Integration of NVIDIA's nForce RAID and AHCI drivers

Fernando 1

Thanks for maintaining this thread, my first experiences with nVidia raid and WinXP install were rather painful. I think it's a good help for many users.

I was wondering about the different versions ...

from the LEGACY folders:

nforce 6.70 AMD

nvraid.inf: DriverVer=08/18/2005,5.10.2600.0552

nvatabus.inf: DriverVer=08/18/2005,5.10.2600.0552

nforce 6.85 AMD

Vista beta:

nvatabus.inf: DriverVer=05/01/2006,5.10.2600.0667

This suggests that the Vista beta driver package contains an updated nvatabus driver, the rest is identical anyway. Anyone know more? nVidia isn't exactly very clear in their driver releases I find.

I've got a question. Are RAID drivers updated when you install the latest nForce drivers after loading the OS or is the RAID driver you pick at install the only one that is ever used until you reinstall the OS with a newer RAID driver?

Also, what if any difference is there between the 9.34 Vista beta drivers and the regular 9.34 international drivers? I had already downloaded the regular 9.34 nForce driver package to install but i had to go and get the other Vista beta .zip package you linked to for the RAID integration since it has the Legacy folder and i guess thats what i need to use for SATA RAID integration in nLite right? Is there any difference in RAID driver versions used between the two packages? I'm going to install the regular 9.34 nForce drivers once i get Windows XP loaded.

Edited by burningrave101

I was wondering about the different versions ...

from the LEGACY folders:

nforce 6.70 AMD

nforce 6.85 AMD

Vista beta:

nvatabus.inf: DriverVer=05/01/2006,5.10.2600.0667

This suggests that the Vista beta driver package contains an updated nvatabus driver, the rest is identical anyway. Anyone know more? nVidia isn't exactly very clear in their driver releases I find.

The Vista nForce driver package contains not only a new NVATABUS, but a new NVRAID driver too (both versions: 5.10.2600.667). I don't know where you got the above information about the NVRAID.INF from, but this is not true.

The IDE, Audio and SMBus drivers off the new Vista nForce driver package are compatible to Windows XP and can be used for the intagration by nLite. I have already added this possibility into my guide (first post of this thread).

I've got a question. Are RAID drivers updated when you install the latest nForce drivers after loading the OS or is the RAID driver you pick at install the only one that is ever used until you reinstall the OS with a newer RAID driver?
No, you can update the Raid driver later (update is done after the reboot).
Also, what if any difference is there between the 9.34 Vista beta drivers and the regular 9.34 international drivers? I had already downloaded the regular 9.34 nForce driver package to install but i had to go and get the other Vista beta .zip package you linked to for the RAID integration since it has the Legacy folder and i guess thats what i need to use for SATA RAID integration in nLite right? Is there any difference in RAID driver versions used between the two packages? I'm going to install the regular 9.34 nForce drivers once i get Windows XP loaded.
Don't take the regular 9.34 driver package, because they don't have a LEGACY folder. Take the Vista 32-bit package. It contains the same drivers, but have a complete LEGACY folder with all necessary files.

From the posts i'm reading its looking like the regular 9.34 drivers dont install properly on pre-nForce 5 chipsets and certain parts like the IDE driver aren't installed.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70601

This guy here released a new driver remix of the 9.34's that supposedly addresses this issue and he also fixed the folder structure to include the Legacy subfolder.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70757

Edited by burningrave101

From the posts i'm reading its looking like the regular 9.34 drivers dont install properly on pre-nForce 5 chipsets and certain parts like the IDE driver aren't installed.
That is why I suggest to take the new Vista nForce package (downloadable here) instead of the "regular" 9.34 one.
This guy here released a new driver remix of the 9.34's that supposedly addresses this issue and he also fixed the folder structure to include the Legacy subfolder.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70757

Those "unified" Remix driver packages are modded and not designed for a driver integration, but a driver installation after the end of the complete OS install. You may try them for the integration of SataRaid drivers at your own risk.

Good news for users, who always want the newest drivers:

NVIDIA has published a new nForce chipset driver package v. 9.34. Although this package is mainly designed for the future nForce5 chipsets, it is also usable for nForce4 chipsets.

For the integration of the nForce SataRaid drivers I do not recommend to take the "normal" 9.34 package, but the one laying here: ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/vista/beta2/

The SataRaid drivers off the 32-bit package are designed for Vista Beta2, but very good usable for XP too. Important is the presence of a full compatible LEGACY subfolder with all necessary files.

I have added these drivers into my guide (first post of this thread).

CU

Fernando

Fernando,

Just wanted to say what an excellent job you do keeping us updated with these! :thumbup

But just out of curosity, I realize you mention this newest chipset driver package is compatible with nForce4 chipsets and some may use it "who always want the newest drivers," but...

What, if any benefits/advantages does this latest package provide to Win XP or is it merely an upgrade path for Vista users that also happens to be compatible with XP?

But just out of curosity, I realize you mention this newest chipset driver package is compatible with nForce4 chipsets and some may use it "who always want the newest drivers," but...

What, if any benefits/advantages does this latest package provide to Win XP or is it merely an upgrade path for Vista users that also happens to be compatible with XP?

The 9.34's contain new drivers such as new NVATABUS and NVRAID drivers. New drivers normally mean fixes and improved performance. Its always a good idea to have the latest chipset drivers installed if you're looking for top performance.

Edited by burningrave101

NVIDIA has developed new nForce drivers for Vista and nForce5 chipsets, but these brandnew SataRaid drivers are backwards compatible to Windows XP and all earlier nForce chipsets (nForce2/3/4).

Each user should decide himself, if he wants to try the new drivers. I have tested them on my nForce4 array and they are working like a charme.

I looked at the 9.34 Vista pack and it has no Ethernet drivers included and then i looked at the other 9.34 international drivers i had downloaded before and they have no Audio drivers. I'm going to try the 9.34 Unified Remix bundle i linked to before because it has all the drivers packaged together and see if i can't integrate the SATARAID drivers with it.

This was his file structure:

the structure of the ide driver is

Legacy > Contains All standard PATA/ATA and SATA controllers and Nforce raid drivers.

SATA_IDE > contains SATA controller drivers for NF4 intel and NF 430/410 and 5xx controllers

SATARAID > contains the sataraid drivers for the NF4 and NF5 raid controllers

RAIDTOOL> contains the standard raid tool set.

Edited by burningrave101

I looked at the 9.34 Vista pack and it has no Ethernet drivers included
That was a good idea from NVIDIA, because the Ethernet drivers off the "regular" 9.34 package don't work with nForce3 and nForce4 chipsets.
I'm going to try the 9.34 Unified Remix bundle i linked to before because it has all the drivers packaged together and see if i can't integrate the SATARAID drivers with it.
There are more modded "unified" nForce chipset driver remixes in the net, which are based on the 9.34 driver package.

Look here:

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/meis-nware...ix-vt66280.html

and here:

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/nforce-934...64-vt66306.html

"regular" 9.34 package don't work with nForce3 and nForce4 chipsets.

Are you sure about that? With the "regular" 9.34 package the Ethernet driver is suppost to be for NF3/4/5. Others didn't seem to have a problem with the Ethernet driver.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread...?t=70601&page=3

There are more modded "unified" nForce chipset driver remixes in the net, which are based on the 9.34 driver package.

Look here:

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/meis-nware...ix-vt66280.html

and here:

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/nforce-934...64-vt66306.html

Yeah, those are the same two guys off nvnews.

Edited by burningrave101

"regular" 9.34 package don't work with nForce3 and nForce4 chipsets.
Are you sure about that? With the "regular" 9.34 package the Ethernet driver is suppost to be for NF3/4/5. Others didn't seem to have a problem with the Ethernet driver.

Try it and find it out yourself.

By the way: You won't find the new Ethernet drivers off the "regular" 9.34 package within the Remix packages we talked about. I am sure, that those guys would have taken them, if they really are fully compatible to nForce3 and nForce4 mobos.

The Vista nForce driver package contains not only a new NVATABUS, but a new NVRAID driver too (both versions: 5.10.2600.667). I don't know where you got the above information about the NVRAID.INF from, but this is not true.

@Fernando 1. Yes, don't know myself where I got the version info, I must have been in outer space. Both are indeed 5.10.2600.0667.

I created the SATARAID folder using the method mentioned in step 1 and 2 under Windows Server 2003 at the beginning of your post. Then I used that folder for NLite single driver integration. Then I integrated other pnp drivers.
Thanks for the details.

I really have no idea, why you got a BSOD by using my method according post 1 of this thread and no BSOD by using the F6/floppy method.

Is it possible, that you used different drivers from different packages? There are two nForce packages v. 6.69, one 32-bit for W2k3 and one 64-bit for XP and W2k3. Are you sure, that you took the 32-bit ones?

No I used the 32 bit drive in either case. I once tried to use the 64 bit driver(by mistake) and it told me that they were not compatible.

No I used the 32 bit drive in either case. I once tried to use the 64 bit driver(by mistake) and it told me that they were not compatible.
Please give us some details about your config (mobo, chipset, sort of hdd's etc.) and explain, what exactly you have done during nForce SataRaid driver installation (F6 method and nLite integration).