Integration of NVIDIA's nForce RAID and AHCI drivers

Fernando 1

Okay, I just tried iSmart's NVidia AHCI controller, but it doesn't work, I think that driver is not for XP 64bit??? iSmart?

Oh yeah, only 32-bit. Sorry for didn't make a point.

So, u can try to apply my changes to 64-bit driver's inf.

Edited by iSmart

Okay, I just tried iSmart's NVidia AHCI controller, but it doesn't work, I think that driver is not for XP 64bit??? iSmart?

Oh yeah, only 32-bit. Sorry for didn't make a point.

So, u can try to apply my changes to 64-bit driver's inf.

How do I apply your changes? THanks.. but I don't get it... :whistle:

Hi party people.

Try this: NV_RAID_AHCI.rar

It supports any NVidia AHCI controller and can install NVGTS.SYS for PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_07F8&CC_0101, f.e.

ONLY for WinXP 32-bit (x86).

Thanks for the link to the modded 32bit nForce IDE drivers v10.3.0.42, which seem to be very interesting, but unusable for Sapphire with his nForce3 chipset RAID system.

After having done a first view into the driver folders, I found the following:

1. Only AHCI capable nForce chipsets (from MCP65 up) are supported by these nForce IDE drivers.

2. The drivers contain just the english (US and UK) and russian co-installer DLL files, all others are missing.

3. Within the NVGTS.INF file there seems to be a mistake within the list of supported HardwareID's (the first lines do not contain the DEV ID).

4. Very interesting: The modded drivers seem to support even the newest nForce chipsets (newer HardwareID's than NVIDIA's recent driver sets 15.23/15.24/20.08).

You are right - you cannot use these drivers, because they are 32bit ones and do not support nForce3 chipsets at all.

1. Only AHCI capable nForce chipsets (from MCP65 up) are supported by these nForce IDE drivers.

Oh yeah.

2. The drivers contain just the english (US and UK) and russian co-installer DLL files, all others are missing.

U're right. Not missed but cutted down— I use this pack for install drivers onto PCs in Russia ;-)

3. Within the NVGTS.INF file there seems to be a mistake within the list of supported HardwareID's (the first lines do not contain the DEV ID).

No mistake. PCI\VEN_10DE&CC_0106 really works— and works great.

Just let me explain:

In fact, we have the one and only driver (any latest, now it's 10.3.0.42) for all AHCI-mode HWID's— so, no need to enumerate all of them with DEV's— just PCI\VEN_10DE&CC_0106— and it's done.

Note: it's not applicable, if u wanna use different drivers for different AHCI-chipsets (f.e., for best performance or smth. like it)

4. Very interesting: The modded drivers seem to support even the newest nForce chipsets (newer HardwareID's than NVIDIA's recent driver sets 15.23/15.24/20.08).

May be, but we can't check it out— no MoBos on newer chipsets on the market ;-)

Edited by iSmart

FYI:

My driver set based on 10.3.0.42, for AHCI chipsets.

K8NS based on nForce3, which doesn't support AHCI-mode.

Okay, I will stick with Fernando's modded v6.99.

I will let you know about the result.

Edited by Sapphire

No mistake. PCI\VEN_10DE&CC_0106 really works— and works great.

Just let me explain:

In fact, we have the one and only driver (any latest, now it's 10.3.0.42) for all AHCI-mode HWID's— so, no need to enumerate all of them with DEV's— just PCI\VEN_10DE&CC_0106— and it's done.

Are you sure about that?

If the "PCI\VEN_10DE&CC_0106" entry is good for all DEV's, why are there still listed a lot of them?

@ Sapphire:

Since you now have an updated nVRAID BIOS v4.81, you probably will be able to get XP x64 installed by using one of my modded nForce IDE drivers v6.99.

Please try to install Windows XP x64 again by using my modded nForce IDE drivers 6.99 (Link).

Attention: Both driver folders should be integrated by using nLite (SATARAID as textmode and SATA_IDE as PnP driver).

If the installation should fail, you may try to create another XP x64 CD with integrated nForce IDE drivers v6.99, but this time you should take the content of my just created LEGACY folder as textmode driver.

Download this driver version from here, unzip it and integrate the content of the unzipped package as textmode driver.

Attention: You have to use a freshly created source folder. Don't start the new nLite session with an already used source.

Good luck!

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

If the "PCI\VEN_10DE&CC_0106" entry is good for all DEV's, why are there still listed a lot of them?

I understand:

old nforce controllers don't use AHCI.

They are either PCI\VEN_10DE&CC_0101 or PCI\VEN_10DE&CC_0104.

PCI\VEN_10DE&CC_0106 match all nforce AHCI controllers.

This includes a PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_044D&CC_0106. PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_044D is not part of iSmart nvgts.inf.

Currently: a new driver may match all nforce AHCI controllers.

However this may fail in future. A old driver may fail at new hardware.

PCI\VEN_10DE&CC_0106 is a good idea today, but may fail in future.

Nvidia may release conflicting drivers.

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0ABC match

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0ABC&CC_0101

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0ABC&CC_0104

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0ABC&CC_0106

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0ABC&CC_0180

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0ABC&CC_1234

The last two examples dosn't exist.

All new nforce controllers are connected to nvgts.sys.

This maybe a good or bad idea.

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_*&CC_* may get more stable results now and in future.

iSmart Nvrd32.inf: there are only Raid*20 HardwareIDs.

Does this refer to old nforce controllers only?

%NVRAID_DESC%=nvraid,GenNvRaidDisk

%NVRAID_DESC%=nvraid,SCSI\NVIDIA__Raid_Disk________

%NVRAID_DESC%=nvraid,SCSI\__NVIDIA_______Raid_Disk

%NVRAID_BUS_DESC%=nvraidbus,*_NVRAIDBUS

%NVRAID_BUS_DESC%=nvraidbus,*NVRAIDBUS

Another question:

Does BIOS or driver set Raid HardwareID?

Thanx 4 your questions.

I understand:

old nforce controllers don't use AHCI.

They are either PCI\VEN_10DE&CC_0101 or PCI\VEN_10DE&CC_0104.

PCI\VEN_10DE&CC_0106 match all nforce AHCI controllers.

This includes a PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_044D&CC_0106. PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_044D is not part of iSmart nvgts.inf.

Currently: a new driver may match all nforce AHCI controllers.

However this may fail in future. A old driver may fail at new hardware.

U're extremely right. But we live nowadays, not in future.

PCI\VEN_10DE&CC_0106 is a good idea today, but may fail in future.

Nvidia may release conflicting drivers.

As I wrote, my idea with СС_0106 isn't applicable for different AHCI drivers. In future, if NVidia will release AHCI-2 driver, my concept must be revised, back to DEV's again. U're right.

But it's another future problem, not today's.

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0ABC match

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0ABC&CC_0101

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0ABC&CC_0104

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0ABC&CC_0106

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0ABC&CC_0180

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0ABC&CC_1234

The last two examples dosn't exist.

All new nforce controllers are connected to nvgts.sys.

This maybe a good or bad idea.

In normal IDE-mode, u have DEV_07??&CC_0101. U can't install NV masstor driver.

In normal RAID-mode, u have DEV_07F8&CC_0104. U must install NV masstor driver + NV raid driver.

In normal AHCI-mode, u have DEV_07F4&CC_0106. U must install NV masstor driver.

But on MCP73, u can turn on RAID-mode in BIOS for controller, but for no one channel.

In this case, u have (surprise!) DEV_07F8&CC_0101. U can (surprise!) install NV masstor driver.

I've edited inf-file for this case.

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_*&CC_* may get more stable results now and in future.

No doubt.

iSmart Nvrd32.inf: there are only Raid*20 HardwareIDs.

Does this refer to old nforce controllers only?

%NVRAID_DESC%=nvraid,GenNvRaidDisk

%NVRAID_DESC%=nvraid,SCSI\NVIDIA__Raid_Disk________

%NVRAID_DESC%=nvraid,SCSI\__NVIDIA_______Raid_Disk

%NVRAID_BUS_DESC%=nvraidbus,*_NVRAIDBUS

I guess, it's for old controllers, with no AHCI support. And my practice tell me I'm right.

Another question:

Does BIOS or driver set Raid HardwareID?

I don't understand this question :(

Edited by iSmart

On "old" NV chipsets (nForce2—MCP61), one DEV can have different CC's for different modes:

DEV_0267&CC_0101— SATA

DEV_0267&CC_0104— RAID

On "new" NV chipsets (MCP65—…), one DEV can't have different CC's for different modes:

DEV_0550&CC_0101— SATA

DEV_0554&CC_0106— AHCI

DEV_0558&CC_0104— RAID

DEV_0560&CC_0101— PATA

But there is, at least, one exclusion: see my prev. post (MCP73):

DEV_07F8&CC_0104— real RAID

DEV_07F8&CC_0101— fake RAID w/ no array(s)— but controller in AHCI mode! (yes, with CC_0101!)

On "old" NV chipsets (nForce2—MCP61), one DEV can have different CC's for different modes:

DEV_0267&CC_0101— SATA

DEV_0267&CC_0104— RAID

On "new" NV chipsets (MCP65—…), one DEV can't have different CC's for different modes:

DEV_0550&CC_0101— SATA

DEV_0554&CC_0106— AHCI

DEV_0558&CC_0104— RAID

DEV_0560&CC_0101— PATA

But there is, at least, one exclusion: see my prev. post (MCP73):

DEV_07F8&CC_0104— real RAID

DEV_07F8&CC_0101— fake RAID w/ no array(s)— but controller in AHCI mode! (yes, with CC_0101!)

Thanks for these additional informations.

Further questions:

1. Is it necessary or useful to list "DEV_560" (= P-ATA Controller of MCP67 boards) within the INF file of any nForce driverpack, although this device cannot use any nForce IDE driver (it needs the MS generic IDE driver PCIIDE.SYS)?

2. Do users with a "fake RAID with no array, but controller in AHCI mode" need to integrate your RAID or your AHCI folder?

Great forum, great people, great questions.

1. Is it necessary or useful to list "DEV_560" (= P-ATA Controller of MCP67 boards) within the INF file of any nForce driverpack, although this device cannot use any nForce IDE driver (it needs the MS generic IDE driver PCIIDE.SYS)?

Not necessary, not useful. I u'll try, u'll get BSOD. I tried :)

2. Do users with a "fake RAID with no array, but controller in AHCI mode" need to integrate your RAID or your AHCI folder?

Not necessary, but useful. As I remember (don't have MCP73 at moment), both folders are needed.

I tried— and it was installed correctly.

If not integrate, it will be common IDE-mode with common WinXP IDE driver (СС_0101— when WinXP setup, no problem with searching for HDD on textmode stage, no problem with install on graphics stage, and so on).

If integrate, it will be native AHCI-mode with NVidia NVSTOR driver— and (may be) improved performance.

I don't understand this question :(

Sapphire used nVRAID BIOS v4.24, v4.60 and v4.81.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=813201

Does nVRAID BIOS set HardwareID *NVRAIDBUS and *NVRAID20?

%NVRAID_BUS_DESC%=nvraidbus,*NVRAID20

Does nVRAID BIOS v4.24 match *NVRAIDBUS ?

Does nVRAID BIOS v4.81 match *NVRAID20 ?

Story remids to Intel iastor.

Hardware support more modes than the official driver.

http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/specupdate/316973.pdf refers a AHCI 8023.

iaAHCI.inf dosn't match 8023.

I used PCI\VEN_8086&CC_0106 in the past. And I had to change this concept in the past.

Thanks for examples: this show NVidia behave similar.

Driver nvgts.sys support more modes than *.inf files.

Yes, edited *.inf files are fine.

@ iSmart:

Thank you very much for your very interesting and substantiated contributions. Your comment is always welcome! :thumbup

We should stay in contact, because I am still going to create/customize nForce IDE drivers for chipsets, which are not supported anymore by NVIDIA.

Regards

Fernando

EDIT:

Driver nvgts.sys support more modes than *.inf files.

Yes, edited *.inf files are fine.

That's right, but since this breaks the WHQL stamp, things will be more difficult with Vista and Windows 7. Edited by Fernando 1