Integration of NVIDIA's nForce RAID and AHCI drivers

Fernando 1

Whoops: will edit post. my bad ^^;;

Should make more sense now, thought I was posting somewhere else lol.

I would just to like to point out even though my nv RAID BIOS ver. was less than 4.84 - its 4.81 I was able to use the latest nv RAID drivers - 6.70 and had no problems with XP seeing my setup properly.

Edited by Vash

Whoops: will edit post. my bad ^^;;

Should make more sense now, thought I was posting somewhere else lol.

I would just to like to point out even though my nv RAID BIOS ver. was less than 4.84 - its 4.81 I was able to use the latest nv RAID drivers - 6.70.

Thank you for your clearification.

Some other users had reported the same thing, but the big majority was not able to install the newest nForce SataRaid drivers with an nVRaid BIOS lower than 4.84. There is a big variety regarding this point between the different mainboard types.

CU

Fernando

EDIT: You should correct the link you posted. The mistake was, that you added the URL twice.

Edited by Fernando 1

Blah blah blah...
1. Both CAT files are within the driver package I have sent to you.

2. You should not remove the SCSI/RAID drivers.

1. I should always use a FRESH Windows XP image to work with. I had used a messed-up one (one that I had worked with the wrong drivers). Once I tried with a fresh one...

2. It worked!... ...but I ended up with no access to my DVD-RW as the IDE drivers were not there anymore. After looking deeper into the INF files, the NVIDIA IDE drivers seem to be a layer of drivers that go OVER the standard IDE drivers... weird. But it may also be because I forgot to not-remove the SCSI/RAID drivers. However, since I had integrated the Ethernet drivers too I managed to connect to the backup computer (and the internet) and import the needed drivers.

So it finally worked!

Now, I'll ghost this installation on a DVD and try the same thing with WinXP 64 bit. I should have tried with the 64 bit first but I had worries (not founded anymore) about drivers for my hardware.

Thank you!

P.S.: To anyone: I'd strongly suggest using CD-Rs rather than CD-RWs. I managed to do my tests with my CD-RW but some not too important files (USRobotics files come to mind) were unreadable during install. The same files were perfectly readable with my final CD-R version.

It worked!... ...but I ended up with no access to my DVD-RW as the IDE drivers were not there anymore. After looking deeper into the INF files, the NVIDIA IDE drivers seem to be a layer of drivers that go OVER the standard IDE drivers... weird.
Your conclusion is wrong.

As the nForce Serial ATA Controller and the nForce Parallel ATA (=IDEs/w) Controller uses the same driver named NVATABUS.SYS, both hardware devices and the related nForce driver are automaticly installed during XP setup.

The nForce IDE (=P-ATA) driver works well with almost all IDE devices (CD-ROM/DVD). I personally have never installed the MS standard IDE drivers.

When you get no access to your CD-ROM/DVD device (unless having flashed the newest firmware) after the installation of the nForce P-ATA driver, you can easily substitute this NVIDIA driver by the MS Dual Channel IDE Controller drivers:

1. Open the device manager and open the section IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller.

2. Rightclick on the Nforce Parallel ATA Controller und choose "properties"

3. Click "update driver"

4. Choose non-automatic search and enable "show compatible hardware devices"

5. Now you will see the 2 compatible devices, the nForce P-ATA( = IDE s/w) and the MS Dual Channel IDE Controller.

6. Choose the MS driver and reboot.

You can check the substitution of the IDE driver by having a look into the device manager > IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller. The nForce Parallel ATA Controller will not be listed anymore.

CU

Fernando

The short interruption of the hardware installation during Windows Setup showing a popup window "New Disk Drive Detected" is very common for me

Fernando I got this messege after installation...what does it mean?

I procceded with it and it installed Primery and Secondery IDE...

The short interruption of the hardware installation during Windows Setup showing a popup window "New Disk Drive Detected" is very common for me
This pop-up window is nothing to warry about. It appears in that moment, when the MS setup routine detects the correct hardware device (nForce S-ATA Controller).
Fernando I got this messege after installation...what does it mean?

I procceded with it and it installed Primery and Secondery IDE...

If you mean the swapping of the MS Dual Channel IDE Controller against the nForce4 Parallel ATA Controller, this is a total normal behaviour. After a reboot the exchange of the devices and drivers should be done and everything will be ok.

I tried the second method, because it seemed more "fail-safe" in theory:

if you just want to use the best and safest method for the later integration, you should take the SATARAID subfolder of the 6.70 package, but in this case you have to do some additional preparations within the IDE\WinXP directory of the driver package:

1) Open the LEGACY subfolder and copy the file NVATABUS.INF into the SATARAID subfolder.

2) Open the SATA_IDE subfolder and copy the files NVATA.CAT, NVIDE.NVU and NVCOI.DLL into the SATARAID subfolder.

Now your SATARAID subfolder of the 6.70 package is well prepared for the later integration of the SataRaid drivers.

- I copied all the required files into the SATARAID folder

- Cranked up nLite using a version of WinXP that I've used numerous times

- I selected 'ingegrate drivers' as well as 'create bootable cd'

- I added a driver, using the single method, and browsed to the SATARAID folder

- Selected the file 'nvraid.inf' and added in the text mode

- Just to be safe I tried loading 'nvatabus.inf' to which it told me was already loaded

- nlite compiled and then I made the ISO

- I booted from the CD, it recognized my RAID so I created the partition and began install

Got the BSOD right as the Windows logo loading screen came up, just as before. I am going to try the Legacy only method this time through.

My system:

AMD 64 Opteron 170

LanParty nF4 SLI-DR

(2) 250GB Hitachi Sata 3.0GB/s

Edited by ButtChew

post-91543-1144807740_thumb.jpg :thumbdown After looking through the forums for a little over a month now I finally decided to jump in here. I have a Supermicro AW4020c-t server with the H8DCE mb. I have been trying for a little over 6 weeks to get a raid 1 configured. I have tried nLite and a couple others without any luck. It blue screens right after the textmode just as it goes to the GUI install. If I disable the raid it installs but the cdrom starts giving read errors and won't load any drivers. I sent the board back once and when I got it back the same old thing. Supermicro said to box up the whole system and they will take a look at it . The system has 2 Opteron 246 cpu's - 4 gigs of samsung ddr400 memory - 4 hitachi sataII 160gb hdd - sony dvd+-wr and a 128mb geforce 5700 video card. Any suggestions before I crate it up?? BTW the raid rom is v4.81.

Any help is appreciated

TonyC

I have tried nLite and a couple others without any luck. It blue screens right after the textmode just as it goes to the GUI install. If I disable the raid it installs but the cdrom starts giving read errors and won't load any drivers. Any suggestions before I crate it up?? BTW the raid rom is v4.81.
Hi Tony,

I am sorry, but I have no experience yet with nVidia nForce Pro 2200 (CK804) and nVidia nForce Pro 2050 (CKIO4) chipsets.

Maybe this will help you:

1. There is a new BIOS for your MB dated april 7th. Did you try this new one?

2. As your MB has an nForce pro chipset, I would recommend the special pro drivers v. 6.70 from here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf_pro_winxp_6.70.html

Please report here about the results of your driver integration efforts. This may help other users with similar nForce chipsets.

CU

Fernando

Got the BSOD right as the Windows logo loading screen came up, just as before.
Did you try to boot in safe mode (by hitting F8)?

I can't boot into safe mode if Windows isn't installed. The BSOD comes right after all the drivers and files are copie, then it auto-restarts. Its half-way through the installation.

Got the BSOD right as the Windows logo loading screen came up, just as before. I am going to try the Legacy only method this time through.
I can't boot into safe mode if Windows isn't installed. The BSOD comes right after all the drivers and files are copie, then it auto-restarts. Its half-way through the installation.
Sorry, I misunderstood your first post.

If the installation fails at the beginning of the GUIMODE part, you probably have a hardware and not an nForce SataRaid driver problem.

You can verify this by trying to install XP via F6/floppy and using the nForce SataRaid drivers off the 6.53 package.

Have you put off all unnecessary devices?

No overclocking?

All cables ok?

Edited by Fernando 1

I followed all your instructions but it is saying that windows is not finding any drives. I have tried the new and old drivers but still no use. I have also tried using my xp pro and ONLY adding the driver no other mods but no go. Please help!

I followed all your instructions but it is saying that windows is not finding any drives. I have tried the new and old drivers but still no use. I have also tried using my xp pro and ONLY adding the driver no other mods but no go. Please help!
What are the details of your system?

Do you have a Raid array or a non-Raid Sata system?

Did you enable the Sata and Raid Controller within BIOS?

Are your drives detected by your BIOS?