for :

AgentZero and some one has problem with this Error

calculating md5 for XXXXXXXX.CAB (#######):
md5sum: XXXXXXXX.CAB: No such file or directory

your md5sum.exe has some problem. please download Newsort2cabs.rar from My Topic that's include a good MD5SUM.EXE. My Edited Version of Sort2Cabs.js (Called NewSort2Cabs.js) has some benefits.

Reduce Size of Your 5 in 1 Office 2003 SP1/SP2 CD by 36MB

;)

Edited by ykaramati2

Great guide !!!

I have successfully slipstreamed office SP2 and rebuilt an all-in-one CD with both English and French versions of Office 2003. (the french version is smaller... only 543 Mb !!)

I have a couple of questions though:

1/ When slipstreaming hotfixes, how can one know to which MSI package each MSP file must be applied to ?? In fact, the same question applies to service pack files. For example (quoted from the very first post) :

X:\SP1\MAINSP1ff.msp is applied to both X:\office2003\PRO11.MSI and to X:\office2003\FP11.MSI

Where can this information be found ? For example, in order to update outlook junk email filter (KB905648), to which MSI package must OUTLFLTR.msp be applied to ? I am quite sure it must be applied to PRO11.MSI, but how to know if there is not another MSI package that must *** ALSO *** be patched ? Same quesrion for all post-SP2 hotfixes !!

2/ When patching MSI packages, is there a specific order to do that ? Can anyone complete the example from the very first post with *** ALL *** office components ?

3/ Since I am interested in building an all-in-one CD, I have copied the content of all 5 CDs to the same directory (X:\office2003), overwriting all files, except setup.ini files which I have renamed to setup-xxx.ini

Overwriting all files (mostly cab files) is not a problem, since all files with the same same are identical, but there are two exceptions though :

On CD 4 (project pro), these files differ from the ones with the same name on other CDs :

files\pfiles\msoffice\office11\oclncore.opc (both for french and english versions of office)

files\pfiles\msoffice\office11\1036\oclnintl.opc (only for french version of Office)

Although I have overwritten theses files, my AIO CD seems to work perfectly : I can setup Project Pro without any problem.... But is it really 100% safe to do that ? Is there any chance that a problem is hidden somwhere (not in the setup it seems...)

4/ Last but not least.... Is there any way to avoid the manual editing with ORCA, and write a batch doing the same thing ?

Thanks a lot for your time and to any one who could give me some information !

• 1 month later...

I was wondering if this method can be used also for other MSI packages.

For example I created an customized Adminstrative Installation Point for Paint Shop Pro X and I would like to compress these files back into a CABINET file. However I stumbled across many MSI editors, but none of them can recompress the updated files into a cabinet file!

Bookmarked :)

Ok, I found out the very useful Windows Installer vbs scripts from the SDK. With WiMakCab.vbs it's become very easy to recompress MSI packages.

See also http://windowssdk.msdn.microsoft.com/libra...ile_cabinet.asp.

I sucessfully applied this method to an administrative install point I created for .NET 1.1 with SP1 and security update merged into it. Altough size becomes a few MB's bigger than using a 7-zip package, setup doesn't have to extract all files at once anymore. This can save some speed when deploying software.

But the biggest advantage is that users can restore, or install extra feautures through the Software Configuration Panel :thumbup