Integration of NVIDIA's nForce RAID and AHCI drivers

Fernando 1

Does nVRAID BIOS set HardwareID *NVRAIDBUS and *NVRAID20?

%NVRAID_BUS_DESC%=nvraidbus,*NVRAIDBUS

%NVRAID_BUS_DESC%=nvraidbus,*NVRAID20

Does nVRAID BIOS v4.24 match *NVRAIDBUS ?

Does nVRAID BIOS v4.81 match *NVRAID20 ?

I don't know… Let's ask Sapphire! :)

Sapphire, what can u say about RAID HWIDs with different NVRAID BIOS version @ your K8NS?

Hardware support more modes than the official driver.

http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/specupdate/316973.pdf refers a AHCI 8023.

iaAHCI.inf dosn't match 8023.

Very interesting PDF, but no "8023" string in it :unsure:

Story remids to Intel iastor.

I used PCI\VEN_8086&CC_0106 in the past. And I had to change this concept in the past.

Do u mean, that was a bad idea? U've tried to use СС_0106 for Intel, but then stopped?

I don't clearly understand u... Coz of my english, I guess… (and maybe yours too :D)

Thanks for examples: this show NVidia behave similar.

Driver nvgts.sys support more modes than *.inf files.

As I guess, new NV masstor driver supports directly DEVs, but not modes (CCs).

Strange facts:

1. BIOS allows choose RAID-mode for controller, and for no one channel.

2. BIOS takes controller in strange DEV_07F8&CC_0101 state in this case. I guess, DEV_07F4&CC_0106 or DEV_07F8&CC_0104 would be right :unsure:

Yes, edited *.inf files are fine.

Thanx! Have u tried it on real PC?

Edited by iSmart

Thank you very much for your very interesting and substantiated contributions. Your comment is always welcome! :thumbup

Thank u 4 your work @ http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/1-vt70968.html, man!

We should stay in contact, because I am still going to create/customize nForce IDE drivers for chipsets, which are not supported anymore by NVIDIA.

Well, if not in forum, I'm in ICQ when @ work (my local time is GMT + 6), u're welcome— and other great brains of these forums too :)

…but since this breaks the WHQL stamp, things will be more difficult with Vista and Windows 7.

Well, hackers will produce some patches for it, I'm sure :)

Edited by iSmart

Hi Fernando,

Here's my testing results,

Before I flash my nvraid.rom,

With K8NS F19 BIOS, and nvraid @ v4.60

Using driver version:

6.25 -FAILED,

6.56 -FAILED,

6.67 -FAILED,

6.99 -FAILED,

The window installation was okay, but when the system reboot for the 1st time, it crashes, safe mode, etc, didn't help.

After I flashed my nvraid.rom,

With K8NS F21A BIOS, and nvraid @ v4.81

Using driver version:

6.25 -FAILED,

6.67 -FAILED,

6.99 -FAILED,

The window installation was okay, but when the system reboot for the 1st time, it crashes, safe mode, etc, didn't help.

All drivers were incorporated into the XP 64bit (SP2 Slipstreamed) itself using nLite, into an ISO, then burn the ISO onto a DVD disk.

There should be nothing wrong with my system since I was using Windows XP x86 on RAID0 and nvRaid With K8NS F19 BIOS, and nvraid @ v4.60. It's just that x64 is a bit of a pain to install.

Please advice.

Sapphire

Edited by Sapphire

@ Sapphire:

Thanks for your efforts to get XP x64 installed onto your nForce3 250 RAID system and for reporting your test results.

It's a pity, that the installation failed at least. I didn't expect, that you wouldn't even succeed with the 32/64bit nForce IDE drivers v4.68 of NVIDIA's Beta pack 6.25.

Further questions:

1. Do you have a SataRAID or PataRAID system?

2. Which is the exact HardwareID of your nForce S-ATA or P-ATA Controller (look into the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers section of the Device Manager)?

3. When you tested the nForce IDE drivers v6.99, did you take this driverpack?

Recommendations:

1. Please test the 64bit LEGACY drivers, which were built and customized by me yesterday evening (link).

2. If the installation should fail again, please save the SETUPERR.LOG (if it's not empty) and the SETUPAPI.LOG file. You will find them both within the WINDOWS directory of the partition, where you tried to install XP x64. Zip the LOG file, upload it to RapidShare or any other hoster and post the link.

Good luck!

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

Thanks for your prompt reply, Fernando

Further questions:

1. Do you have a SataRAID or PataRAID system?

2. Which is the exact HardwareID of your nForce S-ATA or P-ATA Controller (look into the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers section of the Device Manager)?

3. When you tested the nForce IDE drivers v6.99, did you take this driverpack?

1. I am using SataRAID with 2 Seagate Brracuda 320G

2. I will have to find that out but need to install a temporary windows x86 on the system first to look at the HardwareID, is the a easy way to read the HardwareID on a system with no OS?

3. I have used your nForce_IDE_699_for_XP_64bit_mod_by_Fernando.zip (637KB)

Recommendations:

1. Please test the 64bit LEGACY drivers, which were built and customized by me yesterday evening (link).

2. If the installation should fail again, please save the SETUPERR.LOG (if it's not empty) and the SETUPAPI.LOG file. You will find them both within the WINDOWS directory of the partition, where you tried to install XP x64. Zip the LOG file, upload it to RapidShare or any other hoster and post the link.

1. I will try this newly built for you.

2. How do I get to access this SETUPERR.LOG? From the Failed OS partition?

Regards,

2. I will have to find that out but need to install a temporary windows x86 on the system first to look at the HardwareID, is the a easy way to read the HardwareID on a system with no OS?
No. If you don't have a running OS an your PC, let it be. It's not that important, since I know, that you have an nForce3 250 SataRAID system.
1. I will try this newly built for you.
It's not for me, but for you and other users (if it should work...).
2. How do I get to access this SETUPERR.LOG? From the Failed OS partition?
Yes, but this will be not easy, because you don't have a dual boot system.

By the way: Why don't you install XP x64 onto a separate partition? That would be the best solution (unless you don't have enough space on your RAID array).

2. How do I get to access this SETUPERR.LOG? From the Failed OS partition Yes, but this will be not easy, because you don't have a dual boot system.

By the way: Why don't you install XP x64 onto a separate partition? That would be the best solution (unless you don't have enough space on your RAID array).

Okay, I should do that then. I do have 600GBytes of space.. :whistle:

I will let you know about the SETUPERR.LOG.

That is a good decision, which will help you to have access to any file even after a crash of any of your installed Operating Systems.
Since I believe, that this file will be without any entry, I need the SETUPAPI.LOG file, which documents the hardware installation procedure.

Good luck!

Fernando

That is a good decision, which will help you to have access to any file even after a crash of any of your installed Operating Systems.

Yes, I am installing a temporary Win XP x86 on my RAID0 now.

Since I believe, that this file will be without any entry, I need the SETUPAPI.LOG file, which documents the hardware installation procedure.

So this SETUPERR.LOG and SETUPAPI.LOG should be in the root dir of the Failed OS partition right? C:\>??

Inf files in this pack looks ok... These should work.

Sapphire, we're waiting 4 your testing results! :)

Hi Guys,

Just a quick head-ups.. No, the 64bit LEGACY drivers that release by Fernando last night didn't work. it behaves the same as the other. installation was okay, but windows can't load, keep crashing, safe mode didn't work..

So this SETUPERR.LOG and SETUPAPI.LOG should be in the root dir of the Failed OS partition right? C:\>??
No, they are within the WINDOWS directory of the failed OS partition (= C:\Windows).
Just a quick head-ups.. No, the 64bit LEGACY drivers that release by Fernando last night didn't work. it behaves the same as the other. installation was okay, but windows can't load, keep crashing, safe mode didn't work..
Are you able to get the SETUPERR.LOG and SETUPAPI.LOG files?
Can u try with official F19 BIOS & its own NVRAID BIOS version?
I am unsure, if you get any nVRAID BIOS version higher than 4.81 running with NF3 chipsets.

No, they are within the WINDOWS directory of the failed OS partition (= C:\Windows).

Yup, I found it..

Are you able to get the SETUPERR.LOG and SETUPAPI.LOG files?

Yes, here it is.. http://rapidshare.com/files/167015343/setup_log.zip.html

Hope this will help you.

Can u try with official F19 BIOS & its own NVRAID BIOS version?
I am unsure, if you get any nVRAID BIOS version higher than 4.81 running with NF3 chipsets.

It basically behave exactly the same with F19, v4.60 and the new F21A, v4.81. So I don't really think that is a factor. I wouldn't think v4.84 will help either. And yes, I have just installed Windows XP x86 Slipstream SP3 on my RAID0 on the first try, no problem whatsoever. So all my hardware is good.

Yes, here it is.. http://rapidshare.com/files/167015343/setup_log.zip.html

Hope this will help you.

Thanks for sampling and uploading the files.

I will have a deeper look into the SETUPAPI.LOG file and write, what I found.

And yes, I have just installed Windows XP x86 Slipstream SP3 on my RAID0 on the first try, no problem whatsoever. So all my hardware is good.
Which nForce SataRAID drivers (which driver version, LEGACY or SATARAID+SATA_IDE) did you take? It would be interesting to know, if the 32bit version of the v6.99 IDE drivers are working with your RAID system. Edited by Fernando 1