Integration of NVIDIA's nForce RAID and AHCI drivers

Fernando 1

@ haccess:

All your problems are related to the nForce RAID driver v10.3.0.21 as part of the official 15.17 package. Due to the fact, that this driver cannot be used with nForce4 RAID systems, NVIDIA has pulled the 15.17/15.18 packs from their global websites some weeks ago.

I doubt, that you will be able to solve your problem by using the Repair Console of a freshly created XP CD. What you can do is a fresh XP install onto the same partition where you installed it previously. This way you might be able to use some of your old settings and programs.

Nevertheless I recommend to backup the important files of your XP partition from within Vista and then do a fresh install of Windows XP by using your just created XP CD with integrated nForce SataRaid drivers v6.99.

Hi Fernando,

Firstly thank you very much for all your time spent on this problem, if it weren't for you there would be many, many stuck people out there.

I've read through your entire guide and have tried all the relevant methods, including the 'last chance legacy' one. I'm on my 5th attempt CD so far but all are ending in BSoD 0xC2 or in the case of the last one 0x19. My system details:

XP SP2 Pro (Slipstreamed to SP3)

nLite 1.4.7

Asus A8N-SLI Premium (BIOS 1302)

-http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=15&l3=148&l4=0&model=539&modelmenu=1

-939 Socket

-nForce4 SLI AMD

-Silicon RAID controller disabled

nVRAID BIOS 4.84

2 x 74GB WD Raptors in RAID0 (Healthy and bootable)

Tried all drivers in your guide using the links provided.

I'm completely lost now, I don't know what to try next. Any suggestions?

Thanks heaps.

Hello everyone,

I'm a new poster, but believe me, I've studying this thread vigorously these past 4-5 days.

I finally FINALLY got my slipstreamed windows xp 64. I took me several days, but I want to post exactly how I fixed my several problems.

Problem: I do not have a floppy drive, and I am not gonna pay $40 for a USB floppy drive that I will only use once. I have a sata raid 0 setup. I have the raid drivers on USB stick. One option was to use the BIOS to emulate the floppy drive. It worked ok on the F6 part, but later in the installation, it asks for the raid drivers again to be put into A: drive. The USB didn't seem to emulate the floppy drive at this point. I tried making USB bootable. I tried different programs to convert the USB into an A: drive. Nothing seemed to work. (VERY FRUSTRATING) So, I tried slipstreaming instead...

TIPS:

1) Do NOT used CD-RW. I burned the slipstreamed version several times onto the same cd-rw. Each time, it wouldn't boot. Once it did boot (i don't know how) and started windows setup, however I got an error saying something about the sata driver file (setup.c --or something of that sort) could not load and just terminated. Also when I tried to use cd-rw, it could never verify the data, but always said "burned successfully" :rollseyes: Use a CD-R to burn your image.

2) If using NERO to burn the image, do NOT select BOOT(CD-ROM) as the template to use. I never got the cd to start windows setup with this template. Use the File->Burn Image.

3) This whole tutorial is based on nForce drivers. Now I was getting really, really confused because my motherboard (and its documentation) have GeForce (8200 to be exact) chipset and shows the GeForce as the Raid controller (is that even possible?) and I was trying to find the relation between nForce and GeForce. Is it the same thing? Do I used nForce drivers? I used the RAID drivers from my motherboard's website which are exactly the same names this tutorial uses. Everything works ok. So I'm guessing people in my situation wondering whether this can be used for GeForce 8200 chipset, yes it can.

So yea, that is about it. I did a lot of trial and error and it finally worked! I hope that anyone else in my situation will read this and avoid lots of lost hours trying to find the correct method and solution.

Thanks fernando for the guide!!!

Oh yea, btw, I used 2x2GB ram and it installed ok for windows xp 64.

Edited by one_time_poster

3) This whole tutorial is based on nForce drivers. Now I was getting really, really confused because my motherboard (and its documentation) have GeForce (8200 to be exact) chipset and shows the GeForce as the Raid controller (is that even possible?) and I was trying to find the relation between nForce and GeForce. Is it the same thing? Do I used nForce drivers?.

The GeForce 8200 chipset uses the nForce drivers, but it will show up as GeForce. I had the same issue with another computer. Glad you got it working. I'm sure you've figured out to include both the F6 drivers and the nForce windows drivers. If not, try that next time you slipstream your drivers.

I'm sure you've figured out to include both the F6 drivers and the nForce windows drivers.
What do you mean with "nForce Windows drivers" and why do you separate them from the "F6 drivers"?

All F6 drivers are "Windows drivers" as well.

@ LlamaLlamaLamp:

You should succeed with the installation as all the others too.

What about your memory?

Did you test it with memtest?

Do you have more than 2 GB installed?

Memory tested by Memtest and Memtest+ using the UBCD 4.1.1.

2GB memory - Corsair TwinX2048-3200C2PT (2 x 1GB sticks)

Thanks for your help...got a paypal account for donations? :yes:

@ LlamaLlamaLamp:

You should succeed with the installation as all the others too.

What about your memory?

Did you test it with memtest?

Do you have more than 2 GB installed?

Memory tested by Memtest and Memtest+ using the UBCD 4.1.1.

2GB memory - Corsair TwinX2048-3200C2PT (2 x 1GB sticks)

Thanks for your reply.

Here are some further questions:

a ) Which results did you get while running the memtests?

b ) Have you checked your S-ATA cables?

c ) Is your PSU ok?

Furthermore you should explain what happened during the XP installation:

a ) Did the OS Setup detect your RAID?

b ) At which point failed the installation?

c ) Which error message did you get exactly?

Thanks for your reply.

Here are some further questions:

a ) Which results did you get while running the memtests?

b ) Have you checked your S-ATA cables?

c ) Is your PSU ok?

Furthermore you should explain what happened during the XP installation:

a ) Did the OS Setup detect your RAID?

b ) At which point failed the installation?

c ) Which error message did you get exactly?

a) on both Memtest86 v3.3 and Memtest86+ v1.7 the RAM passed all tests continuously.

B) I'm sure the SATA cables are fine as I used to use them, but I'll swap them over with some new ones now

c) PSU should be fine, I've stress tested it recently with no problems

Installation wise:

a) Setup did detect the RAID and was able create a partion and do a full format. (Also there is no other HDD connected at this point)

B) Install fails after it's final restart.

i.e.: 1. Blue screen install where you select partition, format and copy over install files

2. GUI install with tasks on the lefthand side and where it would ask for network settings, CD key, timezone, etc (thats all automated though because i've entered all that info in the answer file using nLite)

3. After GUI section, the computer restarts, shows the Windows Logo on the black screen with the progress bar, then a low resolution, light blue background with a cursor, then blue screens

c) I always get the following BSoD (last three variables may change, but the first is usually 0x7):

BAD_POOL_CALLER

0x000000C2 (0x00000007, 0x00000CD4, 0x00000000, 0xE1600004)

Hope this helps. I really appreciate your help.

c) I always get the following BSoD (last three variables may change, but the first is usually 0x7):

BAD_POOL_CALLER

0x000000C2 (0x00000007, 0x00000CD4, 0x00000000, 0xE1600004)

The 0x000000C2 error message indicates a bad driver.

This is what I suggest:

1. Take the original (=untouched) XP CD as source and create a new XP CD with integrated WHQL signed nForce SataRaid drivers by using nLite.

2. Integrate just the SATARAID drivers v6.99 (as TEXTMODE) and the SATA_IDE drivers v6.99 (as PnP drivers), don't integeate any other drivers.

3. Let nLite create the Image file and burn it.

4. Install Windows XP and report here, if you succeeded.

Good luck!

Fernando

Again, thanks for your reply.

I shall try that now. Just to clarify things, I'm going to list the steps I take:

After extracting the drivers located at: http://support.fujitsu-siemens.com/Downloa...6F-90E4288C5AF9 and http://support.fujitsu-siemens.com/Downloa...55-84AEEC7AD91F

1. Run nLite, choose location of XP files (in this instance, its a XP Pro OEM SP2 disc, slipstreamed with SP3) - I'll try with a XP Pro OEM SP2 disc after this.

2. Choose only 'Integrate Drivers' and 'Create Bootable Disc'

3. Select 'Insert' > Single Driver and specify the .inf file in "FSC_NVIDIASATARAIDF6driverdisk32BitV699_699_1013554\NVIDIA_SATA_RAID_F6_DRIVERDISK_32BIT_V6.99_MCP51_MCP55" and select TEXTMODE and click 'Ok'. ----Two drivers are added to the list with modes: TXT - BUSDRV and TXT - RAIDCLASS

4. Select 'Insert' > Single Driver and specify the .inf file in "FSC_NVIDIASATADRIVER32BitV699_699_1013570\NVIDIA_SATA_DRIVER_32BIT_V6.99_MCP51_MCP55" - nLite automatically adds that driver PNP mode and HDC type.

5. Leave 'Delete after install' unticked and click next.

6. Click 'Yes' to start the process

7. Burn CD with Boot sector left as default

I'll let you know how I go. Thanks again for your help.

Fail.

Same thing, but this time I got a different BSoD. I have seen it once before though when I tried the 'if all else fails' method.

BAD_POOL_HEADER

STOP 0x00000019 (0x00000020, 0xE113FFFC, 0xE1140BBC, 0x897841B0)

I'll try now using just my XP Pro OEM SP2 disc, but I don't think I'm going to be able to get my hands on an original, untouched XP disc.

Is there any other way to get the nVidia RAID controller working without slipstreaming? At the very least, just to test. The F6 method doesn't work right? I'm sure I've tried it before....I think....

I'll try now using just my XP Pro OEM SP2 disc, but I don't think I'm going to be able to get my hands on an original, untouched XP disc.
Does that mean, that you didn't use a clean (=untouched) Windows XP as source? That would have been a big mistake!

Why do you think, that a Windows XP Pro OEM SP2 CD is not an original one?

Is there any other way to get the nVidia RAID controller working without slipstreaming? At the very least, just to test. The F6 method doesn't work right? I'm sure I've tried it before....I think....
You will probably be able to do the F6/floppy method, if you do the following:

1. Download one of the old nForce chipset driver packages (english or international version) you get here: ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/nForce/standalone/6.53/

2. Extract it and copy the content of the IDE\WinXP folder except the subfolder named "raidtool" onto a floppy disk.

3. When prompted, load the floppy drivers after hitting F6. You have to load the drivers twice.

Edited by Fernando 1

Does that mean, that you didn't use a clean (=untouched) Windows XP as source? That would have been a big mistake!

Why do you think, that a Windows XP Pro OEM SP2 CD is not an original one?

lol, well I had used the OEM SP2 disc to slipstream SP3 into it and those were the only changes I had made. I (stupidly) assumed it wouldnt have made a big enough change to affect it. And in that respect, I would have assumed that the change would have been (almost) the same as an OEM SP2 disc compared to a 'gold' disc.

The 'pure' disc has just finished burning now. will let you know.

OOOOHHHHHHH CRAPPPPP!!!!!!!

Answer me one thing: Everytime I use nLite and specify my source files folder.....does nLite apply those changes to those files?

Your going to say yes aren't you because I just realised it does it's 'creation' first and then prompts to create an image or burn it to a cd......FUUUUU****!!*!*!*KKKKK!! I am such a twat.

This entire time, I think I've been applying all the nLite changes to the same source folder. I've done 6 cd's which all failed....all using the same source files...****.....maybe something to add to your guide?

I'll confirm my monumental cock up once I successfully see a desktop. :unsure:

EDIT: yes. I'm an id***. install worked fine. now i know at least. thanks for all your help fernando!

Edited by LlamaLlamaLamp