Integration of NVIDIA's nForce RAID and AHCI drivers

Fernando 1

This is link for my matherboard

http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Motherbo...?ProductID=1644

I have 4 HDD two 200GB IDE i did RAID and this Vista see and two 500GB SATA II but i can not do RAID so too big for my SATA BIOS and thisone vista do not see.

Fernando when you help ne please i will very glad.

I am sorry, but I cannot help you.

Since your motherboard has an nForce2 chipset and NVIDIA didn't develop any Vista nForce IDE drivers, which are supporting nForce2 RAID systems, you will not be able to run Vista with an nForce RAID system.

Vista is not a useful OS for your hardware configuration.

CU

Fernando

• 3 weeks later...

Just upgraded my main computer to a E8400/P35-DS3R, so I'm trying to get RAID5 working on my old DFI NF4 Ultra-D mobo with Windows 2003 32bit for server duty. I'm not installing on the RAID5 array, so I initially just installed the drivers created the array, and then booted into windows. I was able to get the raidtool to install, and the Nvidia SATA RAID controller driver installed, however whenever I look at drive manager, it sees 3 drives. Also the Nvidia RAID tool doesn't see any arrays. In my bios it says the array is healthy. I tried slipstreaming the drivers like mentioned here but without success. I slipstreamed your v1.8 XP drivers into my install CD. Any suggestions? I just can't seem to get Windows 2003 to see the array, the RAID bios says 1.36 TB RAID5 Healthy.

Edited by badkarma

Just upgraded my main computer to a E8400/P35-DS3R, so I'm trying to get RAID5 working on my old DFI NF4 Ultra-D mobo with Windows 2003 32bit for server duty. I'm not installing on the RAID5 array, so I initially just installed the drivers created the array, and then booted into windows. I was able to get the raidtool to install, and the Nvidia SATA RAID controller driver installed, however whenever I look at drive manager, it sees 3 drives. Also the Nvidia RAID tool doesn't see any arrays. In my bios it says the array is healthy. I tried slipstreaming the drivers like mentioned here but without success. I slipstreamed your v1.8 XP drivers into my install CD. Any suggestions? I just can't seem to get Windows 2003 to see the array, the RAID bios says 1.36 TB RAID5 Healthy.
If you don't install the OS onto a RAID partition, the OS Setup won't automaticly install the needed nForce S-ATA driver.

Solution:

Open the Device Manager and check within the "SCSI and RAID Controllers" section, if the "NVIDIA nForce RAID Controller" is correctly installed (by using the nForce RAID driver).

If yes, do the following:

1. Open the "IDE/ATAPI Controllers" section of the Device Manager. You will see a lot of devices named "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller".

2. Check, which of them is managing your natively IDE connected devices (for example CD-ROM/DVD).

3. Right-click onto all other "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controllers" - one after the other - and let the Device Manager show all compatible devices ("Update Driver Software" > "Browse my computer ...." > "Let me pick ...."). Choose the listed "NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller".

4. After having replaced all "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controllers" by the "NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller" (UNLESSS the one, where your natively IDE devices are connected), you can reboot.

Now your RAID array should be correctly detected by your OS.

Good luck!

Fernando

if you don't install the OS onto a RAID partition, the OS Setup won't automaticly install the needed nForce S-ATA driver.

Solution:

Open the Device Manager and check within the "SCSI and RAID Controllers" section, if the "NVIDIA nForce RAID Controller" is correctly installed (by using the nForce RAID driver).

If yes, do the following:

1. Open the "IDE/ATAPI Controllers" section of the Device Manager. You will see a lot of devices named "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller".

2. Check, which of them is managing your natively IDE connected devices (for example CD-ROM/DVD).

3. Right-click onto all other "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controllers" - one after the other - and let the Device Manager show all compatible devices ("Update Driver Software" > "Browse my computer ...." > "Let me pick ...."). Choose the listed "NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller".

4. After having replaced all "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controllers" by the "NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller" (UNLESSS the one, where your natively IDE devices are connected), you can reboot.

Now your RAID array should be correctly detected by your OS.

Good luck!

Fernando

Thanks Fernando but it didn't seem to work. I only have 1 "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller". I tried to use "Nvidia nforce Seral ATA Controller" driver but when I rebooted the device is unable to start and no RAID in OS.

Thanks Fernando but it didn't seem to work. I only have 1 "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller". I tried to use "Nvidia nforce Seral ATA Controller" driver but when I rebooted the device is unable to start and no RAID in OS.
Look into the "SCSI and RAID Controllers" section.

Which devices are listed there?

NVIDIA nForce RAID Controller only

See attached screenshot.

post-189741-1209893133_thumb.jpg

NVIDIA nForce RAID Controller only

See attached screenshot.

Thanks for the reply and the Device Manager screenshot. As far as I can see everything seems to be fine.

What sort is that "unknown device"? Please try to find out the HardwareID of this device (> right-click onto the device > "Properties" > "Details")

Thanks for the reply and the Device Manager screenshot. As far as I can see everything seems to be fine.

What sort is that "unknown device"? Please try to find out the HardwareID of this device (> right-click onto the device > "Properties" > "Details")

ACPI\PNP0510

*PNP0510

I haven't been able to figure out what this is. Whenever I tried to manually install driver sfor it it never works.

Thanks for the help Fernando.

ACPI\PNP0510

*PNP0510

I haven't been able to figure out what this is. Whenever I tried to manually install driver sfor it it never works.

I think, that it is the infrared device, which you obviously have removed by nLite. The missing MS drivers are named irsir.sys and serial.sys.

Now back to your RAID5 issue:

Since I had the same mainboard, I doubt, that the DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra-D is fully supporting nForce RAID5. That is probably the reason why your RAID hasn't been detected by the OS.

ACPI\PNP0510

*PNP0510

I think, that it is the infrared device, which you obviously have removed by nLite. The missing MS drivers are named irsir.sys and serial.sys.

Now back to your RAID5 issue:

Since I had the same mainboard, I doubt, that the DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra-D is fully supporting nForce RAID5. That is probably the reason why your RAID hasn't been detected by the OS.

Dang, you're right. I just checked the specs and RAID5 isn't listed. I wonder if the pencil mod to make the Ultra-D an SLI-D adds RAID5 functionality.

Dang, you're right. I just checked the specs and RAID5 isn't listed. I wonder if the pencil mod to make the Ultra-D an SLI-D adds RAID5 functionality.
Ok, then we have detected at least the reason for your problem.

RAID5 is only supported by newer mainboards.

Hi all,

I hoped this forum would help me solve my raid problem but it seems to be trickier than I thought.

I've been trying to install XP on a SATA raid array with no success so far.

In a nutshell:

I created a CD as described by Fernando

Windows installs normally on one of the disks (NO RAID mode)

but as soon the disks are mounted as a RAID array, XP installs but endlessly reboots before GUI mode

In detail:

What I've done:

- install CD = XP PRO SP3 rev 5512 + Nvidia nForce 430 latest version found on NVIDIA website (included /SATARAID + /SATA_IDE)

- used latest nLite version

- PC BIOS updated to latest revision (Media shield v 6.50)

- Array created, bootable and healthy

- removed all unnecessary hardware : all PCI cards, CD and DVD drives, floppy, even keyboard and mouse (this is cuz i read that reboot at mup.sys was a hardware-related problem)

- set all BIOS settings to default (except raid of course)

What works:

- the installation CD seems correct; when I do a NO RAID install, the drivers are correctly installed in windows even if shown as not digitally signed. Everything works well.

What doesn't work:

install with the same CD on a RAID: windows installs normally, seems to boots, but reboots

in safe mode rebbot occurs right after displaying mup.sys

i get no blue screen or error code, just a reboot.

My Hardware:

ASUS M2NPV-VM

disks: Seagate ST160811AS + ST160815AS (exact same capacity)

Conclusion:

My understanding is that it is clearly a RAID - related problem because:

- the CD is correct

- everything goes fine when not in RAID mode

The raid array can be read/written by windows (it installs on it). But i don"t understand why the system reboots as the drivers are correctly installed (at least i think so)

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? thanks!

Edited by Kuzco

@ Kuzco:

1. It is never a good idea to have different MBR's on the used hdd's. You got them by trying to install XP onto one of your hdd's (without RAID) and then onto the RAID.

Solution: You should create the RAID by using 2 absolutely clean hdd's. Use the Seagate Tool to low format both hdd's.

2. You should know the error message why you get the endless reboots at the end iof the installation.

Solution: Hit F8 while booting and choose the option "Don't reboot at system failure".

I created a CD as described by Fernando

Windows installs normally on one of the disks (NO RAID mode)

but as soon the disks are mounted as a RAID array, XP installs but endlessly reboots before GUI mode

Didn't you even come to the point, where the Setup shows your hard disk(s) with their partitions and you have to decide where you want to get XP installed?

@ Kuzco:

1. It is never a good idea to have different MBR's on the used hdd's. You got them by trying to install XP onto one of your hdd's (without RAID) and then onto the RAID.

Solution: You should create the RAID by using 2 absolutely clean hdd's. Use the Seagate Tool to low format both hdd's.

2. You should know the error message why you get the endless reboots at the end iof the installation.

Solution: Hit F8 while booting and choose the option "Don't reboot at system failure".

Oh my god, well i guess i'll do just that... and i'll keep you posted

Didn't you even come to the point, where the Setup shows your hard disk(s) with their partitions and you have to decide where you want to get XP installed?

Hmm yess when the disks are not mounted in an array I get two choices.

Thank you for your light-speed reply :)

@ Kuzco:

Oh my god, well i guess i'll do just that... and i'll keep you posted

Hmm yess when the disks are not mounted in an array I get two choices.

Thank you for your light-speed reply :)

Ok actually I just :

- quick-zeroed the two disks with DiscWizard from Seagate to remove all partition information (for that I used Ultimate boot CD)

- slipstreamed an older Windows XP installation disk (SP2) the way you described with the adequate Nvidia drivers (not only the raid ones but also SMBus and Ethernet)

and it worked juste fine!

I don't know which step made things work , but I suspect the fact that my SP3 installation CD be already tuned was the origin of my problems.

Thank you again for you help!