Integration of NVIDIA's nForce RAID and AHCI drivers

Fernando 1

Quick question, I had finally got my install working using the 'fail safe' method a month ago. Everything has been fine until I went to install the latest nForce (15.23)....I'm guessing that was a big no no? BSoD, fixed with Last working config.
The nForce IDE drivers of the 15.23 package are not working for all nForce RAID systems.
Question: Is it possible to update the nForce drivers after OS install?
Yes.
And to all those people out there who keep failing with BSoD when using nLite....You MUST start fresh everytime! i.e. Delete the working folder, copy fresh OS files into it and complete your integration.....it took me a week before I realised I had been integrating drivers into the same working folder. I'd forgotten that it changes the source files/directories THEN creates the image from the files. It does NOT create a temporary image without first altering your source files. So be sure to delete that source folder on every attempt!...and thank Fernando for all his hard work!
That's a good advice.

CU

Fernando

Revised post: Dear Fernando, I recently posted a thank-you message because your method of driver integration worked for me. Now, however, there is a problem. To recap: We purchased a refurbished Dell XPS 720 running Windows XP Media Center 2005. I was unable to set up a RAID1 array until I found your guide, which worked perfectly. However, after about two weeks, we now have a "RAID failure" and lost-access error message. The computer came with a Seagate Barracuda 320-GB HD. The second drive we added is an identical Seagate Barracuda. The RAID array error message from the nVidia MediaShield program says the array is "degraded." The newer of the two drives is still working and the computer is functioning normally. What do I do next? How do I figure out if this is a software problem, non-disk hardware problem, or the disk has actually failed? I tried running Seatools for DOS on the hard drive and got an error message but I have a feeling that Seatools does not run correctly on a mirrored drive.

ADDENDUM: After a few days, NVIDIA MediaShield's message has changed. Both drives now read as "Healthy" but the RAID array is "Degraded." No popup or context (right-click) command is associated with HD0, but "Delete Array" appears when I click on HD1. No "Rebuild Array" command is available. I've tried going into the RAID manager at machine startup prior to OS loading, but the Rebuild Array command does not seem to work, i.e., nothing happens when I try to execute it. :}

Which driver version and which folder did you integrate?
The exact error is:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF7AFA528,0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Did you check your RAM by using memtest?

Did you check your RAM by using memtest?
Pass complete, no errors, press ESC to exit.
It is very hard for me to help you, because you obviously don't know much about your hardware and BIOS settings and I don't can look over your shoulder.

If you cannot get any help from a friend in your neighborhood, you should try to use the default BIOS settings and to boot off the original (untouched) OS CD.

As long as you don't even know, if you are running RAID or AHCI, everything else doesn't make any sense.

Please keep in mind, that I currently am far away from home for some weeks and that I only have internet connection from within an internet cafe.

CU

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

Hi, I was wondering, why doesn't running driverback BASE on my mostly clean nlite install (no drivers integrated, sp3, chipset is nforce 6100/nforce 425, board is MSI K9N6SGM-V) work

when I boot my nlite cd on this particular box, it sees the array, I start the install, but when the textmode part end, after it reboots for the first time, it never completes booting and just reboot endlessly

from reading the first post, it appears my problem is that it's using the MS IDE drivers, but I can't figure out how to fix this

I guess I could only integrate the sataraid drivers and make one special cd just from this box, but then it appears intel boxes have a similar problem is there no way to use driverpacks to make one nlite cd that boot and install on any machine ?

Important information for all users, who are here for the first time:

This thread has got a big volume with a lot of sites and hundreds of replies. There is no reason to waste time and to read them. All you need to know is laid down in this first post. If I get any new information, which might be important or useful, I will edit it into this post!

So this first post will always be up-to-date!

Last update: 10/01/2008

Introduction:

The problem:

None of the Pre-Vista Windows Operating Systems do contain drivers, which are able to detect and to use any nForce RAID Controller. Unless the suitable nForce Sata/PataRAID drivers are separately presented by the user, the OS installation fails, because the OS Setup doesn't find the RAID device and its partitions.

The traditional way to provide the needed drivers is the F6/floppy method, but this method has some severe disadvantages:

1. A floppy drive is needed, but not available at many actual desktop computers and notebooks.
  2. Floppy disks are the worst data storage media regarding the file integrity. Bad floppy disks are the main reason for corrupted driver files.
  3. Even if you load the correct nForce driver and the RAID is detected by the Setup, the OS installation may end with a BSOD or endless reboot loops.
    The reason for this phenomenon is the fact, that the MS Operating systems prefer to install the MS IDE Controllers and drivers instead of the special NVIDIA nForce S-ATA/P-ATA ones, which are absolutely needed for Sata/PataRAID systems. At the beginning of the installation procedure (during the TEXTMODE part) the loaded nForce textmode drivers are accepted and able to detect the SataRAID/PataRAID Controller, but after the first reboot - during the hardware installation part of the installation - the correctly detected nForce S-ATA-/P-ATA Controller may be replaced by the absolutely wrong MS Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller. The consequence is a system crash at the last reboot.

The better alternative is the integration of the needed textmode drivers into a bootable OS CD. Only this way the user can be sure to succeed with the installation of the OS onto an nForce RAID array. Nevertheless the developers of the driver integration method had to solve the above specified problem (see point 3). Until 2005 the correct installation of the needed Controllers and drivers needed addtional manual work of the user. They only succeeded after having created special folders and edited some SIF and/or OEM files.

The solution:

The safest and easiest way to get the problematic nForce textmode drivers properly installed is to integrate them by using a tool like nLite. All actual versions of nLite (Since v1.0 Final) have incorporated a special method, which guarantees the successful OS installation onto any nForce RAID system (if the user observes some rules layed down below). The replacement of the correct nForce Controllers and drivers by the "wrong" MS IDE ones will be prevented by the incorporated suppression of the MS IDE drivers during the hardware detection part of the OS installation.

Advantages:

- fully automatic method (without creating new directories or editing SIF or OEM files)

- support of not digitally signed textmode drivers

- without restriction of any kind during the use of nLite

Here is the way how to do it:

Integration of the

NVIDIA nForce S-ATA and RAID drivers

by using nLite

Guide for Windows XP (32/64bit), Windows Server 2003 (32/64bit) and Windows 2000

Attention:

The following guide is primarily designed for users, who want to get the OS installed onto an nForce Raid array!

Users with a non-RAID nForce SATA system or with a RAID array outside the MBR will find some information at the end of this post.

Important Requirements:

You only will succeed with the integration of the nForce SataRaid drivers, if you have

• a correctly created nForce RAID array (shown as "healthy" and set as bootable, for further information look here)
  • an up-to-date mainboard and nVRaid BIOS (= MediaShield IDE ROM), which is part of the mainboard BIOS. Actual nVRaid drivers may need a Raid Bios v. 4.81 or higher.
  • a stable system (proper RAM modules and stable BIOS settings)
  • an original (=untouched) OS CD as source (don't use or reuse a source, which has already been processed by nLite!)
  • a proper working IDE-connected CD or DVD drive
  • an enabled ACPI power management (within BIOS, don't disable it by nLite settings).

Tips:

1. You can see the nVRaid BIOS (=MediaShield) version of your system on the second boot screen. If you can't get a Raid BIOS version v. 4.81 or higher after having flashed the latest mainboard BIOS, you might get problems with the integration of the latest nForce SataRaid drivers.
  2. The successful integration of the nForce SataRaid drivers into a bootable OS CD requires the presence of the latest available Service Pack (SP) of the used OS. If your OS CD does not contain any SP, you should integrate the latest SP as first step, when you are going to create your nLited CD with integrated nForce SataRaid drivers.
  3. XP 32bit (x86) only: If possible don't try to slipstream SP3 into an XP SP1 or SP2 CD. In this case it's better to take an original ("Gold"/RTM) OS CD without any SP as source for slipstreaming SP3 and the nForce SataRaid drivers. Otherwise you may get problems during the installation of the nLited CD.
  4. It is a good idea to unplug all unnecessary external hardware devices during the installation of the OS with integrated nVRaid drivers.
  5. If you have any hard disk drive outside your RAID array or a plugged-in USB stick, you may get the problem that the MS Setup routine tries to install the master boot record (MBR) onto that non-RAID device, although you have set the RAID array as first bootable hard disk drive within BIOS. The only sure way to prevent this is to unplug these non-RAID devices during the installation of the OS. After the successful installation they can be reconnected without any problems.

Now possible for nearly everyone:

Get actual WHQL certified nForce SataRaid drivers from scratch

The above mentioned and approved methods to integrate the nForce SataRaid drivers into a bootable XP CD were primarily documented by me in July 2005. Meanwhile NVIDIA has released a lot of new nForce chipset driver packages with WHQL certified nForce Sata and Raid drivers. You can find them within the SATARAID and SATA_IDE subfolders. The problem was, that users with some (mostly LEGACY mode) nForce SataRaid systems obviously could not use them during the installation (to avoid BSOD's or endless reboot loops at the end of the OS installation). They had to take the not digitally signed LEGACY drivers.

After a lot of new tests with the current version of nLite I figured out, that it is possible to get the newest WHQL certified nForce SataRaid drivers installed even onto LEGACY mode nForce SataRaid systems, when you do a special combination of the nForce SataRaid driver integration:

• Integration of the SATARAID subfolder (from the suitable nForce chipset driver package) as TEXTMODE driver and additionally
  • Integration of the SATA_IDE subfolder (from the same nForce chipset driver package) as PnP driver!

At the end of the successul OS installation I had a flawlessly running XP (32/64bit) or W2k3 (32/64bit), all nForce IDE drivers (the SATA and RAID ones) were WHQL certified.

Advantages of the WHQL driver integration method:

• A running Windows XP is optimally prepared for a later upgrade with Vista, when it has WHQL certified SataRaid drivers from scratch (Vista Setup looks for the drivers which were installed first of all during the XP installation).
  • By using this new method you will get at the end the MS IDE instead of the NVIDIA P-ATA (=IDE s/w) driver (a lot of nForce users have troubles with the NVIDIA ones). Remark: If you don't want the MS IDE drivers, you can easily replace them by the NVIDIA IDE driver after the end of the OS installation.

These findings are a big step forward for nearly all users with an nForce SataRaid system. This new method works with nearly every nForce chipset (except nForce2 and nForce3).

1. nVRaid Driver Choice and Preparation:

Although nLite allows the correct integration of the actual nForce SataRaid drivers and prevents the installation of the wrong MS IDE standard drivers, the biggest problem is the creation of the optimal nVRaid driver prepackaging. The choice of the best driver version and combination depends on the system (Chipset details and Raid BIOS version) and the OS. NVIDIA has complicated all this, because they often change the composition of their driver packages and even the names of the files for not understandable reasons. Nevertheless I found a solution, which should be suitable for nearly everyone.

A. Preparation for the WHQL driver integration method:

• Normal option for mainboards with any nForce chipset (except nForce2 and nForce3):
    The preparation is very easy, because all you need is the suitable actual nForce chipset driver package.
    You can find the newest and probably best nForce chipset driver combination pack for all nForce 4-6 series chipset mainboards within this post.
    Alternatively you can search for a suitable driver pack at NVIDIA's drivers homepage. In this case you should know the exact name of your nForce chipset (look into your mainboard manual or google for it). If you want to use the official nForce chipset driver pack, which NVIDIA is offering for your chipset, you should go here and choose the correct "Product Type" (take "nForce"), "Product Series" (chipset generation), "Product" (special chipset) and "Operating System" (OS you are going to install).
    Download the nForce chipset driver package of your choice and unpack it by using a tool like WinRar or 7-zip.
  • Alternative option for socket 754/939 mainboards with an nForce4, nForce4xx or nForce5xx chipset:
    Some of the nForce chipset packages offered by NVIDIA are already old. If you want new and suitable nForce IDE drivers from scratch, you should choose this WHQL driver choice option.
    Fujitsu-Siemens has published very good and stable nForce IDE drivers v.6.99 dated 05/15/2007. They are WHQL signed and usable for all mentioned nForce chipsets. Users, who want to integrate these drivers, should download the suitable (32bit or 64bit) SATARAID and SATA_IDE packages from the FSC support sites.
    Here are the links to the 32bit packages, usable for XP, W2k and W2k3:
    32bit nForce SATARAID drivers v.6.99 WHQL and 32bit nForce SATA_IDE drivers v.6.99 WHQL.
    And here are the links to the 64bit packages, usable for XP x64 and W2k3 x64:
    64bit nForce SATARAID drivers v.6.99 WHQL and 64bit nForce SATA_IDE drivers v.6.99 WHQL.
    Unpack both SATARAID and SATA_IDE packages and store them somewhere. You will need them for the later driver integration. The extracted "SATA_RAID F6 driver disk 32/64Bit" folder contains the SATARAID textmode drivers (has a TXTSETUP.OEM file), whereas the "SATA DRIVER 32/64Bit" folder is similar to the "SATA_IDE" folder (contains just the nForce S-ATA driver as PnP driver).

B. Preparation for the traditional LEGACY driver integration method:

Get the newest nForce IDE drivers onto nForce2 or nForce3 chipset mainboards (suitable for nForce4 PataRaid systems too)

If your mainboard BIOS contains an appropriate nVRaid BIOS version (4.81 for nForce2/3, 4.84 for nForce4), it is possible to get the newest 32bit nForce SataRaid drivers v.6.99 dated 05/15/2007 installed onto an "old" nForce2 or nForce3 SataRaid system. Owners of an nForce3 chipset mainboard or an nForce4 PataRaid system even have the chance to run XP x64 or W2k3 x64 by using the modified 64bit nForce IDE drivers v.6.99.

To make it easier for you I have customised the nForce IDE drivers 6.99, put the needed files into a LEGACY folder (to make clear, that they are modified and not WHQL anymore) and uploaded them to Rapidshare.

You can download the small LEGACY driver package, which is suitable for the OS you are going to install (32bit or 64bit), here:

modded 32bit nForce LEGACY drivers v.6.99 (usable for XP, W2k and W2k3)

modded 64bit nForce LEGACY drivers v.6.99 (usable for XP x64 and W2k3 x64).

Unzip the package by using a tool like WinRar or 7-zip and store the LEGACY folder somewhere.

Other suitable nForce LEGACY IDE drivers ("last chance" drivers for problematic chipsets)

A. LEGACY drivers for XP, W2k and W2k3 (32bit):

• Users with an nForce2, nForce3 or nForce4 chipset, who don't succeed with the previously mentioned drivers, should download this nForce chipset driver package containing nForce IDE drivers v.6.67. Although this package was mainly designed for Vista Beta2, it works flawlessly with XP, W2k and W2k3 too.
    Unzip the package by using a tool like WinRar or 7-zip and store the IDE\driver\LEGACY subfolder somewhere. You will need no other preparation.
  • Users with an nForce2 chipset can take this official nForce chipset driver package v.5.10 (usable for Windows XP and Windows 2000).
  • Users with an nForce3 chipset will find here the latest official 32bit nForce chipset driver package 5.11 (usable for Windows XP and Windows 2000)
    Warning: Don't use the Ethernet drivers of this package, they are broken!

B. LEGACY drivers for XP x64 and W2k3 x64 (64bit):

• Users with an nForce3 or nForce4 chipset can take one of the available x64 NVIDIA nForce chipset driver packages v.6.67. For the integration into an XP x64 CD you should take the one you get here, whereas users, who want to create a W2k3 x64 CD, should take the one you get here.
    Just unzip the suitable package and store the LEGACY subfolder somewhere.
  • The only 64bit nForce chipset driver package published by NVIDIA for nForce3 chipsets is the very old Beta package v.6.25. You can get it here.
    Unzip the package and store the IDE\WinXP folder somewhere.
  • Users with an nForce3 or nForce4 chipset mainboard, whose nVRaid BIOS cannot be updated, may try the old and not natively 64-bit nForce package 6.56 (downloadable here).
    Just unzip the package and store the IDE\WinXP folder somewhere.

2. Processing with nLite:

This is what you should do:

• Ensure that you have installed the newest nLite version and that you have administrator rights.
  • Create a new folder somewhere on any available hard disk drive and name it as you like (for example "XPCD" or "XPx64CD") .
  • Copy the whole content of the original OS CD into the just created folder. Don't use any already nLited or modded source.
  • Open nLite and do what you want, but you must choose the button "Integrate Drivers".
  • Within the "Integrate Drivers" part of nLite you have to hit the "Insert" button, choose the "single driver" option and point to your just prepared nVRaid driver subfolder LEGACY or SATARAID (depending on the driver integration method you are going to use) as textmode drivers. You will get the following popup window:
    post-58937-1194290227_thumb.jpg
    If you have an nForce SataRaid system, you have to take both of the nForce Sata/Raid Drivers/Controllers (NVIDIA RAID CLASS DRIVER and NVIDIA nForce Storage Controller) nLite shows within a popup window as "required". To make it easier for you, nLite has already enabled both needed drivers. (Notice: Users with a non-Raid nForce S-ATA system, who want/have to integrate the nForce S-ATA driver as TEXTMODE, should only load the required "NVIDIA nForce Storage Controller".)
  • For users with an nForce 5xx or 6xx chipset mainboard I recommend to integrate just the content of the SATARAID subfolder as textmode driver. The additional integration of the SATA_IDE subfolder is not needed and may not work with all of these new nForce chipsets.
  • If you are using the new mixed SATARAID/SATA_IDE integration method, you have to integrate the SATARAID subfolder as textmode driver and additionally the SATA_IDE subfolder of the same package as PnP driver.
    Important notice: The additional integration of the SATA_IDE subfolder is not the best choice for all nForce SataRaid users. Users, who don't want to additionally integrate the SATA_IDE subfolder should pay attention, if they are using any nLite version released before v.1.4 Final: Some former nLite versions (v.1.2 until v.1.3 Beta) have done the additional integration of the SATA_IDE subfolder automatically, when users offered the SATARAID subfolder of a complete nForce chipset driver package. Since nLite v.1.3 RC this automatic behaviour has been replaced by a popup window question during the driver integration processing. With nLite v.1.4 Final even the popup window regarding the additional integration of the SATA_IDE subfolder has been removed. This may avoid irritations with users, who don't want or don't need to additionally integrate the SATA_IDE subfolder.
  • Users, who want or have to use the LEGACY driver integration method, should just integrate the LEGACY subfolder of their prepared driver package (see above). They may not integrate any other IDE subfolder (neither SATARAID nor SATA_IDE).
  • Since nLite v. 1.0 RC7 you have the choice between a single driver or a multiple driver folder integration. You should integrate the nForce SataRaid drivers with the single driver option. Only this way you can be sure, that nLite integrates the correct driver subfolder which you have prepared earlier.
  • Then you can integrate the other nForce drivers (SMBus, Ethernet etc.) as "normal drivers". Only users with an nForce4 system may take them out of the same NVIDIA chipset package they used for the integration of the SataRaid drivers. Users with an nForce2 or nForce3 system have to integrate these drivers (and the GART ones) from special packages suitable for their chipset.
  • Tip: If you want to integrate any graphic adapter driver, take a WHQL-certified version (Warning: don't take Forceware v. 91.33 - you may get endless reboots at the end of the install!).

3. nLite Finishing and CD-Creation:

• Let nLite create the ISO file and burn it as bootable CD. If you are using the burning software Nero, just choose "Recorder" > "Burn Image" and point to your just created ISO file. Burn at no more than 8x(DVD) or 24x(CD) and choose the "Verify" option to avoid any burning errors!

At the end you will have a bootable 32bit or 64bit Windows OS CD with integrated NVIDIA Sata/Raid drivers - no F6 and no floppy will be necessary.

Tips for the Installation of the OS:

• Make sure that your BIOS settings are ok. You will only be able to install the OS by booting off your nLited CD, when the CD-ROM device with your nLited CD is set as first bootable device.
  • Before you begin with the installation of the OS by using your nLited CD, make sure that there is no floppy within your floppy drive, no USB stick within any USB port and no Memory Card within your Card Reader.
  • If you are using more than 2 GB of RAM, it is a good idea to remove 1-2 sticks during the OS installation (otherwise you may get a lot of errors during the OS Setup). Once the OS is up, they can be reinserted.
  • Don't hit F6 and don't insert a driver floppy if you install an OS by using a CD with integrated nForce SataRaid drivers!

Good luck!

CU

Fernando

Annex I

MediaShield/Raidtool installation guide:

The easiest way to get the Raidtool installed is by running the SETUP.EXE of the associated nForce chipset driver package, but by doing this all nForce IDE drivers of the package will be installed too (and maybe replace the better and currently working ones).

In these cases you have to use another way to get full access to the MediaShield/RAID software (NVIDIA Control Panel) after having completed the OS installation.

Here is the guide for the manual installation of the nForce Raidtool (on the basis of a post from nForcersHQ forums member TheMaxx32000):

• Run your just installed OS.
  • Create a new folder named "RAIDTOOL" somewhere within your currently running OS partition (for example within the directory "\Program Files")
  • Search for the RAIDTOOL folder of the actual 32bit/64bit XP/W2k/W2k3 nForce chipset driver package
  • Extract the RAIDTOOL.cab into the just created RAIDTOOL folder of your OS partition
  • Open the RAIDTOOL folder with the extracted files
  • Doubleclick the REGRAID.BAT (you will find it in older Raidtools) or REGRAIDSEDONA.BAT (actual file name of the Sedona type Raidtool) to register the Raidtool Services
  • Run the NVRAIDMAN.EXE (normal MediaShield) or NVCPLUI.EXE (Sedona type NVIDIA Control Panel)

Now you will see the MediaShield Control Panel. It should also appear as NVIDIA Control Panel within the Vista Control Panel, but if it doesn't, try to install nTune on top.

For further information about the abilities of the NVIDIA MediaShield software you should open the MediaShield help file (as .chm or .pdf), which you will find within the extracted raidtool files.

Suggestion: You should create shortcuts to the .EXE files of the RAIDTOOL folder and put them into your Startmenu folder. This way you will get an easy access to all services of the MediaShield/Raidtool.

Annex II

A. Tips for users with a non-Raid nForce S-ATA system:

• The actual versions of Windows XP (32/64bit) and Server 2003 (32/64bit) should be able to detect nForce S-ATA Controller connected hdd's without any 3rd party drivers, provided that you have done the needed BIOS settings (you have to choose the IDE mode of the S-ATA Controllers). So normally there is no reason to hit F6 or to integrate the nForce SATA drivers as TEXTMODE drivers.
  • Nevertheless it is possible and useful to integrate the nForce SATA drivers as normal device (=PnP) drivers into an nLited CD. The way is simple: Just integrate the content of the SATA_IDE subfolder of the actual nForce chipset driver package, which is designed for the special nForce SATA chipset of your mainboard (look at NVIDIA's driver page). This PnP driver integration is very easy with nLite. Just click at one of the INF files you find within the SATA_IDE folder, it doesn't matter which one.

• New and important for users with an AHCI capable mainboard:
    Some actual nForce chipsets (for example nForce 520, nForce 630a/610a or nForce 630i/610i) have advanced S-ATA features named "AHCI". If your RAID Controllers are disabled and the S-ATA Controllers are set to "AHCI Mode" within the mainboard BIOS, the SATA drive(s) is/are not detected at the beginning of the OS installation, unless the required special nForce S-ATA drivers have been loaded or integrated as textmode drivers. Vice versa users with an AHCI supporting nForce chipset mainboard will only be able to get the actual AHCI supporting nForce S-ATA drivers installed, if the NVIDIA S-ATA Controllers are set to "AHCI Mode" within the BIOS before they are going to install the OS.
    Choice of the suitable driver and integration method:
    Users with a non-RAID, but AHCI capable nForce chipset system should look into the SATA_IDE folder of the unzipped nForce chipset driver package, which is suitable for their mainboard chipset. If you find there a file named TXTSETUP.OEM, you should integrate just the content of the SATA_IDE folder as textmode driver.
    Alternatively you can integrate the SATARAID folder (which always has a TXTSETUP.OEM) as textmode driver (similar to the instructions for real SataRaid systems), but in this case only the offered "NVIDIA nForce Storage Controller (required)" should be loaded during the textmode driver integration part of the nLite processing. Don't load the "NVIDIA RAID Class Driver (required)", if you don't have an nForce RAID.
    Attention: These options are only valid, if the NVIDIA RAID Controllers are disabled within the BIOS. Otherwise you have to use the "normal" SataRaid driver integration method as layed down above (SATARAID as textmode driver and SATA_IDE as PnP driver).
  • Some mainboards (for example ASUS ones) have no SATA, but only SATARAID ports. Have a look into your mainboard manual, if you have to enable SATA and RAID within your BIOS, even when you have not built a RAID array. In this case you should integrate the SATARAID folder of the suitable nForce IDE drivers and load both "NVIDIA nForce Storage Controller" and "NVIDIA RAID Class Driver" (as written above for real nForce RAID arrays).

B. Tips for users with a SATA RAID array outside the OS partition:

• Users with an nForce Sata-RAID array, who are going to install any OS onto an IDE or non-AHCI S-ATA drive, which is outside the RAID, should not integrate any nForce SataRaid drivers. They will be able to get the OS installed without any problems.
  • Once the OS is up, you should run the installer of the suitable nForce chipset driver package. After the reboot, the RAID array normally will be detected by the OS.
  • If the OS should not show the RAID device and their partitions, you should do the following:
    • Open the Device Manager and check, if you see the "NVIDIA nForce RAID Controller" within the "SCSI and RAID Controllers" section. If not, you haven't enabled the NVIDIA RAID Controllers within the BIOS.
    • If you see the "NVIDIA nForce RAID Controller", you have to open the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" section and look for the "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controllers", where your RAIDed SATA hdd's are connected to.
    • Right click onto these Controllers and do a driver software "update" until you see the compatible devices.
    • Choose the "NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controllers", if they are shown as compatible.
    • After the reboot your OS will see and will be able to work with the datas of the RAID array.

@ babuda:

What do you want to express by just quoting the whole text of my guide (first post of this thread)?

This doesn't make any sense for me and for the users.

Please edit your post and delete the quoted text.

Thanks!

Fernando

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

So I followed these directions and eventually got my DVD to boot correctly! I saw that both the sata RAID and sata IDE drivers loaded during the setup screen. Alas I still get the dreaded 0x0000007B error.

Any clues as to why. I haven't been able to ascertain exactly what driver level my nvidia chipset is - regardless of the instructions saying that the second boot screen should display it I can't seem to find it. I do know from the current Vista install on the machine that the driver loaded for the sata driver is a nForce driver (although the windows device manager info says it is version 10.something).

I've checked in my BIOS and although i only have one sata drive it does not let me change the sata mode off of RAID, so I figured I needed to do the typical install, both SATA raid and SATA ide drivers installed as textmode drivers (nLite set one as a BUSDRV type and the other as SCSIadaptor).

At this point I'm probably just going to throw some old IDE drives in as boot drives rather than trying to make this work since I'm time limited, but I'd like to know how to make it work for the future on these machines if possible.

Thanks

@ juggler314:

If you want help, you have to give some informations:

1. Which nForce chipset has your mainboard (if you don't know it, which mainboard/notebook are you using)?

2. Which OS do you want to install?

3. Which nForce IDE driver version (off which nForce chipset driver package) did you integrate?

4. Have you tried to install the OS by booting off the original MS CD without integrating or loading (F6) any drivers?

• 3 weeks later...

Fernando.

I am trying to set up a dual boot Vista/XP system.

I have failed up to this point, trying to boot to an XP CD and no floppy to add drivers (and some confusion over which drivers)

My desktop is a Gateway GT5685E, a model made for sale in a store named Costco.

It has the following

MCP73PV Motherboard.

American Megatrends Bios Vesion 2.61

3 GB Memory

Nvidia Geforce 7100 / Nvidia nForce 630i

Two Western Digital 500 GB Caviar GP Sata Drives

Vista with SP1 Installed on Drive0 & Drive1 is empty but formatted

I have slipstreamed SP2 with my XP with SP1 CD and copied it to a folder.

I have read the info on Fernando's "Integration of the NVIDIA nForce S-ATA and RAID drivers by using nLite" three

times to make sure I understand what is to be done, but I would appreciate very much if I could get verification

of a few things and get several questions answered.

-----------------------------

Verification

The following Drivers should be integrated with my CD using nLite and in TextMode

FSC_NVIDIASATARAIDF6driverdisk32BitV699_699_1013554.zip

The following Drivers should be integrated with my CD using nLite and in PNP

FSC_NVIDIASATADRIVER32BitV699_699_1013570.zip

Questions

1. Fernando says "nVRaid BIOS (=MediaShield) version of your system on the second boot screen"

I have not been able to determine my nVRaid Bios version. Does that mean literally the second screen during boot up?

I have no 2nd screen.

2. Do I also need to integrate new nVidia Viedo drivers? If so which ones?

3. What other drivers should I also integrate?

4. I do not have a Gold XP disk, and you recommend not slipstreaming SP3. If after I install XP can I then install SP3 or will that wipe out all of the previous work with the drivers that were integrated in the XP SP2 install?

Thanks in advance for the help.

I have slipstreamed SP2 with my XP with SP1 CD and copied it to a folder.
Why did you slipstream SP2? It would have been better to copy your original XP RTM or SP1 CD and slipstream SP3 by using nLite.
I have read the info on Fernando's "Integration of the NVIDIA nForce S-ATA and RAID drivers by using nLite" three

times to make sure I understand what is to be done, but I would appreciate very much if I could get verification

of a few things and get several questions answered.

-----------------------------

Verification

The following Drivers should be integrated with my CD using nLite and in TextMode

FSC_NVIDIASATARAIDF6driverdisk32BitV699_699_1013554.zip

The following Drivers should be integrated with my CD using nLite and in PNP

FSC_NVIDIASATADRIVER32BitV699_699_1013570.zip

You should not use these drivers, because your mainboard needs an AHCI supporting nForce SATA driver. Furthermore you obviously don't have a RAID array (Tip: You can check it easily by running Vista and looking into the "Storage Controllers" section of the Device Manager. If you don't see a device named "NVIDIA nForce RAID Controller", you are not running RAID).

The nForce IDE drivers v6.99 should only be taken for nForce RAID systems and nForce chipsets, which are natively not supporting AHCI.

Consequence:

You have to use an nForce IDE driver version, which is fully supporting AHCI.

Recommendation: You may take either NVIDIA's official nForce driverpack v15.24 (get it here) or the 32bit version of my "NF4-7 Performance Packs" (get it here). Unzip the package and integrate the SATA_IDE driver folder as textmode driver.

Questions

1. Fernando says "nVRaid BIOS (=MediaShield) version of your system on the second boot screen"

I have not been able to determine my nVRaid Bios version. Does that mean literally the second screen during boot up?

I have no 2nd screen.

2. Do I also need to integrate new nVidia Viedo drivers? If so which ones?

3. What other drivers should I also integrate?

4. I do not have a Gold XP disk, and you recommend not slipstreaming SP3. If after I install XP can I then install SP3 or will that wipe out all of the previous work with the drivers that were integrated in the XP SP2 install?

General advice:

Since you obviously are not running RAID (see above), the main part of my guide is not valid for you. All you need to read are the "Tips for users with a non-Raid nForce S-ATA system" within ANNEX II of my guide and especially the chapter "New and important for users with an AHCI capable mainboard".

Here are the answers to your questions:

1. Since you obviously are not running RAID, the nVRaid BIOS version of your mainboard doesn't matter at all.

2. You can, but don't need to integrate any NVIDIA video driver. If you want do it nevertheless, you may take the Display Driver you find within this official nForce chipset driver package. Unzip it by using a tool like WinRAR or 7-Zip and integrate it as PnP driver.

3. You can integrate all drivers, which are suitable for your hardware, but I do not recommend it for newbees. My tip: Integrate just the needed NVIDIA nForce SATA_IDE driver folder as textmode driver and nothing else. Once XP is up, you can install all other drivers.

4. You are wrong. The integration of SP3 into the "Gold" (=RTM) version of Windows XP is what I have recommended. So take your original Windows XP CD (without any integrated Service Pack) as source and let nLite integrate SP3 as first step of its work.

Good luck!

Fernando

Fernando,

Thank you for your help. It really is generous of you to share the knowledge you have accumulated!

I followed your Tip on looking into my Vista Device Manager under Storage Controllers and the following was listed

Microsoft iSCSI Initiator

NVIDIA nForce RAID Controller

nVidia nForce Serial ATA

I assume this means I do have a RAID controller.

I light of that, was my original post on track or should I follow your advice to use the nForce IDE driver version V15.24 or your NF4-7 Performance Pack?

Thanks again

JDFox

I followed your Tip on looking into my Vista Device Manager under Storage Controllers and the following was listed

Microsoft iSCSI Initiator

NVIDIA nForce RAID Controller

nVidia nForce Serial ATA

I assume this means I do have a RAID controller.

I didn't expext that, because you wrote, that you have only 2 hdd's, one of them with Vista and the other prepared for the XP installation. It makes no sence to enable RAID with this configuration.

Anyhow this changes my previous suggestions (unless you should set the SATA Controllers to "AHCI Mode" within the BIOS, but this would have the consequence, that you won't be able anymore to boot into your currently installed Vista).

As long as your SATA Controllers are set to "RAID" (which seems to be the case now) you have to integrate the SATARAID driver folder as TEXTMODE driver. It is not necessary to additionally integrate the SATA_IDE driver folder as PnP driver.

I light of that, was my original post on track or should I follow your advice to use the nForce IDE driver version V15.24 or your NF4-7 Performance Pack?
You can take them both. If you take my "Performance Pack", you might get a better performance.

Fernando, you are obviously the genious when it comes to loading the necessary nvidia drivers for downgrading to XP. I have a Dell XPS 720 with one 500GB SATA drive. Apparently according to Dell I have the nForce 6 chipset in particular nforce680iSLI. My problem is like all the others on this post. I have called Dell numerous times and have worked with them endlessly, they finally told me that it couldn't be done because I had upgrade the BIOS to the recent level. Well tonight its running XP and all thanks to you! :thumbup:thumbup

Edited by wizard40

Fernando,

I have failed to get XP to installed

Using nLite I integrated the Sata drivers from the Sataraid folder in TextMode from your NF4-7 Powerpack

Burned a new disk.

After the loading of Setup info and the EULA I do not have a HD Disk to install on

I get 4 of the following

Unknown Disk

(There is no disk in this drive)

Which I assume are my USB ports.

Next using nLite I integrated the IDE drivers from the Sata_IDE folder in TextMode from your NF4-7 Powerpack

I got the same result (NO HD seen and 4 Unknown Disk)

I repeated the above by Integerating with PnP instead of TextMode, but got the same result.

Additional BIOS info.

The "Sata Mode Select" option shows [Raid Mode] but is grayed out and can not be changed.

When I drill down from the "nVidia RAID Setup" option, I go to a screen that has

SATA1 [Disabled]

SATA2 [Disabled]

SATA3 [Disabled]

SATA4 [Disabled]

I changed SATA2 to Enabled, saved and rebooted. (SATA2 is the target Drive for XP, SATA1 has Vista on it)

During the reboot I now had an option to press F9 to go to the MediaShield setup screen. I did, but did

not change anything as I did not know what to change and was worried I might lose Vista.

When I did re boot into Vista I went to Computer>Manage>Disk Management and the 2nd Hard Drive was no longer visible.

Do you have anymore suggestions as to what I can try next, or see what mistakes I'm making?

Once again, thanks for your help.

Jerry Fox