Integration of NVIDIA's nForce RAID and AHCI drivers

Fernando 1

Fernando, this maybe slightly off topic, but when I'm using the Windows Unattended CD Creator to add the Intel iaStor storage driver, the program asks me to pick one. Does it matter? Because the $OEM$ file that is created shows all of them, and the WINNT.SIF just makes reference to the file name.

I ask this because I have 2 machines I want the install disk to be good for. Both machines would pull from the same storage file, but one is a ICH6R - 82801FR, and the other is a ICH7R/DH - 82801GR/GH.

nLite would pull them all in. You would just have to pick one. Does the Windows Unattended CD Creator work the same way?

The integration of TEXTMODE and PnP drivers is done in a similar way. The difference is the method to enforce the installation of not or not correctly digitally signed mass storage controller drivers. If you are using the CD Creator, all files of the driver subfolder are copied and usable for Windows setup (as with nLite), but additionally you have the possibility to enhance the installation of a critical textmode driver by flag him as "bad" controller driver. After having done this, the "bad" controller driver is something like "privileged" during the later OS install.

Fernando, the Windows Unattended CD Creator funtionally only "embedded" the one TEXTMODE storage driver that I selected, and, based on what you've said, that is probably the intent. Even though the $OEM$ file shows all the drivers, it only picks up the one at install time. To verify, I re-did it selecting the other TEXTMODE driver, and, sure enough, the 2nd disk worked like a charm on my other machine, but wouldn't work on the original.

Are you aware of any simple program (besides nLite that's having problems in this area right now) that will TEXTMODE embed all of the storage drivers?

If not, I'm assuming the the CD Creator modifies the TXTSETUP.SIF - I can see the one driver. Can I add another line under [sCSI] for the other specific driver?

Thanks again

Fernando, the Windows Unattended CD Creator funtionally only "embedded" the one TEXTMODE storage driver that I selected, and, based on what you've said, that is probably the intent. Even though the $OEM$ file shows all the drivers, it only picks up the one at install time. To verify, I re-did it selecting the other TEXTMODE driver, and, sure enough, the 2nd disk worked like a charm on my other machine, but wouldn't work on the original.
Did you try to flag both TEXTMODE drivers as "bad" controller driver?

After the CD Creator has done its processing, but before you create the ISO image file, have a look into the WINNT.SIF of the CD Creator processing folder. You find a section which looks like this:

[OemInfFiles]
OemDriverFlags=1
OemDriverPathName="%SystemRoot%\OEMDIR"
OemInfName="DRIVER1.inf","DRIVER2.inf","DRIVER3.inf"

Within the last line you can see all INF files of the embedded OEMDIR drivers. If there is an INF file missing, you may try to add it, but precondition is, that

- all driver files (SYS, INF and DLL) have to be within the OEMDIR folder and

- the TEXTMODE drivers themselves have to be copied into the \i386 root.

The TXTSETUP.SIF entries are made by the CD Creator, when you have integrated them within the "driver integration" section.

Are you aware of any simple program (besides nLite that's having problems in this area right now) that will TEXTMODE embed all of the storage drivers?
Maybe you find something here: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showforum=107

Fernando and LG, this may not mean a thing, but until Fernando asked about flagging both TEXTMODE drivers, I was not aware that you could flag more than one. So, I just created a disk by flagging both Intel SATA drivers (in the Intel TXTSETUP.OEM: iaAHCI_ICH7R = "Intel® 82801GR/GH SATA AHCI Controller (Desktop ICH7R/DH)", and iaAHCI_ICH6R = "Intel® 82801FR SATA AHCI Controller (Desktop ICH6R)") which are both contained within the latest Intel Matrix Storage Manager, IATA55.EXE. I thought it was very much like nLite where you could only flag one. My mistake.

Fernando, one thing is that when I have used the CD Creator in the past, not only did I not realize that you could flag more than one TEXTMODE driver, I also didn’t realize that you could choose “bad” for more force-fitting of a stubborn driver. Unlike the nVRaid drivers, I don’t think that these Intel drivers require a “bad” selection, because they’ve worked. Since I have only chosen one in the past, it seems to have imbedded just one without issue. I’m at work right now. When I go home, I will try the new 2-driver selected disk on the other computer to see if there’s a problem. My guess is that there won’t be – I should have selected more than one. I’ll post my results no matter what.

As far as the CD Creator and PnP drivers are concerned, have you had any issues? nLite also seemed to have a tough time with my Intel NIC driver, so I’ve gotten a little skittish about trying to do too much. Your program installed the Intel chipset INF drivers without a problem. It also installed my ATI video drivers perfectly.

If all I had to do is select more than one driver, this is the $OEM$ driver install program I was asking about. It really is a nice program. I like the way it asked me to get rid of the useless folders in my (HFSLIP) Win2K installation.

Many thanks

@PVU

If I understood correctly, you integrated both drivers, Intel® 82801GR/GH SATA AHCI Controller (Desktop ICH7R/DH) and Intel® 82801FR SATA AHCI Controller (Desktop ICH6R).

Did you mark both drivers as "BAD" ? I think in your case one driver is enough!

Which files are in $OEM$\$$\OEMDIR on CD now ?

What is this!?

Instead of contacting me when some driver doesn't work you promote some other tool on nLite forum.

What a nerve.

If someone is willing to test this Intel driver with upcoming nlite send me a PM.

What is this!?

Instead of contacting me when some driver doesn't work you promote some other tool on nLite forum.

What a nerve.

I am not promoting some other tool on nLite forum, I am just helping an nLite forum member to solve his problems.

On the other hand you are right - this is not the best place to discuss details about another tool.

@ PVU:

If you want an further assistance with the use of the CD Creator, please post your problem within the Creator Board.

If someone is willing to test this Intel driver with upcoming nlite send me a PM.
@ PVU:

This is a good chance to get your problem solved within the next nLite version. I encourage you to accept Nuhi's invitation.

nLite only enables for nvidia multiselection, I guess it should have it enabled for all, done for next.

nuhi, this (RC8i) must have done it, because on the initial install it picked up the Intel® 82801FR SATA AHCI Controller (Desktop ICH6R). I will load it on the Intel® 82801GR/GH SATA AHCI Controller (Desktop ICH7R/DH) machine when I go to work. I'm assuming it will work. If I run into a problem I'll let you know. But no news will be good news.

I don't need to do a full install right now, so I can't tell you about the Intel NIC drivers. But, if they had the same multi-selection issue, you should be in good shape there also. If it is still an issue, we'll see folks discuss it, I'm sure. I almost feel like formating this machine to see how it would all go - interested to see how the integration worked out for the NICs, and SigmaTel and SoundMAX audio drivers. For the Sigmatel drivers, I deleted the STHDA64.INF (64 bit files) before integration.

Many thanks for your work on this specific issue. It may not have made it easier to deal with the NVidia drivers, but it looks like it took care on the Intel storage drivers. You might be done with RC8.

@ Lou Jacob

I have meticulously followed the instructions, ensured that no other devices are plugged into the PC (all other hard drives are disconnected except for the 2 WD SATA drives configured on the NVRAID controller.

I've read somewhere that XP cannot be installed on only a raidset.

I meant 2 drives configured as raid and no other drives (SATA/IDE) present.

Try the same setup but add one nonraid disk to the system.

Maybe that will work.

I've read somewhere that XP cannot be installed on only a raidset.

I meant 2 drives configured as raid and no other drives (SATA/IDE) present.

Try the same setup but add one nonraid disk to the system.

Maybe that will work.

I don't know where you have read this, but this is nonsense.

The truth is quite the contrary: You may get problems, when you have one or more hdd's outside the Raid array.

That is the reason why I suggest to unplug such non-Raid hdd during the Windows Setup.

CU

Fernando

i have some problems with the slipstreamed WinXP

I used sataraid + extras in the driver 6.70 for the VOL WinXP w/SP2

When i used the slipstreamed CD to boot, i can see the installer copying the nVIDIA raid driver. However, when it comes to "Setup in starting Windows"(still in the text mode, before the "press F8 to agree" screen), a BSOD is shown

the contents is like this: (sorry, i cant remember the text exactly :( )

setup has detected some errors and prevented the damage

check your hard disk drives....

could you help me to figure out the problem?

I have tried the legacy and sataraid w/extra, they show the same BSOD

Edited by hkccc

i have some problems with the slipstreamed WinXP

I used sataraid + extras in the driver 6.70 for the VOL WinXP w/SP2

When i used the slipstreamed CD to boot, i can see the installer copying the nVIDIA raid driver. However, when it comes to "Setup in starting Windows"(still in the text mode, before the "press F8 to agree" screen), a BSOD is shown

could you help me to figure out the problem?

With no informations about your system (mainboard and nForce chipset, nVRaid Bios version, numbers and sort of hdd's) I have no idea how I could help you.

Please betray some details about your computer.

CU

Fernando

sorry~

here is my config:

Gigabyte K8NU-9 (NF4U)

A64 3000+

3GB DDRRam

7200.10 320GB * 2 (RAID1)

NVRAID BIOS is 4.84

WinXP VOL w/SP2 (from MSDN)

nForce 6.70

thanks~!

Edited by hkccc

here is my config:

Gigabyte K8NU-9 (NF4U)

A64 3000+

3GB DDRRam

7200.10 320GB * 2 (RAID1)

NVRAID BIOS is 4.84

WinXP VOL w/SP2 (from MSDN)

nForce 6.70

Your config looks good. The integration of the nForce SataRaid drivers off the 6.70 package should work.

Preconditions: no hardware issues and a "healthy" Raid array.

Further questions:

a ) Has your Raid array been correctly detected as 1 device at the begin of the install?

b ) Did you low level format both hdd's before creating the array?

c ) Is the boot sector of your Raid shown as device C:?

d ) Have you tried the XP installation by using F6/floppy (without nLite)?

e ) Are you sure, that your memory sticks are ok (Tip: Retry the install with just 1 stick)?

f ) Did you unplug all unneeded devices (USB sticks, card reader etc.) during the install?