Integration of NVIDIA's nForce RAID and AHCI drivers

Fernando 1

Now back to your question:

Before you decide to create a RAID, you should know, that you can't save datas from a broken or corrupt RAID0 array. That is the wellknown risk with RAID0.

As I understood your posts, you were not able at all to install an OS onto your corrupt RAID0 array. Why do you want to save datas from a fresh install, which you never got running?

No no no Fernando :no: Obviously you can't read

I never said I installed an OS on the RAID0 array *sigh*

The 400GB RAID0 array has no OS, is full of data only, a seperate PATA hard drive has the OS. This is the third time I've mentioned that fact right there! :wacko:

I know the risks with RAID0, however I believe there is software out there that could fix my problem. Has anyone used R-Studio to deal with a RAID0 array?

I can read, but I don't understand you.

What has your problem to do with this thread? I am not a data recovery expert and I doubt, that such a person will read your posts within this thread.

I can read, but I don't understand you.

What has your problem to do with this thread? I am not a data recovery expert and I doubt, that such a person will read your posts within this thread.

Yes yes, good advice, thanks, I'll post elsewhere. Cheers :)

Fernando 1,

I'm about to attempt an ISO for a nForce 590 raid setup, but I'd just like to clarify one thing based on some confusion from reading different threads:

Should the contents of the $OEM$\$$\OemDir folder contain ONLY inf files from the SATARAID folder, or every file from that folder, or just specific files?

I ask because I dont plan on using nLite. I've never used it and I don't want to start (nothing against it I just like knowing what happens under the hood so I do it all manually). I've included three other massstorage drivers manually and I wanted to do the same for the nForce 590 RAID.

The confusion on the contents of the OemDir folder comes from a different thread that suggests the only thing that should go into the OemDir folder is files other than .inf .sys or .cat. In other words, only .dll .vxd .cpl or other files should go in OemDir.

Does that hold true in the case of nForce raid drivers or in light of the [OemInfFiles] section which was not part of the do-it-yourself massstorage guide.

I have some important news for the unworking gals...

Since I got the RAID hdds...yey finally...it seems that my VIA SATA 64bit integration isn't working properly, no hdds detected. I fixed it manually and will put to next nlite, so that may fix some others too, who knows.

I'm talking here about 64bit, 32bit worked great for me.

Should the contents of the $OEM$\$$\OemDir folder contain ONLY inf files from the SATARAID folder, or every file from that folder, or just specific files?
If you are using the OemInfFiles method to enforce the installation of not correctly digitally signed drivers (as the nForce SataRaid ones), you should put all files of the LEGACY subfolder into the OEMDIR folder (although not all of them are really needed). If you have no LEGACY subfolder, you may take the content of the SATARAID subfolder, but you have to add the NVATABUS.INF (from another package) and the files NVCOI.DLL and NVATA.CAT (from the SATA_IDE subfolder).

The OemInfFiles method does only work, when you additionally create a file named WINNT.SIF (situated in the I386 folder) with an OemInfFiles section. This section should look like this:

[OemInfFiles]
OemDriverFlags=1
OemDriverPathName="%SystemRoot%\OemDir"
OemInfName="nvraid.inf","nvatabus.inf"

Edited by Fernando 1

Okay, I've been going crazy trying to figure out why I couldn't get past a STOP 0x0000007B blue screen of death during textmode setup of WinXP SP2-slipstreamed. Wasted several CDs trying different versions of NVRAID, etc.. Finally got ahold of a floppy drive and tried it that way - SAME !@#(% THING. Booted into UBCD4WIN and ran "Windows XP Setup" under Applications thinking that would solve the problem -- still wouldn't boot into the 2nd stage of setup on the drive (system froze).

So I finally figured out what the problem was. I don't usually use a CD/DVD drive in my system, I use an external USB drive bay. Normally this works fine for everything. It even boots into UBCD4WIN. But for whatever reason the WinXP SP2 textmode setup doesn't like it at all. Hooked it up to my IDE port on the motherboard, problem solved.

Or so I thought; you see, I want to have 16k cluster sizes (formatted it in UBCD4WIN). Now I was getting a "Disk read error occurred - Press Ctrl Alt Del to restart" error message when trying to boot to the drive for 2nd stage setup. But guess what, I found a solution to that problem too. Look in this thread (basically you can't use SP2, you have to use SP1 or earlier to install -- there is also an alternative fix by replacing some files): http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?t=63931

I hope this helps someone out there, I've been going nuts over trying to figure this out for the past day or so. :wacko:

:D

Edited by MatthewK_78

I followed the instructions for integrating Server 2003 drivers, and it seemed to work and install OK. Unfortunately, for some reason, my IDE DVD-ROM disappeared after install, and wouldn't reappear until I ran the chipset driver install routine. This involved copying an entire CDROM worth of data over to the PC using a USB pen drive.

Now I can work around this issue if necessary, but it's annoying and I'd like to fix it for future reinstalls. Has anyone any idea what went wrong, or how to resolve this?

I followed the instructions for integrating Server 2003 drivers, and it seemed to work and install OK. Unfortunately, for some reason, my IDE DVD-ROM disappeared after install, and wouldn't reappear until I ran the chipset driver install routine. This involved copying an entire CDROM worth of data over to the PC using a USB pen drive.
That was not necessary.

The reason why your IDE DVD-ROM disappeared after the installation of W2k3 was an incompatibility of your IDE device and the nForce Parallel ATA Controller.

There are 2 easy ways to solve the problem.

At first you should look for new firmware of your IDE DVD-ROM device and - if available - flash the new one.

If there is no new firmware or the firmware update does not change anything, you should replace the nForce Parallel ATA Controller by the MS Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller.

Open the device manager and then the section "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller".

Then do a right click on the nForce4 Parallel ATA Controller and click "update driver software" > "Browse my computer for driver software" > "Let me pick from a list..."

When the option "Show compatible hardware" is enbled you now can see the "Standard Dual Channel PCI-IDE Controller" as fully compatible hardware. Choose it and go ahead > Done.

After the next reboot you will see your IDE DVD-ROM within the device manager.