Integration of NVIDIA's nForce RAID and AHCI drivers

Fernando 1

Hi, i'm having a few problems.

I'm not sure how to tell whether or not Windows has successfully used my drivers, and therefore recognised the HDD. When i install i manage to get the drive partitioned and i manage to get the Windows files installed afterwards. However, upon rebooting to complete the install i recieve this message:

Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.

Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware.

Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information.

I've asked around and someone said that even though i had manage to get the drive partitioned, Windows had not installed the SATA drivers. Is this true? If so, then i must have wrongly integrated them. I just find it strange that the partition would be complete even though Windows did not have the drivers.

Also, regarding this bit off info on your first post:

Then you can integrate the other nForce drivers (SMBus, Ethernet etc.) as "normal drivers".

What else needs to be integrated? I think this is perhaps where i went wrong. What apart from the LEGACY folder needs to be integrated? :S

I'd appreciate any help because i've been struggling to get this new computer up and running for about a week now.

Thanks, bye.

When i install i manage to get the drive partitioned and i manage to get the Windows files installed afterwards. However, upon rebooting to complete the install i recieve this message:

Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.

Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware.

Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information.

I've asked around and someone said that even though i had manage to get the drive partitioned, Windows had not installed the SATA drivers. Is this true? If so, then i must have wrongly integrated them. I just find it strange that the partition would be complete even though Windows did not have the drivers.

This is not a driver problem, but a hardware one. Normally Windows XP does not need any special SATA driver for the detection of a SATA hdd.

Do you really have a RAID array? If yes, is it "healthy" (shown at second boot screen)?

How many hdd's and what sort (SATA1/SATA2/IDE) do you have?

Please check your boot sequence within your BIOS. Your first booting hdd should be your Raid array with Windows XP installed onto drive C:. Have a look into your partitions (for example by using a tool like Partition Magic or Acronis Disk Director), if your fresh installed Windows XP really is on drive C.

Remove all USB sticks before you are booting.

Also, regarding this bit off info on your first post:

Then you can integrate the other nForce drivers (SMBus, Ethernet etc.) as "normal drivers".

What else needs to be integrated? I think this is perhaps where i went wrong. What apart from the LEGACY folder needs to be integrated?

If you have an nForce SataRaid system, you only have to integrate the LEGACY folder as TEXTMODE driver. This is essential, because otherwise your Raid array would not ne detected by Windows XP.

All the other nForce drivers (SMBus, Ethernet etc.) and the drivers for other devices (graphic adapter, printer etc.) are not really needed for a successful installation, but it is more comfortable, if you have already the newest drivers for all of your devices "on board", when you are creating a bootable XP CD with integrated drivers.

CU

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

I have a SATA2 HD, and it's the only drive i have connected, so it's the only one in the booting sequence. I have RAID disables in the BIOS. And i'm sure that Windows is installed onto the C: partition (my only partition). There are no USB sticks in my computer.

By the way, my HDD/mobo spec: My HDD is a Western Digital 250Gb SATA2 harddrive (7200RPM, 16Mb Cache). My motherboard is the DFI LanParty UT nF4 Ultra-D.

Edited by Ragnaroth

I have a SATA2 HD, and it's the only drive i have connected, so it's the only one in the booting sequence. I have RAID disables in the BIOS. And i'm sure that Windows is installed onto the C: partition (my only partition). There are no USB sticks in my computer.
If you don't have a Raid array, you should not use my guide (post 1 of this thread).

Look here, what I have written:

Attention: The following guide is only useful for users with an nForce Raid array!

Have you tried to boot off your Windows XP CD without hitting F6?

Edited by Fernando 1

I'm not sure whether or not i have RAID array, i'm don't know an awful lot about computers.
If you don't know, if you have a RAID array, then you don't have one.

As I have exactly the same mainboard as you, I will try to help you nevertheless:

At first step you should try to boot off the original Windows XP CD without pressing F6 or inserting a floppy. If XP detects your SATA disk, you may either format your just installed OS and reinstall XP without any integrated drivers or you can prepare a new nLited XP CD with the following changes:

1. You may integrate the SATA_IDE subfolder of your nForce chipset package 6.70 as PnP driver.

2. Don't integrate the nForce Raid driver (NVRAID.SYS).

If XP does not detect your SATA drive, do the following:

1. Integrate the LEGACY subfolder as TEXTMODE driver, but choose only the SATA driver (NVATABUS.SYS).

2. Don't integrate the Raid driver (NVRAID.SYS).

Good luck!

Fernando

Fernando 1 :thumbup you know what it cut be is ther a file that windows use to restart/shutdown. pleas help me
The EXE file for the shutdown of the computer is named SHUTDOWN.EXE. You find it within the folder WINDOWS\System32, when you are using Windows XP, and within the folder WINNT\System32, if you are using Windows 2000.

CU

Fernando

Fernando 1 :thumbup you know what it cut be is ther a file that windows use to restart/shutdown. pleas help me
The EXE file for the shutdown of the computer is named SHUTDOWN.EXE. You find it within the folder WINDOWS\System32, when you are using Windows XP, and within the folder WINNT\System32, if you are using Windows 2000.

CU

Fernando

im useing windows i works great but it wount boot and if i trye to open SHUTDOWN.EXE nothing happens it is a paine in the a** that i have to restart windows on my computor cut it be somthing in side my com on my motherbord ??

im useing windows i works great but it wount boot and if i trye to open SHUTDOWN.EXE nothing happens it is a paine in the a** that i have to restart windows on my computor cut it be somthing in side my com on my motherbord ??
Try to go to "Run.." and edit "cmd" (without the quotation marks).

Now opens the DOS box.

Edit the following: "shutdown -s", if you want to shutdown and "shutdown -r", if you want to reboot.

If this fails, I would do a new install of Windows XP with your nLited CD.

Are you sure, that your PSU is ok and strong enough?

Edited by Fernando 1

Try to go to "Run.." and edit "cmd" (without the quotation marks).

Now opens the DOS box.

Edit the following: "shutdown -s", if you want to shutdown and "shutdown -r", if you want to reboot.

If this fails, I would do a new install of Windows XP with your nLited CD.

Are you sure, that your PSU is ok and strong enough?

do i have to edit shutdown -r everetime i have to restart ???

I think my system is ok

And i do realie DONT whont to reinstalle windows :no: had that s...

My system:

MB: A8N-SLI Nforce4 Premium

CPU: AMD Athlon64 3500+ socket 939,b

RAM: 2x512 Kingston valueRAM

HD: 2x160 GB Samsung S-ATA II as Raid0

PSU: LC 6550G -Black V2.0 550W

VIDEO: Sapphire X800 GT