Integration of NVIDIA's nForce RAID and AHCI drivers

Fernando 1

I rebooted the machine, and it looks like it is starting the whole update process over again.. checked EVENT VIEWER:

NVRAID Erros:

-"The device , , hasa bad block"

Event ID 7

Source NVRAID

DISK Errors:

The Device \Device\HardDisk0\D, has a bad block

Event ID 7

Source DISk

Symbolic NAme: IO_ERR_BAD_BLOCK

Explanation: The device has a bad block of memory, which Windows was unable to read. Data might be missing or corrupted

OK.. Well w/o running memtest yet, according to this the Harddrive(s) is bad!..PowerSupply is 500W CoolerMaster CPT 500T Rock Solid Reviews ( LINK http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817159040 ) But I do not know if this actually meens the physical drive is bad, or the drivers for the RAID are not properly working... DO I RMA the hard Drives or what?!

Exactly that would I do.

Everything you reported indicates, that one of your hdd drives is defective. Find out which one by using a hdd checking utility like Drive Fitness Test (Hitachi) or Data Lifeguard (Western Digital).

I was using Nvidia RAID 1 for 2 Hitachi drives with my new 680i chipset board from Asus... However I had 2 SATA drives formatted through (Partition-Magic) running off the same mobo controller, on the primary/secondary SATA slots... Anyways I installed windows fine, and everything seemed to be working, except when IN windows, installing any drivers across or from drives OTHER than my ROOT C:\ partition, kept rebootnig my computer, until finally a BSOD cycle, and couldn't any longer boot into windows.

ie) I install a sounddriver from e:\ reboot.

I install Maya from C:\ and try to place it into e:\ or d:\ reboot

So i'm not running a RAID for my main system... SHOULD I? Maybe i'll try, perhaps this method will help me as well,,, I also heard I should ONLY connect the SATA drive i'm going to install my system on, do that, then when windows is installed/setup, THEN I can connect the other drives/connect the RAID 1 array, however I certainly don't want to go through all of that to ONLY have MORE reboots after.

Any ideas, or anyone else had an issue of this nature?

Oh I forgot to mention, after my windows installtion, each time I would try to reboot from windows, it seemed to shut down my computer in a strange abrupt way...

Then each time wnidows was BOOTING up, it would run CHECKDISK for 2 of my SATA partitions but never my main C: partition... MADE no sense. EACH time it rebooted, this would happen!

Edited by chlywly

I was using Nvidia RAID 1 for 2 Hitachi drives with my new 680i chipset board from Asus... However I had 2 SATA drives formatted through (Partition-Magic) running off the same mobo controller, on the primary/secondary SATA slots... Anyways I installed windows fine, and everything seemed to be working, except when IN windows, installing any drivers across or from drives OTHER than my ROOT C:\ partition, kept rebootnig my computer, until finally a BSOD cycle, and couldn't any longer boot into windows.

ie) I install a sounddriver from e:\ reboot.

I install Maya from C:\ and try to place it into e:\ or d:\ reboot

Althgough I have no experience with your new nForce 680i chipset, here are some notes:

If you have RAID devices and non-RAID devices within your system, it is very important, that you don't get more than 1 Master Boot Record (MBR).

Each Windows Operating Systems tries to get installed onto a non-Raid hdd and tries to name it drive C.

So i'm not running a RAID for my main system... SHOULD I?
This would be a good idea.
I also heard I should ONLY connect the SATA drive i'm going to install my system on, do that, then when windows is installed/setup, THEN I can connect the other drives/connect the RAID 1 array, however I certainly don't want to go through all of that to ONLY have MORE reboots after.
If you want to get any Windows OS installed onto your RAID array, you should unplug all other (non-Raid) storage devices during the installation. As your RAID array is build with more than 1 hdd, you may not unplug the other hdd, because you would break your RAID array this way.

This might have already been answered, but what if I just want SATA and not Raid? I have an AN8 SLI Nforce 4 setup. Right now I'm on IDE and I'd like to install on my SATA. I do not want raid. The guid mentioned something of only working with Riad??

Thanks,

Robert

This might have already been answered, but what if I just want SATA and not Raid? I have an AN8 SLI Nforce 4 setup. Right now I'm on IDE and I'd like to install on my SATA. I do not want raid. The guid mentioned something of only working with Riad??
Look at the bottom of my guide (first post of this thread). There you will find something about non-RAID S-ATA systems.

Guest Semiono

High! Respect!

Please help me anyware?

I'm use about ~2 years nLite 1.0 beta 5...

I not burning it as iso! Only with batch prompt ->

I386\WINNT /S:I386 /U:WINNT.SIF

there is I placed SIF in root of disk usaly.

But I have some gluck then I trying integer any drivers...

Reason ->

DOSNET.INF

[Directories]

d9 = \i386\nldrv ; \i386 - this must be deleted!

===============

DOSNET.INF

[Directories]

d9 = \nldrv ; Ok! Worked!

================

And now I try use nLite-1.2.1.installer.exe

And could the same problem this?

nvraid.sys - not found.... Why?

It file realy is present into C:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\I386\NLDRV\001

as NVRAID.SY_

maybe trouble is in extention .SY_

?

or it trouble within not iso using

I starting it always in ms-dos promptly.

:(

PS I'm not problem with installing nforce4 raid with nlite1.0,

but it need editing DOSNET.INF promptly always. Why?

I don't mean to be too off topic but I have been following this thread since September, and now that I am done building my system I believe I am ready to set up my raptors in raid 0 on my a8n32 sli dlx using only the information in red along with the new version of nlite. However not completely confident as there are still many who are having problems, I am still concerned. With this said, does the recently released nlite ver. 1.2.1 make selecting the drivers from the chipset package and integrating them easier. Also information regarding the option of updating your nforce drivers after your successful raid creation seems seem ambiguous. I have read that it can be dangerous and I have also read that it is a good option to make integrating sataraid drivers easier using older driver packages ex. 6.66. Then update to the newer drivers on the successfully created raid array. Could some one please clarify these few things for me, I would be most grateful and I am sure it would be a great help for all us raid noobs.

And now I try use nLite-1.2.1.installer.exe

And could the same problem this?

nvraid.sys - not found.... Why?

It file realy is present into C:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\I386\NLDRV\001

as NVRAID.SY_

maybe trouble is in extention .SY_?

Within the NLDRV folder all files are compressed to save space on your CD.

You will find the uncompressed NVRAID.SYS file within the I386 directory.

I don't mean to be too off topic but I have been following this thread since September, and now that I am done building my system I believe I am ready to set up my raptors in raid 0 on my a8n32 sli dlx using only the information in red along with the new version of nlite. However not completely confident as there are still many who are having problems, I am still concerned. With this said, does the recently released nlite ver. 1.2.1 make selecting the drivers from the chipset package and integrating them easier. Also information regarding the option of updating your nforce drivers after your successful raid creation seems seem ambiguous. I have read that it can be dangerous and I have also read that it is a good option to make integrating sataraid drivers easier using older driver packages ex. 6.66. Then update to the newer drivers on the successfully created raid array. Could some one please clarify these few things for me, I would be most grateful and I am sure it would be a great help for all us raid noobs.
I you are able to get the actual nForce SataRaid drivers installed from scratch, you should do it.

It is not really dangerous to install an OS with old mass storage controller drivers and to update them later (the update takes place after the reboot), but you might get problems, if you want a later upgrade from XP to Vista.

Hi Guys, Help me here. I have been trying to install windows on my Father-In-Law's computer for several months. Every time I call Asus they tell me the MB must be bad and it has been replaced 4 times. With the same problem ever time I assume it can't really be that many bad MB's or everyone on the internet would be complaining!

Still I cannot believe that 1) I can't find that many instances of the same problem, and 2) that Asus is unaware or anable to help me with this! The only way I found this thread is because I searched for “nforce4 reboot” rather than A8N32.

It’s an Asus A8N32-SLI deluxe and I am having the same problem you describe, where once all the files are installed and it tries to boot for the first time it goes into a reboot cycle.

Unfortunately your solution is not working for me. I followed all your steps as best I could but when the installation is copying files it keeps telling me that it can’t find at least 75 different files, including nvraid.cat and many other nv files. If I hit escape to skip those files, well, you can guess the result. I tried redoing the iso adding files from the different nforce folders into the i386 folder in the nlite folder, but that doesn’t work either.

Tia

Jim Fain

Thx Fernando for everything you have done.

You see, I live in a crap country were alot of uploading website are blocked. Unfortinatly, Vista drivers are uploaded to Megaupload.

I know what I'm asking is too much but this is my only way to get my hand on that ripped driver.

I'm sending my email privatly.

BTY, the drivers I need is this one:

http://www.megaupload.com/fr/?d=W4BBMD1G

Please look at you Private inbox

Edited by BelowSky

Hi Guys, Help me here. I have been trying to install windows on my Father-In-Law's computer for several months. Every time I call Asus they tell me the MB must be bad and it has been replaced 4 times. With the same problem ever time I assume it can't really be that many bad MB's or everyone on the internet would be complaining!

Still I cannot believe that 1) I can't find that many instances of the same problem, and 2) that Asus is unaware or anable to help me with this! The only way I found this thread is because I searched for “nforce4 reboot” rather than A8N32.

It’s an Asus A8N32-SLI deluxe and I am having the same problem you describe, where once all the files are installed and it tries to boot for the first time it goes into a reboot cycle.

Unfortunately your solution is not working for me. I followed all your steps as best I could but when the installation is copying files it keeps telling me that it can’t find at least 75 different files, including nvraid.cat and many other nv files. If I hit escape to skip those files, well, you can guess the result. I tried redoing the iso adding files from the different nforce folders into the i386 folder in the nlite folder, but that doesn’t work either.

Tia

Jim Fain

Update: Looks like I got it guys. I was trying to use nlite 1.1 and it apparently doesn't work as well as nlite 1.2. I added the drivers like the instructions in the first post said and voila! Success! Yaaaay! Thank you, Thank you, Thank You Mr. Fernando! You ROCK!

EDIT: OK, I got to Windows but then it asks to update the IDE channel drivers. If I let it update the drivers automatically it apparently installs the wrong ones because it almost immediately goes to a blue screen "machine_check_error." Back to the drawing board!

EDIT #2: OK, I fixed it by adding the nvatabus.inf file from the legacy folder. It now boots to Windows and I can install all the other devices!

Thanks again Fernando! You ROCK!

Edit Again: OK, now I have everything working. I unplug the PS2 mouse and plugged in a USB mouse and once again I get continuous rebooting when trying to get to windows. I am serious. If I plug in the other mouse it boots just fine. What's the deal there? Is there another incompatible device or driver?

EDIT AGAIN: I hope someone somewhere reads this and saves themselves the anguish I went thru trying to get this *&%$# computer running. I called Asus support several times about this and they were useless. USB won’t work properly unless you leave certain devices enabled in bios. Any of you nerds out there know that you traditionally disable unused on-board devices to conserve IRQ’s which promotes stability. With this board it makes USB unstable, causing crashing when you plug certain devices in. I am specifically talking about the onboard serial and parallel ports. If you leave them enabled your USB will work properly. If not, Windows won’t boot with a USB mouse plugged in; I kid you not. I have gone thru four motherboards with this issue. Asus themselves thought they were bad and had me RMA them.

Edited by RoachRage

Guest Semiono
Within the NLDRV folder all files are compressed to save space on your CD.

You will find the uncompressed NVRAID.SYS file within the I386 directory.

I know about it! But why I get gluk when I try starting from dos net installaton?

Directly: I386\WINNT.EXE /S:I386 /U:WINNT.SIF

How I may integrated two distributive nLite OS to my CD - other way?

From DOS I get it as:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

/Folder1/i386 + WINNT.SIF + WIN51IP + WINN.BAT

/Folder2/i386 + WINNT.SIF + WIN51IP + WINN.BAT

/WIN51IP

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How it make with boot.bin loader or SETUPLDR.BIN?

for use nLite with project http://bootcd.narod.ru/

Edited by Semiono

so i've been trying to make this work for the last two days now and still haven't been able to figure it out. the instructions seem so simple, yet after the installation of windows, i'm still getting the dreaded BSOD. I'm using nLite v1.2.1, windows XP (no SP) and nvidia drivers v6.86 on a DFI Expert with 2 Raptor 74GB RAID 0.

1. i put my xp cd in the cd-rom and start nlite

2. nlite asks for the location of windows xp and i point it at the cd-rom

3. nlite then asks where to store the new xp files, so i create a temp folder on my desktop and point nlite to the directory

4. i choose to include the service pack, drivers and create an iso

5. i point nlite at the XP SP2 file, which extracts and integrates the files into windows

6. nlite then asks for the drivers

6a. in preparation for this step, i downloaded platform driver 6.86 and extract the content into a temp folder on my desktop

6b. i choose 'single driver' in nlite and point it at the IDE\WinXP\SATARAID folder from the extracted platform drivers

6c. i pick both drivers nlite shows (nvatabus and nvraid) in TXT format

7. i created the iso file and burned a CD for installation

8. windows xp installation recognizes the raid drive, formats and installs files

9. windows reboots and begins installation, asking for user information

10. windows has final reboot to enter new installation, and then i get BSOD

if the drivers weren't working, would i see the raid drive in the installation? plus, it reboots and continues on with the second part of the installation flawlessly, which i thought meant everything was working. but when it reboots for the final login, it fails.

i know this works when i do it manually. when i hit F6 and installa the drivers off a floppy, windows installs and runs just fine. i just can't get it to work using nlite. any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

Edited by douirc

so i've been trying to make this work for the last two days now and still haven't been able to figure it out. the instructions seem so simple, yet after the installation of windows, i'm still getting the dreaded BSOD. I'm using nLite v1.2.1, windows XP (no SP) and nvidia drivers v6.86 on a DFI Expert with 2 Raptor 74GB RAID 0.

1. i put my xp cd in the cd-rom and start nlite

2. nlite asks for the location of windows xp and i point it at the cd-rom

3. nlite then asks where to store the new xp files, so i create a temp folder on my desktop and point nlite to the directory

4. i choose to include the service pack, drivers and create an iso

5. i point nlite at the XP SP2 file, which extracts and integrates the files into windows

6. nlite then asks for the drivers

6a. in preparation for this step, i downloaded platform driver 6.86 and extract the content into a temp folder on my desktop

6b. i choose 'single driver' in nlite and point it at the IDE\WinXP\SATARAID folder from the extracted platform drivers

6c. i pick both drivers nlite shows (nvatabus and nvraid) in TXT format

7. i created the iso file and burned a CD for installation

8. windows xp installation recognizes the raid drive, formats and installs files

9. windows reboots and begins installation, asking for user information

10. windows has final reboot to enter new installation, and then i get BSOD

if the drivers weren't working, would i see the raid drive in the installation? plus, it reboots and continues on with the second part of the installation flawlessly, which i thought meant everything was working. but when it reboots for the final login, it fails.

i know this works when i do it manually. when i hit F6 and installa the drivers off a floppy, windows installs and runs just fine. i just can't get it to work using nlite. any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

douirc, to make mine work I had to also add the nvatabus.inf driver from the legacy folder (using the most recent chipset driver from nvidia, not sure which). Once I did that my driver problems were solved.

If you look at my previous post you'll note that there is another issue, and that involves disabling some of the drivers in the bios. With at least the Asus A8N32 board, and possibly other nforce4 boards, if you disable the parallel port because it’s not going to be used it messes up the USB. Mine was so bad it caused a brief BSOD and then reboot on the first windows boot after all the driver loads, and each subsequent boot attempt. If there is nothing plugged into ANY USB ports then you’re fine. All it took to crash mine was a single USB mouse.

If yours is working with an F6 floppy load why are you attempting this method?