Integration of NVIDIA's nForce RAID and AHCI drivers

Fernando 1

You wrote" You will get much better results with natively 64bit drivers, if you are going to install a 64bit OS."

What is the better result were you referring to? I did a benchmark test on both x64 with the Official v6.25 and the x64 with v6.99 (your latest Mod) using HD tune (trial version) as the benchmark software.

The benchmark result was identical. Throughput ~100MB/s Seek time 13.2ms.

1. NVIDIA's Beta driverpack v6.25 was published during the first stage of the development of Windows XP x64 to give users with an nForce3 chipset mainboard the chance to use this OS. You cannot expect a high value of stability by using these early Beta drivers.

2. If you are running a 64bit OS, you should use natively 64bit supporting drivers. Otherwise you will get problems (sudden BSOD's).

3. Benchmark results and the results while working are different things. You should compare the drivers with special scenarios, where the I/O activity is extremely high (Videeo encoding, copying big sized files etc.).

You wrote" You will get much better results with natively 64bit drivers, if you are going to install a 64bit OS."

What is the better result were you referring to? I did a benchmark test on both x64 with the Official v6.25 and the x64 with v6.99 (your latest Mod) using HD tune (trial version) as the benchmark software.

The benchmark result was identical. Throughput ~100MB/s Seek time 13.2ms.

1. NVIDIA's Beta driverpack v6.25 was published during the first stage of the development of Windows XP x64 to give users with an nForce3 chipset mainboard the chance to use this OS. You cannot expect a high value of stability by using these early Beta drivers.

2. If you are running a 64bit OS, you should use natively 64bit supporting drivers. Otherwise you will get problems (sudden BSOD's).

3. Benchmark results and the results while working are different things. You should compare the drivers with special scenarios, where the I/O activity is extremely high (Videeo encoding, copying big sized files etc.).

I see, and also experienced. The OS suddenly BSOD the other day during my testing. However I was using XP x86. The x86 driver I used was also old (2004). I would assume the v6.25 for the x64 will also occurs BSOD. I will have to do further testings with v6.25 comparing with v6.99.

I will have to do further testings with v6.25 comparing with v6.99.
That would be interesting for other nForce3 users too.

Just a side note: 6.25 is the version number of NVIDIA's 64bit BETA nForce3 chipset driver package, the included nForce IDE drivers are v4.68. So you are going to compare these old 32/64bit nForce IDE drivers v4.86 dated 30th September 2004 with the natively 64bit supporting v6.99 ones dated 14th May 2007.

Edited by Fernando 1

@ all users with an nForce RAID or AHCI system:

Since my guide (first post of this thread) has not been updated fundamentally for a longer period, I have just revised it totally.

The main things I have changed:

• Users will find a lot of new drivers, which are optimized for the use with RAID systems.
  • For users with an nForce AHCI system there is a completely new chapter "Integration of nForce AHCI drivers".
  • Since the guide "Integration of the nForce RAID drivers" has gotten very voluminous, I have added a "Short form guide".
  • Users will now find direct download links to the suitable textmode drivers.
  • At the end of the guide I have added links to all nForce chipset driverpacks, where the textmode drivers were taken off.

I hope, that my renovated guide doesn't contain any big mistakes and that the drivers I have recommended for the different nForce systems, can be installed without any problems.

Any feedback from your side is much appreciated!

Have fun!

Fernando

Hi Fernando,

I try to follow the links for the prepared drivers (Win XP, 32bit nForce IDE drivers v10.3.0.42 WHQL) and it links to a german nLite page where I get an error message. A very poor iGoogle translation tells me that I don't have access to this page. Do you have to register to download? I can't speak a word of German so this will be tough!

I try to follow the links for the prepared drivers (Win XP, 32bit nForce IDE drivers v10.3.0.42 WHQL) and it links to a german nLite page where I get an error message. A very poor iGoogle translation tells me that I don't have access to this page. Do you have to register to download? I can't speak a word of German so this will be tough!
You are right, the direct links to the German-nLite Forum can only be used by registered users, but this problem will be solved as soon as possible.

You can get the nForce IDE drivers v10.3.0.42, if you download and unzip this official driverpack 15.23 offered by NVIDIA. You will find the needed textmode drivers within the IDE folder.

Regards

Fernando

EDIT:

The problem with the direct links to the German-nLite Forum server has already been solved. If anyone should have any problem to get the files, please give me a feedback!

Edited by Fernando 1

TXTSETUP.SIF

[sourceDisksFiles]

nvgts.sys = 1,,,,,,3_,4,1

[HardwareIdsDatabase]

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_07F4 = "nvgts"

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_07F5 = "nvgts"

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_07F6 = "nvgts"

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_07F7 = "nvgts"

[sCSI.load]

nvgts = nvgts.sys,4

[sCSI]

nvgts = "NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller (AHCI mode)"

[sourceDisksFiles]

nvrd32.sys = 1,,,,,,3_,4,1

[HardwareIdsDatabase]

SCSI\VEN_10DE&DEV_07F8 = "nvrd32"

SCSI\VEN_10DE&DEV_07F9 = "nvrd32"

SCSI\VEN_10DE&DEV_07FA = "nvrd32"

SCSI\VEN_10DE&DEV_07FB = "nvrd32"

SCSI\NVIDIA__Raid_Disk________ = "nvrd32"

SCSI\__NVIDIA_______Raid_Disk = "nvrd32"

SCSI\NVIDIA__Raid_Disk_20_____ = "nvrd32"

SCSI\__NVIDIA____Raid_Disk_20 = "nvrd32"

*_NVRAIDBUS = "nvrd32"

*NVRAIDBUS = "nvrd32"

*NVRAID20 = "nvrd32"

[sCSI.load]

nvrd32 = nvrd32.sys,4

[sCSI]

nvrd32 = "NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller (RAID mode)"

[sourceDisksFiles]

[HardwareIdsDatabase]

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_07F0 = "ide"

[sCSI.load]

ide = nvgts.sys,4

[sCSI]

ide = "NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller (IDE mode)"

[sourceDisksFiles]

[HardwareIdsDatabase]

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_056C = "pata"

[sCSI.load]

pata = nvgts.sys,4

[sCSI]

pata = "NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller (PATA mode)"

WINNT.SIF

OemPnPDriversPath="NFORCE\SATARAID; NFORCE\SATAIDE"

It will be good? I hav the AHCI mode in BIOS selected ad in my Windows XP SP3 EN shows a SCSI driver and HDD (name) N0 drive. Is it good?

TXTSETUP.SIF

[sourceDisksFiles]

nvrd32.sys = 1,,,,,,3_,4,1

[HardwareIdsDatabase]

SCSI\VEN_10DE&DEV_07F8 = "nvrd32"

SCSI\VEN_10DE&DEV_07F9 = "nvrd32"

SCSI\VEN_10DE&DEV_07FA = "nvrd32"

SCSI\VEN_10DE&DEV_07FB = "nvrd32"

SCSI\NVIDIA__Raid_Disk________ = "nvrd32"

SCSI\__NVIDIA_______Raid_Disk = "nvrd32"

SCSI\NVIDIA__Raid_Disk_20_____ = "nvrd32"

SCSI\__NVIDIA____Raid_Disk_20 = "nvrd32"

*_NVRAIDBUS = "nvrd32"

*NVRAIDBUS = "nvrd32"

*NVRAID20 = "nvrd32"

[sCSI.load]

nvrd32 = nvrd32.sys,4

[sCSI]

nvrd32 = "NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller (RAID mode)"

WINNT.SIF

OemPnPDriversPath="NFORCE\SATARAID; NFORCE\SATAIDE"

It will be good? I hav the AHCI mode in BIOS selected ad in my Windows XP SP3 EN shows a SCSI driver and HDD (name) N0 drive. Is it good?

I don't think so.

Questions:

1. What is the reason for you to manually edit the TXTSETUP.SIF? Why don't you just load or integrate the textmode driver?

2. Why did you post your question within the nLite forum? You obviously don't want to use this tool.

3. If you are just running your nForce S-ATA Controllers in AHCI mode, why did you put the RAID drivers entries and the RAID driver folder (SATARAID) into the SIF files? You will only need a suitable SATA_IDE driver folder and there is no NVRD32.SYS.

Edited by Fernando 1

Hello Fernando 1,

Ive been trying to get my new Acer X3200 that uses nForce hard disk drivers to work with bartpe. Got them from pack 15.24.

Ive gone round and round trying to add them by the SCSIAdapter folder. Tried DTS mass storage plugin. Havent gotten the drive to work yet. I even went and pulled all the variants you have listed, as well as a number of others, and rebuilt and tested BartPE a few dozen times now, lol.

If I use a BartPE cd I will get a BSOD. Which is what i'd get with my original xp install discs. I made an nlite xp install using the IDE drivers from 15.24 and it worked like a charm. So I know its a matter of getting these drivers into bartpe effectively.

I finally went and made a USB bartpe which allows me to load up and avoid the bsod, however the hard drive isnt listed in it / isnt seen. So again its the drivers.

I was able to get the drivers installed using F6 off another USB drive, but ideally I want this to work all in BartPE.

Long story short I have been unable to get the driver to work or integrate into bartpe. If you have any advice or can direct me to someone who's done this i'd be massively grateful and happiness abounds :)

Thanks !

@ WarS:

You have to integrate just the SATA_IDE subfolder of a suitable nForce chipset driverpack as TEXTMODE driver.

If you should not succeed with the nForce IDE drivers v10.3.0.42 of NVIDIA's official sets 15.23/15.24, you should download and unzip this small package containing just the suitable SATA_IDE drivers v10.3.0.21. Owners of an ACER X3200 reported, that they succeeded with the XP installation after having integrated these ones.

I have no idea what to do with a BartPE CD.

Good luck!

Fernando

Thanks Fernanado 1,

I will give those linked drivers a try after work. I notice that nlite options the drivers to be textmode when it integrates them. When I use them manually in another app like bartpe, is there something I have to do to make sure they are textmode ? This might be the problem all along but Im unfamiliar with how this is flagged or checked.

Thanks.

I notice that nlite options the drivers to be textmode when it integrates them.
Yes, Windows Setup needs the drivers already within the first (=TEXTMODE) part of the installation. Otherwise it will not detect the nForce SATA Controllers, which are set to "AHCI Mode".
When I use them manually in another app like bartpe, is there something I have to do to make sure they are textmode ? This might be the problem all along but Im unfamiliar with how this is flagged or checked.
If you are not able to integrate these textmode drivers by using a tool like nLite, you have to do a lot of things: creating some new folders, editing some SIF files and copying the NVGTS.SYS file into the i386 folder. If you want to know the exact procedure, you may do a Google search.

Alright. I'm just trying to understand this...I just bought an XPS 630 with these harddrives:

1.) 500GB NCQ SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM) w/ 16MB DataBurst Cache

2.) Western Digital Caviar Blue WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive OEM

It came with WinVista Home Premium, but I plan on switching to WinXP Pro. I won't need any additional drivers for the CD installation to recognize my HDDs, right? Sorry. Been Googling for quite awhile...Just want to be sure here tho'.

IDE/SATA Configuration:

Enables or disables a user to define or change any values related to IDE or SATA devices such as hard drives, optical drives, and so on connected to the computer.

You'll find this in your bios. You need to enter this section and set your drives to the proper setting for XP to recognize them during setup.