Integration of NVIDIA's nForce RAID and AHCI drivers

Fernando 1

@ RBIRD7282:

It is not easy to help you, because there a lot of different possible reasons for your issue.

Questions:

1. Which nForce chipset does your system have?

2. Are you running your SATA hdd(s) in AHCI or RAID mode?

3. Is your CD/DVD drive a SATA connected one?

Here are some additional tips:

• You should use the standard BIOS settings regarding the timings (no overclocking).
  • Unplug or disable all unneeded devices.
  • Check your RAM sticks with Memtest.
  • Use another CD/DVDROM drive or create a bootable USB stick with the XP image on it, if the BIOS gives you the option.

Regards

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

@ RBIRD7282:

It is not easy to help you, because there a lot of different possible reasons for your issue.

Questions:

1. Which nForce chipset does your system have?

2. Are you running your SATA hdd(s) in AHCI or RAID mode?

3. Is your CD/DVD drive a SATA connected one?

Here are some additional tips:

• You should use the standard BIOS settings regarding the timings (no overclocking).
  • Unplug or disable all unneeded devices.
  • Check your RAM sticks with Memtest.
  • Use another CD/DVDROM drive or create a bootable USB stick with the XP image on it, if the BIOS gives you the option.

Regards

Fernando

Fernando,

I'll try to answer your questions in order.

Chipset is 750slispp

sata drives are in raid mode and shown as healthy

cd dvd is not connected via sata

There is no overclocking.

RAM is OK

I will try another drive. i will also try a bootable usb stick

sata drives are in raid mode and shown as healthy
Additional questions:

1. Have you set the RAID array as bootable?

2. Is the RAID in the top position of the BIOS "HARD DISK BOOT PRIORITY" settings?

The answer is yes to both questions. I appreciate the responses so far as they have been somewhat helpful, but I'm still at a loss as to what to try next.

@ RBIRD7282:

Another idea:

Boot off the original (untouched) XP CD and look what happens.

If you should come to the point, where the XP Setup asks, where you want to get the OS installed (but doesn't show your RAID partitions), there is something wrong with your nLited XP CD (bad media, burning speed too high, bad burning tool or error while copying the XP CD content onto your hdd etc.).

@ RBIRD7282:

Another idea:

If you should come to the point, where the XP Setup asks, where you want to get the OS installed (but doesn't show your RAID partitions), there is something wrong with your nLited XP CD (bad media, burning speed too high, bad burning tool or error while copying the XP CD content onto your hdd etc.).

Well I tried this and the same thing happens. However, I know the original xp cd is ok because I can install that on a single drive when I disable RAID. My guess is that the nlite cd's that I have made (I went through the process a few times) are ok, but for some reason the computer doesn't seem to like it when I try to load the os in RAID mode. Perhaps this will give you a better idea as to a direction I should take. I know RAID works on this computer because that is the way it was set up when I got it, but this is driving me insane. I could just set it up without RAID but I would prefer not to do that.

Another idea:

Well I tried this and the same thing happens. However, I know the original xp cd is ok because I can install that on a single drive when I disable RAID. My guess is that the nlite cd's that I have made (I went through the process a few times) are ok, but for some reason the computer doesn't seem to like it when I try to load the os in RAID mode.
Your report, that you got the same issue while running your SATA hdd's in RAID mode and trying to boot off the original (untouched) XP CD, verifies, that there must be something wrong with the MBR and the partition table entries of your active RAID partition (boot drive).

Hoping, that you have already saved all important data of your RAID, I suggest to do the following:

1. Download a tool like KillDisk for DOS (>Link<) and create a bootable floppy disk containing this tool.
  2. Run the MediaShield RAID Utility and break the RAID. You have to set both RAIDed hdd's to non-RAID hdd's.
  3. Set the SATA Controller to "IDE" mode.
  4. Boot off the prepared floppy disk and erase all data from both previously RAIDed hdd's.
  5. Enter the BIOS and set the SATA Controllers to "RAID".
  6. Enter the MediaShield RAID Utility, create a new RAID0 array with the defaut settings and set it as bootable.
  7. Enter the BIOS again and check, if the normal boot order (1. CD/DVD, 2. HDD) and the "HARD DISK BOOT PRIORITY" settings (RAID on top) are ok.
  8. Boot off your nLited XP CD with integrated nForce SATARAID drivers.
  9. Look, what happens.

Good luck!

Fernando

Well I followed your steps as directed and VICTORY! I loaded windows on without a problem from the nlite cd. I haven't had a chance to load updated drivers, windows updates or anything else yet but at least the windows installation seemed to go ok.

Thank you so much for all of your help.

• 1 month later...

hello, perhaps this thread can help me.

Situation:

I was running win xp3 on a asus m2n-e board for the past several years. I believe the M2N-E has the nvidia series 4 chipset. The xp was installed on a sata raid 5 configured drive that was bootable. About 2 weeks ago, the machine would not boot. The LED power light on the board would not come on. After debugging memory, power supplies, etc, I decided to replace the board. I chose the M2N68-AM PLUS. I now have the BSOD problem. The machine powers up, the windows splash screen displays, the little cylon indicator goes back and forth a few times, then the BSOD happens with a 0x0000007B.

Specs:

M2N68-AM Plus

2 gig memory

Sata Raid 5 disk (same as on original machine), raid bios 9.87 displays healthy raid.

630A nvidia series chipset. ACHI does not appear to be an option in the bios.

on-board video, lan, and display

I have tried numerous times to re-install (repair) the os on the drives. no joy.

Original windows update CD does not recognize any hard drives on the computer (expected behavior)

Using nlite, i have slipstreamed new raid drivers onto an active@boot disk. I can access the partition (C:) drive, files are there, chkdsk says it's healthy.

After reviewing several hundred discussions of the problem, I discovered this thread. I have tried numerous combinations of slipstreaming drivers onto the windows cd. It will then find the drive, re-install the os, boot to the windows splash screen when complete, then BSOD with the same error. I have booted in safe mode, command line mode, with boot logging, etc. no combination seems to make a difference.

Combination of drivers attempted:

sp3, fernando_101028_mix, w/ide pnp

sp3, fernando_101028_mix, no ide

sp3, fernando_99909_custom, no ide

sp3, fernando_99909_custom, w/ide pnp

sp2, fernando_99909_custom, no ide

sp3, fernando_103046, no ide

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

@ marsh:

Welcome at MSFN Forums!

All nForce 630a (=MCP67) chipset mainboards are very problematic regarding the memory timings (FSB) and the specific nForce IDE drivers support.

So you have to check your BIOS settings and to take the appropriate nForce SATARAID drivers (best choice: v10.3.0.46 WHQL, which you can get >here<).

There is no need to additionally integrate the SATA-IDE driver.

Questions:

1. What do you mean with "SATA RAID 5 disk"? A RAID5 array needs 3 hdd's or more.

2. Why do you want to use a RAID5 array with such a pretentious chipset?

Regards

Fernando

@ marsh:

Questions:

1. What do you mean with "SATA RAID 5 disk"? A RAID5 array needs 3 hdd's or more.

2. Why do you want to use a RAID5 array with such a pretentious chipset?

@Fernando: Thank you!

My BIOS settings for the FSB are all set to 'Auto"

1. My Raid 5 is a cluster of 3 SATA drives. They were originally configured as a raid 5 cluster when I built my M2N-E machine about 3 years ago.

2. At the time I built the machine, I was getting tired of rebuilding disk drives, and thought that raid 5 would give me the easiest recoverability. Now I'm not so sure....

I'm considering purchasing an IDE Drive and copying the data and OS to it.....

• 1 month later...

Hi Fernando,

First of all - you have made great job!

Now about my problems:

I have Asus X50Gl Series (F5GL motherboard) notebook.

I noticed that switching in bios to AHCI mode (it's called "Enhanced mode" there) significally rased speed of hdd access.

(Actually I just tried to load XP from hybernation ;) it look almost twice farster - but with BSOD at the end as it should be as drivers was just windows default)

Then I tried to install drivers from asus site: nForce pack with "SataIDE Driver (v10.3.0.42) WHQL" but I noticed that Sata driver not changed from win default to installed one.

So, I just manually updated driver to nvidia one - rebooted - got bsod as expected, then changed mode to AHCI and again got bsod!!!

I was really confused at this point and still is because:

after I restored windows to functional state I checked controller's device id and what driver have:

driver:

[NVIDIA]

%NVSTOR_DESC%=NVStor_Inst,PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0054&CC_0101

%NVSTOR_DESC%=NVStor_Inst,PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0055&CC_0101

%NVSTOR_DESC%=NVStor_Inst,PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0266&CC_0101

%NVSTOR_DESC%=NVStor_Inst,PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0267&CC_0101

%NVSTOR_DESC%=NVStor_Inst,PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_037F&CC_0101

%NVSTOR_DESC%=NVStor_Inst,PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_03F6&CC_0101

%NVSTOR_DESC%=NVStor_Inst,PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_044D&CC_0106

%NVSTOR_DESC%=NVStor_Inst,PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0554&CC_0106

%NVSTOR_DESC%=NVStor_Inst,PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0555&CC_0106

%NVSTOR_DESC%=NVStor_Inst,PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_07F4&CC_0106

%NVSTOR_DESC%=NVStor_Inst,PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0AD5&CC_0106

%NVSTOR_DESC%=NVStor_Inst,PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0AD4&CC_0106

%NVSTOR_DESC%=NVStor_Inst,PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0AB9&CC_0106

%NVSTOR_DESC%=NVStor_Inst,PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0AB8&CC_0106

controller:

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0AB4

just for a case I've got latest nForce but it have no 0AB4 device too.

So, I tried to add this dev id to inf and install this recent nForce again - now driver was found automatically but it didn't helped much - I've got bsod again.

Then I tried to find any info on this dev id in inet:

http://www.vendev.ru/ven/10de/dev/0ab8 - MCP79 AHCI Controller - here is dev from driver inf

http://www.vendev.ru/ven/10de/dev/0ab4 - MCP79 SATA Controller - here is actual dev id.

Here is a little difference, I have no idea what can this mean and if it have any meaning ;-)

And as result now I even can't ressurect windows - even after repair it falls to bsod in IDE mode :-(

I'm run out of ideas, so maybe you have one - what can I try else?

PS:

Now I'm thinking abt. Win7 installation but first I want to check it's inf files for my device id :-)

Hm... nothing there, by the way - Win7 have generic ahci driver, isn't it?

Thanks in advance,

Andrey

Edited by vermin

@ vermin:

Welcome at MSFN Forums!

The switch from IDE mode to AHCI mode while running Windows XP is not as easy as you are thinking.

What you have to do is

1. to copy an AHCI capable nForce SATA driver named NVGTS.SYS into the WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS folder of your XP partition (the driver must be compatible with your special nForce SATA Controller after having set to AHCI mode) and
  2. to change some Registry settings as a preparation of the later switch from IDE to AHCI mode (you will need the exact HardwareID's of your special nForce SATA Controller running in AHCI mode).

Only after having done these preparations correctly, you can restart the computer, enter the BIOS, set the NVIDIA nForce SATA Controllers from "IDE" to "AHCI" or "Enhanced" mode and then reboot into Windows XP.

Since this procedure is very difficult and risky, I do not recommend to try it. The better and safer way is to prepare a fresh Windows XP installation CD with integrated nForce AHCI driver as layed down within the start post of this thread.

Then I tried to install drivers from asus site: nForce pack with "SataIDE Driver (v10.3.0.42) WHQL" but I noticed that Sata driver not changed from win default to installed one.

So, I just manually updated driver to nvidia one - rebooted - got bsod as expected, then changed mode to AHCI and again got bsod!!!

You got the BSOD, because you forgot the change the registry settings. Furthermore I doubt, that the nForce SATA driver v10.3.0.42 will support your MCP79 chipset at all.
controller:

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0AB4

just for a case I've got latest nForce but it have no 0AB4 device too.

Since I am very familiar with the content of the INF files of all actual nForce SATA drivers, I can reassure you, that there is not a single nForce driver available, which natively does support your DeviceID DEV_0AB4. I don't even know, if it is the correct DeviceID of your special MCP79 nForce Serial ATA Controller running in AHCI mode.

Nevertheless I have prepared for you a specially customized version of NVIDIA's newest nForce SATA_IDE driver v11.1.0.43 for Windows XP. You can grab it from >here<.

So if you want to create a Windows XP CD with integrated nForce SATA AHCI driver according to my guide, you may try to integrate this special driver.

Now I'm thinking abt. Win7 installation but first I want to check it's inf files for my device id :-)

Hm... nothing there, by the way - Win7 have generic ahci driver, isn't it?

Yes, Win7 has a generic MS AHCI driver in-the-box, which probably will support your MCP79 board too. So you will be able to get Win7 installed onto your system without the need of loading any separate SATA driver.

By the way: Once Win7 is up, you will be able to see the exact HardwareID's of your special nForce SATA Controllers running in AHCI mode: Open the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" section of the Device Manager > Do a right click onto the NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller > "Properties" > "Details" > "Property" > "HardwareID's".

Good luck!

Fernando

Hi Fernando. Thanks for explanations!

I have no idea abt tricks with registry... will memorize it for future.

Finally, I installed Win7 but I'll grab drivers prepared by you just for a case.

Btw, in AHCI mode device have 0ab8 id (as I guess) - so, I just tried to switch driver in wrong way... sad, as now I have to install bunch of SW along with W7 :(((.

Thanks a lot for you help! Regards.

Btw, in AHCI mode device have 0ab8 id (as I guess) - so, I just tried to switch driver in wrong way...
Thanks for this information. So you can delete the line with the DEV_0AB4 wirhin the INF file of the just linked specially modded driver.
Thanks a lot for you help!
You are welcome.

Regards

Fernando