Integration of NVIDIA's nForce RAID and AHCI drivers

Fernando 1

%NVSTOR_DESC%=NVStor_Inst,PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0AB9&CC_0106
This is exactly the line your nForce SATA AHCI Controller is needing to be supported by the driver.

The VendorID "VEN_10DE" means NVIDIA, the DeviceID "DEV_0AB9" means the nForce SATA Controller of any MCP79 chipset running in AHCI mode and the suffix "CC_106" is the AHCI mode specification to make sure, that the DeviceID is only valid with enabled AHCI (the suffix for non-AHCI SATA would be "CC_101", the suffix for RAID Controllers is "CC_104").

%NVSTOR_DESC%=NVStor_Inst,PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0AB9&CC_0106
This is exactly the line your nForce SATA AHCI Controller is needing to be supported by the driver.

The VendorID "VEN_10DE" means NVIDIA, the DeviceID "DEV_0AB9" means the nForce SATA Controller of any MCP79 chipset running in AHCI mode and the suffix "CC_106" is the AHCI mode specification to make sure, that the DeviceID is only valid with enabled AHCI (the suffix for non-AHCI SATA would be "CC_101", the suffix for RAID Controllers is "CC_104").

Fernando

Well, thought I would get back to you to let you know how it's all gone. Rather well, I can say. After finding out how to "slipstream", make bootable USB sticks, using DBAN and initializing a disk etc etc., it seems my installation is at last going rather well. One in the eye for HP, I say - in that I'm not being relieved of more cash!

So, it's a big thank you to you for your help - and hope you can offer one more bit of advice!

I've installed all the drivers, except the chipset driver you advised not to install. Trouble is, I have no LAN (which I suspect is part of the chipset package pointed to me by HP) - so I'm wondering if you know where I can get this from?

regards

I've installed all the drivers, except the chipset driver you advised not to install. Trouble is, I have no LAN (which I suspect is part of the chipset package pointed to me by HP) - so I'm wondering if you know where I can get this from?
As I already have written: My recommendation for your system would have been my "Actual nForce Driverpack for XP v8.5". You can find the download link at the bottom of my guide (= start post of this thread).
Not to worry - I just ran the 15.25 package and de-selected everything except the ethernet driver - all is well.
The included nForce Ethernet driver v67.89 work, but they do not support the Gigabit LAN speed (up to 1.000 Mb/sec). That is why I have suggested to install my "Actual nForce Driverpack for XP".

Regards

Fernando

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

@ crayzal12:

Welcome at MSFN Forums!

You are not able to integrate the SATA_IDE folder content as TEXTMODE driver, because it doesn't have a TXTSETUP.OEM file.

Since you neither have a LEGACY mode nForce chipset nor an AHCI capable hardware configuration, there is no need to integrate any nForce SATA_IDE driver folder.

Questions:

1. Why do you want to integrate the SATA_IDE driver at all?

2. Which SATA mode are you running (IDE or RAID)?

3. Which driver version did you take?

4. Have you tried to get Windows XP with integrated SP2 or SP3 installed without having integrated or loaded any nForce SATA driver?

Regards

Fernando

@ crayzal12:

Welcome at MSFN Forums!

You are not able to integrate the SATA_IDE folder content as TEXTMODE driver, because it doesn't have a TXTSETUP.OEM file.

Since you neither have a LEGACY mode nForce chipset nor an AHCI capable hardware configuration, there is no need to integrate any nForce SATA_IDE driver folder.

Questions:

1. Why do you want to integrate the SATA_IDE driver at all?

2. Which SATA mode are you running (IDE or RAID)?

3. Which driver version did you take?

4. Have you tried to get Windows XP with integrated SP2 or SP3 installed without having integrated or loaded any nForce SATA driver?

Regards

Fernando

Thanks,

1. Because the Windows XP SP2 disc will not recognise the SATA hard drive. (Hard drive works fine).

2. I am not sure, it is a laptop which gives no options in the BIOS to change SATA mode.

3. One from the nvidia website as I have no idea which one of yours to download.

4. The disc is a Windows XP SP2 disc, the problem is that it does not give me an option to do text mode in nlite.

BTW this is a compaq F500 laptop.

Thanks.

1. Because the Windows XP SP2 disc will not recognise the SATA hard drive. (Hard drive works fine).
Since the SATA Controllers of nForce 430 chipset systems do not support the "AHCI" mode, I suspect, that they have been set to "RAID" mode by default.
2. I am not sure, it is a laptop which gives no options in the BIOS to change SATA mode.
Are you sure about that?

Enter the BIOS and look for the "SATA Operations" settings. If you find them, choose "Raid Autodetect/ATA". After having done that, you should be able to get XP SP2 installed without having integrated or loaded any third party SATA driver.

3. One from the nvidia website as I have no idea which one of yours to download.
If you should not be able to change the SATA settings within the BIOS, I recommend to integrate just the SATARAID folder content of my nForce IDE driver package v9.99.09. That should work for your current RAID mode system.
4. The disc is a Windows XP SP2 disc, the problem is that it does not give me an option to do text mode in nlite.
As I already have written you have integrated the wrong driver folder (SATA_IDE instead of SATARAID)). The SATA Controllers of your HP notebook obviously have been set to RAID mode.by default.

Regards

Fernando

• 1 month later...

I apologize if I'm posting this request for help in the wrong place. Since my problem seems to be a Fernando Specialty, this seemed to be the appropriate place to post. Let me know if I should have posted elsewhere.

Maybe I’m going about this OS build and install the wrong way. For some background info, I’ve been building PCs since 1996. So, I know my way around a computer. As for OS knowledge, I’m familiar with Windows beyond the basic user level, i.e. point and click. Even so, I’m really stumped as to why I’m having a problem getting nLite to work properly. It’s been a serious week of hell.

Attached is the Last Session file.

Let me know if you want the TXTSETUP.SIF too.

Problem: Nvidia SATA AHCI & RAID drivers will not load during OS textmode install

• Getting BSOD associated with OS install program not being able to find either nLite provided SATA AHCI or RAID drivers

• STOP 0x0000007B (0xFFFFFADF90A323C0, 0Xffffffffc0000034, 0x 16 0’s, 0x 16 0’s)

Using nLite 1.4.9.1 - Last build as of 2008.09.11

• OS build being saved on root of K: drive as file name WXPPx64_SP2_nLite.iso

Instead of using a CD-RW disc, I’m trying to install the ISO with my flash drive loaded only with manufacturer provided software. Why am I trying to use a flash drive? Well, of the five seldom used Memorex CD-RW discs I have, three separate ISO burn programs have found read errors on all five discs. So, rather than messing with old fashioned junk CD-RW media again, I thought I’d try using a bootable flash drive. Even so, maybe I’m doing something wrong.

• Flash Voyager 4GB USB Flash Drive SKU# CMFUSB2.0-4GB

• Formatted with Corsair provided “Ultimate Bootable USB Flash Drive” software

http://blog.corsair.com/?p=2619

o GRUB4DOS 2004-2009

o Syslinux 1994-2009

o Memtest86+ 2009

o FreeDOS

 COPYING

 fdboot.img

 grub.exe

 memtest86+-4.10.iso

 menu.lst

 pmagic-6.6.iso

 Readme.txt

 syslinux.cfg

Computer System Info:

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Pro x64

• SP2 and all hotfixes up to date

• Dual-boot system along with WXPP x32

Motherboard: ASUS M3N-HT

• BIOS 2904 12-7-2009 (Most current - 3401 2011.04.29)

• MediaShield 10.x.x

• MCP = Northbridge & Southbridge in one 780a chip

• Using Nvidia 780a 15.57-nforce-novideodriver-winxp-64bit-international-whql drivers - 2011.05.02

• WinXP 64-bit nForce UDA driver package for C51M/MCP51, C55/MCP51, C72, C73, MCP77, and MCP79

o Ethernet Driver (v73.30) WHQL

o Network Management Tools (v73.25) "Sedona"

o SATAIDE Driver (v11.1.0.43) WHQL

o SATARAID Driver (v11.1.0.43) WHQL

o RAIDTOOL Application (v11.1.0.43) WHQL

o SMBUS Driver (v4.79) WHQL

o SMU Driver (v2.08) WHQL

o Installer (v8.36)

Hard Drives: 2 Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 160GB drives in individual RAID Stripe Configuration per drive, not as RAID-0

2 Western Digital 120 GB & 160 GB drives set up as a RAID-1 mirrored array for backup and storage

Processor: AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition Heka 2.8 GHz (Not OC’ed)

Memory: 4GB of OCZ Platinum DDR2 1066 DC (5 5 5 15 20 2T) (Not OC’ed)

Video: MSI N460GTX CYCLONE 1GD5/OC GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 (Not OC’ed)

Audio: SB X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro

Network Adapter: Intel Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter

USB flash drive install methods tried without success

• Read more than one version of nLite user instructions/manuals.

• Clicked on each nLite help icon to read information concerning that program page OS build step.

• Downloaded and tried using CDImage.exe for ISO building instead of using default Mkisofs.exe program.

• Tried building ISO image with ImgBurn and vaguely remember same BSOD or Grub4DOS saying invalid image.

• Prior to trying any new nForce drivers, deleted old nLite OS build and created a new one.

• Tried older Nvidia nForce Driver Version 15.24 (15.25 “no video driver included” set).

• Tried older Asus Nvidia NVIDIAnForceMCP72_Chipsetpackage_V1808_XP drivers.

• Moved Nvidia nForce drivers to root of K: drive in case nLite had a problem with long folder path.

o H:\Drivers-Progs-Updates\Drivers\Nvidia\nForce\15.57-nforce-novideodriver-winxp-64bit-international-whql

• Created an nForce driver only build sans SP2 integration and PE tweaking.

• Searched nLite forum and Fernando’s post for similar problems to find solutions.

• Read Fernando’s Nvidia SATA/RAID driver post and followed the quick instructions.

• Read the long detailed info in Fernando’s Nvidia SATA/RAID driver post to see if I missed anything.

• Downloaded and tried Nvidia SATA/RAID drivers Fernando provided via Mediafire.

o 64bit nForce SATARAID drivers v11.1.0.43 WHQL for XPx64

• Used Comodo Internet Security to scan nLite OS folder build ARMPXOEM_EN_WXPP_x64_Disc.

• Set the Comodo Internet Security settings for AV and Defense to disabled.

• Uninstalled Comodo Internet Security program entirely.

• Have tried to create a service pack free barebones build with just Nvidia nForce drivers.

• Removed old SCSI support drivers in Component screen as nLite help recommended.

• Tried to create a WXPP x64 nLite build on the dual-boot WXPP x32 OS.

• Could only create an nForce driver build sans SP2 slipstream because WXPP SP2 x64 is 64-bit.

• Created an nForce driver only build sans PE tweaking.

• Tried installing nLite OS builds with all drives powered and using RAID controller.

• Tried installing nLite OS builds with only the 2 stripped Seagate drives powered and using RAID controller.

o nForce RAID drivers rolled into nLite OS build

• Tried installing nLite OS builds with only 2 Seagate drives powered and using AHCI controller.

o nForce AHCI drivers rolled into nLite OS build

• Oddly enough, a WinSetup-1-0-beta7 flash drive install of an nLite WXPP x64 build works without a BSOD.

o Drawback: 7700+ files from the ARMPXOEM_EN_WXPP_x64_Disc folder are slowly loaded to flash drive.

o If nLite ISOs won’t work, would love to find a way to make a WinSetup-1-0-beta7 compatible ISO.

Since it's been a whole week that I've been working on this problem, I might have forgotten some other things I've tried too.

What else might I try to get things to work?

Thanks.

Last Session (2011.09.03-03.48.34).ini

I apologize if I'm posting this request for help in the wrong place.

There is a Install Windows from USB section too. http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/157-install-windows-from-usb/

I’m trying to install the ISO with my flash drive loaded only with manufacturer provided software.

Flash Voyager 4GB USB Flash Drive SKU# CMFUSB2.0-4GB

BSOD 0x7B refers to boot drive too. That's the USB Flash Drive.

Do you like to copy a ISO file to USB Flash Drive?

OS manufacturer provided software dosn't support this. There is no default ISO file driver.

This task is impossible to solve.

Contrary there are third party open source ISO file driver.

And some Flash firmware can simulate a USB CD-ROM drive.

Read the above link.

Oddly enough, a WinSetup-1-0-beta7 flash drive install of an nLite WXPP x64 build works without a BSOD.

Drawback: 7700+ files from the ARMPXOEM_EN_WXPP_x64_Disc folder are slowly loaded to flash drive.

OS manufacturer provided software does find single files at a USB Flash Drive.

That's possible within OS manufacturer provided software.

Edited by cdob

I apologize if I'm posting this request for help in the wrong place.

There is a Install Windows from USB section too. http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/157-install-windows-from-usb/

I saw that section prior to posting here and looked at it a little. Rather than take off in some other direction for another week of frustration, I thought I'd start asking questions here. Still, I'll take a look at that section too. It seems some people have had success.

I’m trying to install the ISO with my flash drive loaded only with manufacturer provided software.

Flash Voyager 4GB USB Flash Drive SKU# CMFUSB2.0-4GB

BSOD 0x7B refers to boot drive too. That's the USB Flash Drive.

After the fact, I wondered if those BSODs might have been due to going through the USB subsystem vs. the controller subsystem. So, it made sense that I'd be getting those BSOD. Although, I got the impression that if the bootable USB software provided by my flash drive maker could load ISOs, and nLite could pack up current SATA drivers into the ISO, then the install program should have found them, installed them, and let me be on my way. Since the setup program installed USB drivers, I didn't think I'd have a problem with USB or SATA driver detection. Even so, I guess there's more to the process than I realize.

Do you like to copy a ISO file to USB Flash Drive?

OS manufacturer provided software dosn't support this. There is no default ISO file driver.

This task is impossible to solve.

Contrary there are third party open source ISO file driver.

And some Flash firmware can simulate a USB CD-ROM drive.

Read the above link.

I thought I'd give it a try since there are implications other people have got it to work for them. From what I've read, some people have even been able to re-purpose the Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool for XP installs. Although, it doesn't always work. There's something about making sure the ISO image is 9660 and UDF compliant that's worked for some people, but I didn't have any luck.

Oddly enough, a WinSetup-1-0-beta7 flash drive install of an nLite WXPP x64 build works without a BSOD.

Drawback: 7700+ files from the ARMPXOEM_EN_WXPP_x64_Disc folder are slowly loaded to flash drive.

OS manufacturer provided software does find single files at a USB Flash Drive.

That's possible within OS manufacturer provided software.

Maybe the USB install forum has the answers. Worst case scenario, I'll just rely on WinSetup. Worst-Worst case scenario, I'll go buy another 5-pack of CD-RW media, but a better brand. ;)

Usually, I create an OS build by installing service packs and hotfixes, drivers, software, tweak everything, and then create an image of the OS for storage. Then, if I need to blow out an OS install, I just backup my critical files, and use the Acronis software to install the fresh image. After going through all this rigmarole of trying to create a custom image with nLite and install the ISO via USB drive, I might just go back to the tried and true method. :}

Edited by DBF68

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SwissReplicaWatches

I have tried this with the SATA drivers from Nvidia Release 6.53, it worked , Motherboard is an A8N-Sli Deluxe. just needed to change nvatabus.inf to nvraid.inf and it worked without a hitch

@ SwissReplicaWatches:

Welcome at MSFN Forums!

I have tried this with the SATA drivers from Nvidia Release 6.53' date=' it worked , Motherboard is an A8N-Sli Deluxe. just needed to change nvatabus.inf to nvraid.inf and it worked without a hitch

[/quote']Is this an answer to any question/ask for help or just an information for users with an nForce4 RAID system?

Please explain what you have done:

1. Which nForce IDE driver subfolder (SATA_IDE or SATARAID) did you integrate?

2. What means, that you changed nvatabus.inf to nvraid.inf? Did you replace the nvatabus.inf by the nvraid.inf one or did you just rename it?

Regards

Fernando

@ SwissReplicaWatches:

Welcome at MSFN Forums!

I have tried this with the SATA drivers from Nvidia Release 6.53' date=' it worked , Motherboard is an A8N-Sli Deluxe. just needed to change nvatabus.inf to nvraid.inf and it worked without a hitch

[/quote']Is this an answer to any question/ask for help or just an information for users with an nForce4 RAID system?

Please explain what you have done:

1. Which nForce IDE driver subfolder (SATA_IDE or SATARAID) did you integrate?

2. What means, that you changed nvatabus.inf to nvraid.inf? Did you replace the nvatabus.inf by the nvraid.inf one or did you just rename it?

Regards

Fernando

I'd like to know as well, I have an A8n32-SLI Deluxe mobo as well.