Integration of NVIDIA's nForce RAID and AHCI drivers

Fernando 1

I'm running into a brick wall with the tutorial in the first post. It's very informative, but I can't see what is going wrong. In my first attempt I slipstreamed drivers from the file motherboard_driver_raid_nvidia_ck804_bootdisk_xp.exe, which is specifically for the Gibayte K8N-series of motherboards (mine is a GAK8N-SLI) and integrated as TEXTMODE in nlite. I got through all stages of installing Windows, but when it reboots for the final time I get the BSOD with the following stop error

"0x0000007B (0xBACC3524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)"

I know that this stop error means an inaccessible boot device.

On my second attempt (which included deleting the partition, creating a new partition and formating to NTFS), I created a new slipstreamed disc, this time using drivers from the package nForce4_x16_6.85_winxp2k_english.exe from the NVIDIA site, drivers taken from the legacy folder. Same story, same stop error.

I know that at least the first stage of the windows install is loading these drivers because I can see it doing so at the bottom of the screen. The only thing I can think of is that Windows is still treating these drivers as unsafe (because they're not digitally signed) and over-writing them with its own default. However, I thought that that was precisely what the method in post#1 was supposed to solve.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. This is a new source that already has SP2 integrated (by Microsoft) and I have also integrated the latest NVIDIA Forceware drivers (91.31) for my GeForce 6600 graphics card, as well as slipstreaming hotfixes from this page (v1.0.5a). Could any of that be causing a conflict? I doubt it, but it's always worth mentioning.

P.P.S. I should also point out that I have been able to install windows on this computer before (I'm doing a reformat just to start fresh), but that was using an old Gigabyte drivers package that is no longer available from their site (and I can't find the floppy). The file in question is driver_sata_nf4_boot disk_xp.exe. If anyone has it, I'd be grateful if they could email it to me so I could test it out to see if it will work where the newer package won't.

EDIT: I should also add that this is for a single SATA drive, arranged in a RAID array that is set to spanning and that my nVRaid BIOS version is 4.84

Edited by zulu9812

Just to update my progress, I used nlite to delete the SCSI/RAID drivers from a fresh windows source, integrated the drivers from 6.86_nforce_win2kxp_international_whql.exe and burned a new winlite CD. This time, I couldn't even enter setup.

Bugger.

EDIT: Okay, I created a new slipstreamed disc, this time taking out the SCSI?RAID driver and all the IDE drivers. I was able to install Windows but, again, on final reboot I got that **** stop error. I'm at a dead end now, I've tried everything that I can think of.

Edited by zulu9812

It goes all the way through to the GUI mode, but when it finishes it restarts and then I get a stop error. Currently I get IRQ IS LESS THAN EQUAL.

Background: Motherboard works but the floppy connector does not, ergo I can't use disks.

Should I try another version of Nlite or another Raid package?

My suggestions:

1. Check your RAM sticks by doing a memtest (the "IRQ_Not_Less_or_Equal" error mostly is caused by bad RAM or unstable RAM settings).

2. Unplug the floppy cable from your motherboard and disable the FDD Connector within BIOS (this is better than to work with a FDD without function).

3. Recreate a new nLited XP XD, but this time

a ) take the RC8 version of nLite (some users reported about problems with the final version by integrating TEXTMODE drivers) and

b ) integrate the nForce SataRaid drivers I suggested within my guide (post 1 of this thread). Don't take the nForce RAID drivers from the DFI web site you have used (they are very old, although they are presented by DFI this year).

On my second attempt (which included deleting the partition, creating a new partition and formating to NTFS), I created a new slipstreamed disc, this time using drivers from the package nForce4_x16_6.85_winxp2k_english.exe from the NVIDIA site, drivers taken from the legacy folder. Same story, same stop error.

P.S. This is a new source that already has SP2 integrated (by Microsoft) and I have also integrated the latest NVIDIA Forceware drivers (91.31) for my GeForce 6600 graphics card, as well as slipstreaming hotfixes from this page (v1.0.5a). Could any of that be causing a conflict?

Suggestions:

1. You should always use a clean original OS CD as source, when you start creating an nLited CD.

2. The nForce SataRaid drivers off the 6.85 package LEGACY folder should work for your chipset.

3. Maybe you should try to use the RC8 and not the final version of nLite 1.0 (some users reported about problems with the final version by integrating TEXTMODE drivers).

4. Don't remove any IDE/SCSI drivers by nLite, when you want to integrate the nForce SataRaid drivers.

I get the exact same BSOD as zulu9812 with my new nLite CD :(

I've gotten one of my previous nLite CD's to work but I can't remember what drivers I used on it for my RAID 0 setup :unsure:

Try nLite 1.0 RC8 and report here, if you succeed this way.

Okay, I went back to basics. Used my ordinary, original, unslipstreamed Windows XP Pro disc and put my nForce drivers on a floppy. Installed Windows the normal way. No problems whatsoever.

Looks like the problem was caused by nlite not integrating the drivers correctly. Or the drivers can't be integrated correctly. One of the two.

Okay, I went back to basics. Used my ordinary, original, unslipstreamed Windows XP Pro disc and put my nForce drivers on a floppy. Installed Windows the normal way. No problems whatsoever.
Which driver version did you take? Check the properties of the NVATABUS.SYS or NVRAID.SYS.
Looks like the problem was caused by nlite not integrating the drivers correctly. Or the drivers can't be integrated correctly. One of the two.
This is a very important question.

You would help yourself and a lot of other nLite users, if you would do the following:

Create an nLited XP CD with integrated LEGACY drivers from the 6.85 package by using nLite 1.0 Final. Take the original XP CD as source!

If this method fails, create another CD by using nLite 1.0 RC8.

Please report here about the results.

Thanks!

Fernando

Which driver version did you take? Check the properties of the NVATABUS.SYS or NVRAID.SYS.

I actually found the nForce CD that came with my 'puter. I've attached the drivers I got from that so you can look at it.

EDIT: can't attach, too big apparently. Can I email it to you?

You would help yourself and a lot of other nLite users, if you would do the following:

Create an nLited XP CD with integrated LEGACY drivers from the 6.85 package by using nLite 1.0 Final. Take the original XP CD as source!

Thanks!

Fernando

Both 1.0f and 1.0 rc8 were complete failures, in the same manner described in my first post in this thread (i.e. installation was successful but crashed to BSOD after final reboot, indicating that the nForce drivers were being overwritten).

Edited by zulu9812

I actually found the nForce CD that came with my 'puter. I've attached the drivers I got from that so you can look at it.

EDIT: can't attach, too big apparently. Can I email it to you?

If you cannot find the driver version number, you may attach the NVATABUS.INF file.

Thanks!

Fernando

Both 1.0f and 1.0 rc8 were complete failures, in the same manner described in my first post in this thread (i.e. installation was successful but crashed to BSOD after final reboot, indicating that the nForce drivers were being overwritten).
I don't believe that.

Maybe your problems have something to do with the fact, that you don't have a real Raid array. Why did you build a Raid, although you have only 1 hdd?

When your installations have failed, did you try to boot in safe mode by using F8?

Fernando, I'm having the same problem as Zulu. I have 2 WD Caviar SE16's in RAID 0 on the nvidia controller. i've used both nlite 1.0f, and 1.0rc8, and still get the same problem. I have a legitimate copy of XP Pro, with SP1, I slipstream the network install version which has a build of 2180. Normally on machines that get SP2, it's build 2160. Could this be the problem???

Also, Safe mode doesn't work, especially when it restarts the computer after making a choice at the menu...

Edited by Reinvented

i've used both nlite 1.0f, and 1.0rc8, and still get the same problem. I have a legitimate copy of XP Pro, with SP1, I slipstream the network install version which has a build of 2180. Normally on machines that get SP2, it's build 2160. Could this be the problem???
Yes, you should either take an XP CD with integrated SP2 or you have to integrate SP2 into an original CD before you start integrating the nForce SataRaid drivers.

An integration of the nForce SataRaid drivers into an XP SP1 version does not work.

Hi all

Thanks Fernando for this hell-thread :thumbup

My mobo is MSI K8N Platinum with nvidia RAID BIOS version 4.84

ACPI set in nLite to auto

I'm getting a Blue screen when running Windows Setup

***STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00A902FE, 0xF7CAA6DC, 0xF7CAA3D8, 0xF7440F81)

*** ntfs.sys - address F7440F81 base at F73F1000, Datestamp 41107eea

I'm pretty sure this is the exact same error I was getting before creating the slipstream CD. Before, when I booted with the Windows XP CD (no service packs) and did the F6 thing, Windows Setup would load to the point where the menu would come up. If I pressed 'R' for repair it would then crash with this blue screen.

The RAID0 array is quite old and has worked ok in the past. But I've been asked to reinstall WinXP. Fortunately the OS is on a seperate PATA drive. I'm starting to think maybe my problem is different and it's the data on the hard drives thats causing the crashes, or maybe when I initially set up this PC the drivers I used from the included CD's were older nForce drivers that worked.... it doesn't bluescreen when I leave the 2 SATA drives unplugged

HELP! :o

Now, this is interesting. As I said, I can install Windows using an original, non-slipstreamed disc and nForce drivers on a floppy. This lead me to think that nlite was not integrating the nForce drivers correctly. When I created a slipstreamed disc (a hotfix pack, .NET 2.0, Acrobat Reader and Open Office 2.03, with WMP, IE, Messenger, Windows Messenger, MSN Explorer, System Restore, Automatic Updates, Imapi, Fax Services, Tour, Help, System Error Reporting, Event Dump Log, Security Center and Service Pack Messages all removed - NO DRIVERS INTEGRATED) and tried to use that in conjunction with my floppy, then I would run into problems.

I would be able to boot from CD into setup mode, press f6 to say that I wanted to install 3rd party SCSI/RAID drivers, be able to load the nRAID Controller and the nForce Storage Controller (they're not called exactly that, but something similar) and Windows would then start copying files (this is all before the GUI part of windows install). The installation would then tell me that it couldn't load these nVidia drivers, even if I hit Enter to retry.

This leads me to think that there is something in the nlite slipstreaming process which is interfering with installing nForce RAID drivers, no matter of they're integrated or on a floppy.

Edited by zulu9812

As zulu9812 said, I've also tried my nLite CD without any integrated raid drivers and I got the same results as him where it kept saying "Setup cannot copy the file:". I've wasted almost 10 CD's trying to fix the problem and I've had no success so far :(

Edited by Cybertronic

I'm getting a Blue screen when running Windows Setup

***STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00A902FE, 0xF7CAA6DC, 0xF7CAA3D8, 0xF7440F81)

*** ntfs.sys - address F7440F81 base at F73F1000, Datestamp 41107eea

Fortunately the OS is on a seperate PATA drive. I'm starting to think maybe my problem is different and it's the data on the hard drives thats causing the crashes, or maybe when I initially set up this PC the drivers I used from the included CD's were older nForce drivers that worked.... it doesn't bluescreen when I leave the 2 SATA drives unplugged

You obviously have a problem with your hdd's and/or with different boot sectors (MBR's).

Check your hdd's by using Checkdisk and look into your BIOS for the Hard Disk Boot Priority (there you can choose, from which hdd you want to boot, that is something else as the Boot Drive Sequence). Which of your hdd's is drive C? Do you have more than 1 MBR?

When you want to install XP onto a non-Raid-hdd, you should neither hit F6 nor integrate any nForce SataRaid drivers. Just install XP and - after having done it - install the nForce chipset driver package suitable for your chipset by executing the SETUP.EXE. Then XP will see your Raid partitions.

As I said, I can install Windows using an original, non-slipstreamed disc and nForce drivers on a floppy. This lead me to think that nlite was not integrating the nForce drivers correctly. When I created a slipstreamed disc (a hotfix pack, .NET 2.0, Acrobat Reader and Open Office 2.03, with WMP, IE, Messenger, Windows Messenger, MSN Explorer, System Restore, Automatic Updates, Imapi, Fax Services, Tour, Help, System Error Reporting, Event Dump Log, Security Center and Service Pack Messages all removed - NO DRIVERS INTEGRATED) and tried to use that in conjunction with my floppy, then I would run into problems.

I would be able to boot from CD into setup mode, press f6 to say that I wanted to install 3rd party SCSI/RAID drivers, be able to load the nRAID Controller and the nForce Storage Controller (they're not called exactly that, but something similar) and Windows would then start copying files (this is all before the GUI part of windows install). The installation would then tell me that it couldn't load these nVidia drivers, even if I hit Enter to retry.

This leads me to think that there is something in the nlite slipstreaming process which is interfering with installing nForce RAID drivers, no matter of they're integrated or on a floppy.

1. You can't do the F6/floppy method with new nForce SataRaid drivers (from a chipset driver package 6.65 or higher). For F6 nForce SataRaid driver installation you should take the 6.53 package.

2. The nForce SataRaid driver integration method by using nLite or CD Creator is proved by thousands of users with different systems. It works for all of them and will work for you too. Maybe your burner is not OK or your burning speed was too high.

As zulu9812 said, I've also tried my nLite CD without any integrated raid drivers and I got the same results as him where it kept saying "Setup cannot copy the file:". I've wasted almost 10 CD's trying to fix the problem and I've had no success so far :(
You obviously have a CD/CD Burner problem. Check your CD Burner or burn a new CD with lower speed.

@ all nLite 1.0 Final users with problems integrating the nForce SataRaid drivers:

If you get a message like "Setup can't find/copy file xyz", this might be caused by an issue of the Final version of nLite 1.0.

For details look here: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=77510

My suggestion: Take nLite 1.0 RC8 until Nuhi has fixed the problem.