Integration of NVIDIA's nForce RAID and AHCI drivers

Fernando 1

@ all viewers of this thread:

Today I have updated my guide again.

This is the changelog:

• new: nForce SATARAID and SATA_IDE drivers v11.1.0.43 WHQL (32/64bit)
  • new: nForce SATARAID and SATA_IDE drivers v10.3.0.46 WHQL (32/64bit), especially for users with an MCP65 or MCP67 chipset
  • new: modded "Actual nForce Driverpacks" v8.0 (32/64bit)
  • updated: modded "NForce Performance Packs" v8.0 (32/64bit)
  • updated: modded "NForce LEGACY Remix Packs" v5.9 (32/64bit)

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Have fun!

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

Hi,

Thx for the wonderfull guide!

It seems however there is a faulty link on page 1. Under section B where you describe how to add AHCI drivers, the download link: "32bit nForce SATA_IDE driver v11.1.0.43 WHQL" still leads to "32bit nForce SATA_IDE 111033 for XP mod by Fernando.rar"

Is the version of the file incorrect or is the link incorrect?

Thx!

@ TeeTee:

Welcome at MSFN Forums and thank you for having your heads up!

It seems however there is a faulty link on page 1. Under section B where you describe how to add AHCI drivers, the download link: "32bit nForce SATA_IDE driver v11.1.0.43 WHQL" still leads to "32bit nForce SATA_IDE 111033 for XP mod by Fernando.rar"

Is the version of the file incorrect or is the link incorrect?

It was the link, which was wrong.

Now everything should be fine.

Thanks again for your report!

Regards

Fernando

Hi,

Thanks for this guide, Fernando. It's really helpful :D

I´m having problems to install Windows XP 32 in AHCI mode in my asus M4N78 PRO motherboard with Geforce 8300 Chipset.

I tried to integrate SATA_IDE driver v11.1.0.43 but didn't work, so I did with v11.1.0.33 drivers (I read it in page 91). I have succeed to install OS but it doesn't seem to work properly... Windows has become slow, HDD don't appear as "removable devices", I can´t enable NCQ... Is it normal??

Sorry for my bad English :blushing:

Thanks!!

@ jmr24:

Welcome at MSFN Forums!

I´m having problems to install Windows XP 32 in AHCI mode in my asus M4N78 PRO motherboard with Geforce 8300 Chipset.
This is what ASUS writes, the correct chipset name is nForce 730a.
I tried to integrate SATA_IDE driver v11.1.0.43 but didn't work
What means "didn't work"? Did you get a BSOD or did the XP Setup not detect your SATA hdd running in AHCI mode?
so I did with v11.1.0.33 drivers (I read it in page 91). I have succeed to install OS but it doesn't seem to work properly... Windows has become slow, HDD don't appear as "removable devices", I can´t enable NCQ... Is it normal??
No, it isn't.

It is possible, that the nForce SATA_IDE driver v10.3.0.46 is the best for your chipset. You can get the driver from >here<.

Good luck!

Fernando

This is what ASUS writes, the correct chipset name is nForce 730a.

Ooops, I didn't know that... :blushing:

What means "didn't work"? Did you get a BSOD or did the XP Setup not detect your SATA hdd running in AHCI mode?

I got a BSOD with 0x0000007B error before I could manage partitions, but I don't know what does this error exactly means

It is possible, that the nForce SATA_IDE driver v10.3.0.46 is the best for your chipset.

It was the first driver I tried. I downloaded from Asus web site but I got the same BSOD, that's why I started to search and I found your drivers. The only ones that worked were v11.1.0.33 but with all these problems.

Anyway, I'll download v10.3.0.46 from your link and I'll try again

May it be problem of the motherboard? I bought it last month so it might be defective... Although it's been working in IDE mode without any problem... :unsure:

Thanks for your help!!

@ jmr24:

Here are some additional recommendations:

1. You have to use a clean (=untouched) XP CD as source. Don't take any XP CD with a file named WINNT.SIF within the i386 directory!
  2. Let nLite do nothing else than the integration of the appropriate SATA_IDE driver folder as textmode driver and the creation of the ISO file.
  3. Unplug all unneeded devices inclusive the hdd's except the one, where you want to get XP installed.
  4. If you have more than 3 GB of RAM, remove 1 or 2 of them before you start with the XP installation (the removed RAM sticks can be reinserted once the OS installation is completed).
  5. Check your power supply (is it good enough?) and your BIOS settings (no overclocking at all during the OS installation!).
  6. Before you start with the XP installation, you should enter the BIOS and verify, that the SATA Controllers have been set to "AHCI" mode.
  7. If you should get a BSOD nevertheless, note the exact message. This may help to find the real reason for it.

Good luck!

Please report here about your results.

Regards

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

@ jmr24:

Here are some additional recommendations:

1. You have to use a clean (=untouched) XP CD as source. Don't take any XP CD with a file named WINNT.SIF within the i386 directory!
  2. Let nLite do nothing else than the integration of the appropriate SATA_IDE driver folder as textmode driver and the creation of the ISO file.
  3. Unplug all unneeded devices inclusive the hdd's except the one, where you want to get XP installed.
  4. If you have more than 3 GB of RAM, remove 1 or 2 of them before you start with the XP installation (the removed RAM sticks can be reinserted once the OS installation is completed).
  5. Check your power supply (is it good enough?) and your BIOS settings (no overclocking at all during the OS installation!).
  6. Before you start with the XP installation, you should enter the BIOS and verify, that the SATA Controllers have been set to "AHCI" mode.
  7. If you should get a BSOD nevertheless, note the exact message. This may help to find the real reason for it.

Good luck!

Please report here about your results.

Regards

Fernando

Hi again Fernando!

I checked all that and tried again. I could install Windows with v10.3.0.46 drivers but I keep having the same problems... Maybe Windows works a bit faster but there is not much diference beetwen now and before... It's really strange... :}

I have tried to do this as described step by step but seem to be having two issues. The first is that when I go to actually create the bootable disk the information will not fit onto a cd. I could use a dvd, but that doesn't sound correct. The other is that I get an error message saying that the filename is too long. (too many characters) When I tell it to continue, it says it is complete and gives me the option to burn to a disc. When I click to start burning the disk it says nlite has encountered a problem and needs to close. I haven't gotten to the point where I have a bootable cd. Please help!

Rick

What is your source?

If you are using an official CD then your source WILL NOT be too big if you are only adding these drivers.

As to the file name being too long just rename it.

I am using the original official windows disk and was following the nlite instructions. Every screen I have seen during the nlite process looks exactly like the instructions until then. I can rename the file, but the bigger issue is that windows keeps telling me that nlite has encountered a problem and needs to close so I can't finish burning the new install cd.

@ RBIRD7282:

I suspect, that you have put the directory for the XP processing or the driver folder for the integration onto your desktop. You should never do that.

If you want to create a customized Windows XP CD by using a tool like nLite, you should create and use separate folders (named "XPCD" and "Drivers" or similar) in the Root of any partition of your hdd.

Regards

Fernando

@ RBIRD7282:

I suspect, that you have put the directory for the XP processing or the driver folder for the integration onto your desktop. You should never do that.

If you want to create a customized Windows XP CD by using a tool like nLite, you should create and use separate folders (named "XPCD" and "Drivers" or similar) in the Root of any partition of your hdd.

Regards

Fernando

I did as you suggested by creating the folders in the root of the hdd. I have created the customized boot cd with the drivers and now it will not boot from the cd. I have checked the boot devices (and proper order) and the bios version and everything is as it should be. I can install the custom cd in a cd drive on another computer and it will give me the welcome to windows xp screen so I know it's on there. When I try to install windows from the cd I get the message "inspecting current hardware configuration and then the screen goes blank. Not sure where to go from here. Any additional help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by RBIRD7282

When I try to install windows from the cd I get the message "inspecting current hardware configuration and then the screen goes blank. Not sure where to go from here.
Is it possible, that you have more than 3 GB of RAM? If yes, remove 1 stick and try the XP installation again.

When I try to install windows from the cd I get the message "inspecting current hardware configuration and then the screen goes blank. Not sure where to go from here.
Is it possible, that you have more than 3 GB of RAM? If yes, remove 1 stick and try the XP installation again.

Only 2gb ram. Not sure what else to try.

I have tried to go through the whole process twice to no avail.