Integration of NVIDIA's nForce RAID and AHCI drivers

Fernando 1

OOOOHHHHHHH CRAPPPPP!!!!!!!

This entire time, I think I've been applying all the nLite changes to the same source folder. I've done 6 cd's which all failed....all using the same source files...****.....maybe something to add to your guide?

I will do that.
EDIT: install worked fine. now i know at least. thanks for all your help fernando!
You are welcome.

Fine, that you succeeded at least.

CU

Fernando

I'm confused on what to do at this point. I have tried 5 nlite discs unsuccessfully. Currently, I'm running on a 5 sata disc in raid array 0. I am trying to reformat with nLite by adding on the drivers. I recently took out my floppy disc drive because it failed.

Here is my system.

mobo: m2n-sli deluxe

NF: NF570sli

My raid array is currently active and healthy. When i boot up the nlite disc I continually get an error that windows XP installation can not see my hard drives in the raid array 0. I have tried the following drivers:

Download Fernandos XP 32bit NF4-5 non-AHCI WHQL Driverpack v3.0.zip

NVIDIA SATA RAID F6 driverdisk 32 Bit V6.99

As well as raid drivers from nvidia's website.

This process has worked for me when i used a floppy to load the drivers instead of nLite. I have tried only loading the nvidia raid drivers and NOT the nvidia IDE drivers, but no success. I have not tried loading the nvidia raid drivers one by one, i will load them both together.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

@ Bubs:

If your RAID was detected by using the F6/floppy method, you will succeed with nLite by integrating the same drivers.

Are you sure, that you took the same drivers?

Have you enabled both "required" devices/drivers?

Current version of my "Nvidia nforce 590/570/550 Serial ATA Controller" is 5.10.2600.666. I no longer have these same drivers available (or know what i used) from the last time I installed via floppy disc. So therefore the driver(s) I have been using are NOT the same drivers i used before.

Have you enabled both "required" devices/drivers?

I'll assume you're referring to adding the two drivers in text mode in the nLite program. Yes, I have added

"NVIDIA nForce storage Controller (required)"

"NVIDIA RAID CLASS DRIVER (required)"

I cannot load these two drivers one by one, only together. Am using nLite 1.4.8

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update:

Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe NF470SLI AM2

AMD A64 X2 5600 2.8 AM2 2X1M (Overclocked 10%)

1Gx2 Corsair 6400

5xHDD 320GB using RAID 0 on the Nvidia 570 controller

Using Mediashield Rom Bios 6.73.

Bios has Raid controller enabled, and all SATA slots enabled, JMicron Raid is disabled (do not have any HDD's in them anyways)

Tried using the drivers from the motherboard CD, failed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's my exact process:

1. Load up nLite, with legal windows xp pro cd inserted in cd-rom.

2. Extract windows xp pro files to a destination folder, press next twice.

3. Go to drivers menu, insert files by this process:

- Files have been downloaded and extracted to a directory

- Raid drivers have three subfolders ( Ethernet, IDE, SMBus)

I go to IDE > WINXP > sataraid > "nvraid.inf", i am given an option now to stay at default (loading two files mentioned above) in textmode.

4. Press back, then select "Bootable ISO"

5. Change menu to Direct Burn, start burn.

Edited by Bubs

Just a heads up. On using standard sata in native mode on amd/ati mainboards. Ati has amd pci ide sata controller for 32/64bit in their vista x64 southbridge driver, that works at least for me on xp 64bit.

They do not pack the same driver with the xp x64 southbridge driver. Latest version is 8-8_vista32-64_sb_67983.exe (20738kb), 8-8_xp32-64_sb_67979.exe is just 5208KB, so its sizeable difference.

The vistax64 package also contains the ngio 3g or whats it name, filter driver for pci-express port, which requires visual basic 2005+ to be working i think. The vistax64 driver contains that i believe+2008 version.

Current version of my "Nvidia nforce 590/570/550 Serial ATA Controller" is 5.10.2600.666. I no longer have these same drivers available (or know what i used) from the last time I installed via floppy disc. So therefore the driver(s) I have been using are NOT the same drivers i used before.
The nForce IDE drivers v6.66 are part of NVIDIA's official nForce chipset driverpack 9.16.
Bios has Raid controller enabled, and all SATA slots enabled
Is your RAID shown as "healthy" and set as bootable within the nVRAID BIOS Utility?
Here's my exact process:

1. Load up nLite, with legal windows xp pro cd inserted in cd-rom.

2. Extract windows xp pro files to a destination folder, press next twice.

3. Go to drivers menu, insert files by this process:

- Files have been downloaded and extracted to a directory

- Raid drivers have three subfolders ( Ethernet, IDE, SMBus)

I go to IDE > WINXP > sataraid > "nvraid.inf", i am given an option now to stay at default (loading two files mentioned above) in textmode.

4. Press back, then select "Bootable ISO"

5. Change menu to Direct Burn, start burn.

Have you tried to additionally load the SATA_IDE driver folder (as PnP driver)?
Just a heads up. On using standard sata in native mode on amd/ati mainboards. Ati has amd pci ide sata controller for 32/64bit in their vista x64 southbridge driver, that works at least for me on xp 64bit.

They do not pack the same driver with the xp x64 southbridge driver. Latest version is 8-8_vista32-64_sb_67983.exe (20738kb), 8-8_xp32-64_sb_67979.exe is just 5208KB, so its sizeable difference.

The vistax64 package also contains the ngio 3g or whats it name, filter driver for pci-express port, which requires visual basic 2005+ to be working i think. The vistax64 driver contains that i believe+2008 version.

I don't understand the sense of your post.

The topic here is the integration of the NVIDIA nForce S-ATA and RAID drivers, S-ATA and RAID drivers delivered by AMD/ATI do not work with nForce chipset mainboards.

Yes, raid is listed as healthy on boot up.

Yes, i just tried putting the raid_ide driver on as well, no success.

Would like to note, that i do not see windows load any of the drivers at the bottom of the screen when running the drivers i placed on the CD through nLite.

Would like to note, that i do not see windows load any of the drivers at the bottom of the screen when running the drivers i placed on the CD through nLite.
Look into the i386 folder of your nLited CD.

Do you see files named "NVRAID.SY_" and "NVATA.SY_"?

No i do not, however when i run nLite and load the drivers the file size of the CD increases.
It seems, that you either did not take an original (=untouched) XP CD as source (without loading any last_session.ini file) or did not integrate the nForce SATARAID folder as TEXTMODE driver.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Fernando,

Please accept my sincerest appreciation for your post on integration of NVIDIA nForce RAID and SATA drivers. We recently bought a refurbished Dell XPS 720 running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 with a 320-GB Seagate Barracuda HD. We installed a second identical HD and I foolishly thought the instructions in the XPS manual would allow me to reinstall the OS onto a RAID1 array. I tried it without "doing my homework" and succeeded only in rendering the machine inoperative. After scouring the Web for days trying to find a solution, I came across your post and I'm delighted to say it worked. However, I have a sort of followup question: I went to the file archive you pointed at and downloaded your zipped archives of the appropriate drivers. However, it seems to me that I used only a few files from the whole package. What are all the other files for, and should I have done something else with them?

Yours,

MAFinOKC

Oklahoma

I have a sort of followup question: I went to the file archive you pointed at and downloaded your zipped archives of the appropriate drivers. However, it seems to me that I used only a few files from the whole package. What are all the other files for, and should I have done something else with them?
Hello MAFinOKC,

thanks for your feedback.

Although I am not sure, that I did understand your question, I will try to answer:

Unfortunately users can't download simply the needed nForce SataRaid textmode drivers from NVIDIA's websites. They have to download the complete nForce chipset driver package. These driverpacks may contain nForce drivers, which are not needed by the user and drivers, which nobody would integrate. Furthermore the nForce chipset driverpacks usually contain tools (RAIDTOOL and NAM), which only a few users will need or want to install.

CU

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

Hey Fernando, I need some help, and I registered for this reason alone, I'm sick of Vista's performance crap, so I'm moving back to my s2k3, as it's blazing fast. I have a nVidia 8200 chipset, and I already have the drivers, I've tried all this integration stuff over 8 times, that's writing and rewriting dvd-rw's and cd-rw's. It's getting annoying, I don't wish to be insulting or rude, but your instructions are very unclear, one paragraph you state a MS IDE driver suppression, which is my main problem, since I can never get past the final hardware detection part of the installation, but in the rest of the instructions, you never mention it again. So, therefore I do not know how to bypass this problem.

Could you teach me how I could go about installing/integrating these drivers through nLite, so I can suppress the MS IDE drivers? As I've said, this is my main problem, as the hardware installation section works fine through and through, but when I restart I get the dreaded STOP errors which are obviously associated with mainly drivers in this scenario.

I have a SATA IDE system. No RAID as far as I know.

Thanks a billion in advance.

@ fgb:

Welcome at MSFN Forums!

Here is my reply:

1. My guide is intended for users, who want to integrate the nForce RAID drivers. Since you don't have a RAID system, you won't find much help within my guide to solve your problem.

2. nLite has a built-in "MS IDE driver suppression", which makes it possible to get even unsigned nForce S-ATA drivers installed. Since this method is already incorporated into nLite, the user has nothing to do. That is why you don't find any instructions within my guide about how to suppress the generic MS IDE drivers.

3. Since you obviously are not using your S-ATA Controllers in "AHCI mode" (BIOS settings will be "IDE mode"), you don't need to integrate any nForce textmode driver.

4. If you want to use the nForce S-ATA driver instead of the generic MS IDE drivers, you have to integrate the suitable SATA_IDE subfolder as PnP driver.

Unfortunately your post doesn't contain informations, which are needed to help you:

1. Which nForce driver package version did you use?
  2. Which nForce IDE driver subfolder (SATA_IDE or SATARAID) did you integrate?
  3. Which integration mode did you use (TEXTMODE or PnP)?
  4. Are you running your nForce S-ATA Controllers in "AHCI mode" (according your mainboard BIOS settings)?