Integration of NVIDIA's nForce RAID and AHCI drivers

Fernando 1

I really appreciate your prompt reply.

The endless reboot occurs at the first reboot, with the wait 15 seconds before reboot screen. Upon rebooting, it returns to the very beginning of setup. After loading the drivers from the SATARAID folder within the MCP61 subdirectory, I burned an XP Pro SP2 disk. I get the same problem - the computer runs through the initial copying of files for setup. Then it says it will reboot after 15 seconds, etc. etc... After rebooting it goes right back to the start of setup (asking for F6, repair, etc...). In short, it didn't work.

I've read elsewhere that I need to enable RAID in my BIOS, but I can't seem to find it. I can look at both of the harddrives, but I think they're controlled by IDE. The only mention of SATA I can find is in the advanced tab is enabling the PATA/SATA drivers. Should these all be enabled here?

Thanks

Jeff

The endless reboot occurs at the first reboot, with the wait 15 seconds before reboot screen.
So you came to the point where you have to decide, where you want to get the OS installed.

Is this correct? If yes, have your hdd(s) and their partitions been correctly detected?

Upon rebooting, it returns to the very beginning of setup.
Did you hit a key when prompted while rebooting? You should not do that. Hitting a key only makes sense during the first boot off the CD/DVD.
I've read elsewhere that I need to enable RAID in my BIOS, but I can't seem to find it. I can look at both of the harddrives, but I think they're controlled by IDE. The only mention of SATA I can find is in the advanced tab is enabling the PATA/SATA drivers. Should these all be enabled here?
You certainly mean drives and not "drivers". Yes, the nForce S-ATA Controllers, where your S-ATA hdd's are connected, should be enabled within BIOS, otherwise your hdd's won't be detected at all by any OS you want to install.

I don't believe, that you have to enable RAID too, since you obviously haven't built a RAID array. Nevertheless you should have look into your mainboard/pc manual.

Edited by Fernando 1

Both hard drives have been detected by setup. Since I've tried to install WinXP on both drives, they both say that I have a previous version of windows already on the drive, and then asks if I want to format the drive or not.

The rebooting process usually takes place by itself... although it prompts you to hit enter or wait the 15 seconds out.

The computer was bought as a display model, and thus have no included documentation, manuals or disks... I made the blunder of deleting the recovery partition and am currently making a Vista reinstall disk. I have a licensed XP Pro installation, but that is not working as I would like it to.

Both hard drives have been detected by setup. Since I've tried to install WinXP on both drives, they both say that I have a previous version of windows already on the drive, and then asks if I want to format the drive or not.
OK, in this case the discussion about missing or wrong BIOS settings seems to be obsolete.

You probably have set the optical drive (CD/DVD-ROM) as first bootable device and the HDD as second one, haven't you?

The rebooting process usually takes place by itself... although it prompts you to hit enter or wait the 15 seconds out.
Yes,but you may not hit any key while rebooting.
The computer was bought as a display model, and thus have no included documentation, manuals or disks... I made the blunder of deleting the recovery partition and am currently making a Vista reinstall disk. I have a licensed XP Pro installation, but that is not working as I would like it to.
So you think, that your XP source is not ok? That would be an explanation for the strange behaviour of the Setup process. Edited by Fernando 1

I say it's not working as I'd like it to because the nForce 430 drivers aren't working. I've spent the last two days working over this and I don't think I can resolve the problem here. I will probably end up installing Vista Business and hope for compatability between the clinical software that I need to use on this machine.

Thank you very much for your time, keep up the good work

I say it's not working as I'd like it to because the nForce 430 drivers aren't working. I've spent the last two days working over this and I don't think I can resolve the problem here. I will probably end up installing Vista Business and hope for compatability between the clinical software that I need to use on this machine.
Have you tried any other nForce chipset drivers than those of NVIDIA's 11.09 pack? If not, you may have a look here.

Fernando,

Thanks for the writeup, but I REALLY need your help.

I am upgrading someone's computer to an ECS 6100SM-M Nforce 405 motherboard and AMD 4400 Processor, 2 gigs ram. I have no other hardware installed, using the onboard video. Windows XP home.

I ghosted the original harddrive (WD80gig PATA) to a 500 gig SATA Maxtor. I go to do the repair from the XP CD and it loads everything, reboots, the windows splash screen shows up for a few seconds and blue screens. It does not make it through the first reboot and does not go into the windows installation screen with the bullet points.

I have tried so many combinations of NLite installation cd's but I get the same result. I am not sure if I am doing something wrong. I make a new folder with the XP cd contents and copy everything over. I run NLite and add the single driver, in textmode. I've tried this with several different versions of the drivers but none seem to work. I've downloaded ones from ECS, NVidia, and the legacy ones you linked.

I have done a clean install on the same hard drive with the same hardware with no problems. I tried to do a repair on the original PATA drive on the new mobo and it does not work either. It blue screens at the same place.

Can you tell me exactly which drivers (version) to incorporate into NLite with respect to my system specs?

I have spent hours and hours on this and am about to go crazy. I am about to go buy a new non nvidia mobo at this point. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by calixguy18

I am upgrading someone's computer to an ECS 6100SM-M Nforce 405 motherboard and AMD 4400 Processor, 2 gigs ram. I have no other hardware installed, using the onboard video. Windows XP home.

I ghosted the original harddrive (WD80gig PATA) to a 500 gig SATA Maxtor. I go to do the repair from the XP CD and it loads everything, reboots, the windows splash screen shows up for a few seconds and blue screens. It does not make it through the first reboot and does not go into the windows installation screen with the bullet points.

I have tried so many combinations of NLite installation cd's but I get the same result. I am not sure if I am doing something wrong. I make a new folder with the XP cd contents and copy everything over. I run NLite and add the single driver, in textmode. I've tried this with several different versions of the drivers but none seem to work. I've downloaded ones from ECS, NVidia, and the legacy ones you linked.

I have done a clean install on the same hard drive with the same hardware with no problems. I tried to do a repair on the original PATA drive on the new mobo and it does not work either. It blue screens at the same place.

Can you tell me exactly which drivers (version) to incorporate into NLite with respect to my system specs?

You probably have to do a fresh install, if the repair function of your old ghosted OS doesn't work for you.

Before I can give you any further advice, you should tell me, if you are using RAID or not. As far as I understood your post, you only have 1 single S-ATA hdd within your system. If this would be correct, you wouldn't need to integrate any NVIDIA textmode drivers.

You probably have to do a fresh install, if the repair function of your old ghosted OS doesn't work for you.

Before I can give you any further advice, you should tell me, if you are using RAID or not. As far as I understood your post, you only have 1 single S-ATA hdd within your system. If this would be correct, you wouldn't need to integrate any NVIDIA textmode drivers.

You are correct. It is NOT a raid system- it is just a single SATA hdd. Is it at all possible to do a repair then? Is there some other workaround?

You are correct. It is NOT a raid system- it is just a single SATA hdd. Is it at all possible to do a repair then? Is there some other workaround?
At first step I recommend to boot the machine with the ghosted XP partition in safe mode (F8, without Network support). If you succeed, look into the Device Manager for errors or missing drivers.

If you cannot boot in safe mode, I would do a fresh XP install. Since you don't have a RAID system, there is no need to integrate any textmode driver. The XP in-box IDE drivers will support the S-ATA hard disk drive. So you should be able to get Windows XP istalled with just a clean (=untouched) XP CD without integrating or loading (F6) any third party drivers.

If you want, that the OS uses the special nForce S-ATA driver, you can integrate the content of the SATA_IDE folder of the nForce chipset package v11.09 (for MCP61) as PnP driver. You can try to integrate the SATARAID driver folder as textmode as well, but you should not highlight the NVIDIA RAID Class Controller, although it is shown as "required".

At first step I recommend to boot the machine with the ghosted XP partition in safe mode (F8, without Network support). If you succeed, look into the Device Manager for errors or missing drivers.

If you cannot boot in safe mode, I would do a fresh XP install. Since you don't have a RAID system, there is no need to integrate any textmode driver. The XP in-box IDE drivers will support the S-ATA hard disk drive. So you should be able to get Windows XP istalled with just a clean (=untouched) XP CD without integrating or loading (F6) any third party drivers.

If you want, that the OS uses the special nForce S-ATA driver, you can integrate the content of the SATA_IDE folder of the nForce chipset package v11.09 (for MCP61) as PnP driver. You can try to integrate the SATARAID driver folder as textmode as well, but you should not highlight the NVIDIA RAID Class Controller, although it is shown as "required".

Thanks for the help so far. I tried to boot in to safe mode but when it got into windows it said there was some kind of error and had to shut down.

So this is what I have done so far. I moved that hdd with the ghosted image to a ECS L4VXA2 motherboard (VIA chipset) and it repaired fine. For some strange reason the motherboard died and would not read the RAM. So I moved it to the ECS 6100 motherboard (Nforce chipset). No Luck. So I purchased an Asus motherboard (AMD chipset) and same problem.

Do you know what's preventing me from doing the repair on the newer motherboards?

Thanks for the help so far. I tried to boot in to safe mode but when it got into windows it said there was some kind of error and had to shut down.
Which error message did you get? This might be important to detect the reason for your problem.
Do you know what's preventing me from doing the repair on the newer motherboards?
I have no idea, but it is never a good idea to transfer an OS installation from one system to another.

You really should do a clean install of Windows XP.

I need some drivers but for Vista.

My Vista du not see SATA HDD.

Fernanndo you can take care for this please.

Although this problem is off topic, I will try to help you, but I need some informations:

1. Which nForce chipset does your mainboard have (if you don't know, give me the name of the board).

2. Are you running Vista or did you try to install Vista and the hdd has not been detected by Vista Setup?