Integration of NVIDIA's nForce RAID and AHCI drivers

Fernando 1

So anyway. After creating a stripped array of the raptors, I load up the windows installer. Windows sees them as one big drive and everything seems normal. I create a 50gb partition, format, and load setup files. Then, on the first reboot, all I get is a blank black screen. The CDROM spins up, but it stops there. It never gets to the actual install and configure portion of the setup.
Do you mean it stops after the install of the setup files and before the hardware installation begins?

Is the cursor on left hand top of the screen blinking?

Did you change anything else unless you have a new raptor?

Is your PSU strong enough?

Have you tested your RAM sticks (memory test)?

Do you have the correct voltage for your RAM?

My tip: Set BIOS timings at default (no overclocking), unplug all unnecessary hardware devices and try it once more. Maybe you should test it with a little enhancement of the RAM voltage (0,1 V).

It results in a blank screen after the first reboot durring an install. Right after formating and loading setup files, it reboots, then just goes to a blank screen. There is no cursor blinking (very important).

I had given someone one of my older raptors to use and just picked up a new one recently. So, besides the raptor, the system has been up and running for quite some time without problems. The new raptor has been tested as well, just not in a raid setup.

The PSU has plenty of juice. It's an Antec NeoPower 480.

I am overclocking but the system is most certainly a rock. I have installed Windows and linux countless times (I do a lot of software and hardware testing) on this system with the current overclock without any issues. I would like to avoid reseting the clocks and having to redo them if at all possible :)

I think I may have found something. This MS KB article seems to describe my problem perfectly.

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503

So maybe it's not slipstream related. I will try fixing the MBR and using WD Data Lifeguard to write zeros to both drives when i get home from the shop.

Edit: Oops, wrong KB link.

Edited by Tweakin

I had given someone one of my older raptors to use and just picked up a new one recently. So, besides the raptor, the system has been up and running for quite some time without problems. The new raptor has been tested as well, just not in a raid setup.
Before you gave your old raptor away, did you correctly remove your Raid array? If not, you really should clean your hard disk drives by low level formatting.

Good luck!

Fernando

Yup that was the problem. After writting zeros to both drives I tried again (with the version made from nlite 1.0rc6 and the nforce 6.70 drivers) and everything worked fine. Sorry to clog up the thread with useless information :)

Okay, so I noticed on DFI's site that they have new RAID Driver versions available dated 1/23/06. How would I go about installing these without reformatting and integrating them for the future?
New dated download links on the homepage of a mainboard producer does not mean, that the drivers are really new.

Can you give me the link to the drivers and the details of your system?

http://us.dfi.com.tw/Upload/Driver/NF4%20RAID%20F6.ZIP

Tweakin

Try it with a normal slipstreamed SP2 Setup-F6.

Fernando 1

"I am very curious about your test results."

Just finished a full nlite 1.0 rc6 install; modified-appropriate files copied from SATA and Legacy folders-6.85 integrated-4.3G bootable DVD-RW and it went like clockwork. The ATAPI drives responded-and are responding-very well, as good as or better than MS PNP. The RAID performance is trouble free and certainly no slower. Nero 7.0.14b is a complete bust still though and 6.6 will not do bootable DVD's using makeiso that ships with nlite-must use cdimage; all the file/folder names are in upper case-I really hate that; plus, of course, all the files/folders carry a 2002 time stamp. But, all installs well.

I do indeed have a Raid BIOS v. 4.84, although I'm using the 704-2 Beta Bios instead of the official BIOS 623-3 I've found the beta bios to be more stable for me. But don't get me started on how I had to loosen my RAM timings just to get stability when I wasn't even overclocking. I used to get blue screens a lot, STOP errors or IRQL errors until I adjusted my RAM timings. I left memtest run for hours and I would only get errors in tests 5 and 8 and I read somewhere that those were do to timings. But thats all behind me now. :D

Now that my system is stable I decided I would try for the next experiment: RAID. The SATAII RAID hardrive setup has been giving me headaches too, but I look at these things as a challenge. I reinstalled windows over the weekend with my slipstreamed nLite CD following Fernando's instructions to the letter and it worked like a charm. Thanks, Fernando! If only that were the end of things, but its not without new problems too, I now have that annoying "safely remove hardware" icon in the task bar, and I have some unknown devices in device manager that I'm pretty sure weren't there when I used the RAID drivers from the set included posted on DFI's nF4 page. The one I'm most concerned about is a PCI Bridge device, which I assume is related to SLI. But I only have one graphics card right now. Incidently those drivers that I used previsously are the same ones that Reinvented is talking about. They aren't new, the drivers have dates from 2004, but the .zip file was posted on 2006/1/23. I'm going to try to fix the issues above tonight and I'll post here with my results.

thornsword

Try updating driver using the ATK2000.INF from the ASUS Ai Booster Utility\Acpi\WIN2000 folder; or DFI's equivalent. Actually this integrates as PNP system using nlite. ASUS Probe also has it. It's for the PCI Standard ISA Bridge. I believe AMD's Cool&Quiet has this inf also; I do not think this particular inf is brand specific.

Just finished a full nlite 1.0 rc6 install; modified-appropriate files copied from SATA and Legacy folders-6.85 integrated-4.3G bootable DVD-RW and it went like clockwork.
Please let us know, which files you used from the LEGACY and the SATARAID subfolder.
I reinstalled windows over the weekend with my slipstreamed nLite CD following Fernando's instructions to the letter and it worked like a charm. Thanks, Fernando! If only that were the end of things, but its not without new problems too, I now have that annoying "safely remove hardware" icon in the task bar, and I have some unknown devices in device manager that I'm pretty sure weren't there when I used the RAID drivers from the set included posted on DFI's nF4 page. The one I'm most concerned about is a PCI Bridge device, which I assume is related to SLI. But I only have one graphics card right now. Incidently those drivers that I used previsously are the same ones that Reinvented is talking about. They aren't new, the drivers have dates from 2004, but the .zip file was posted on 2006/1/23. I'm going to try to fix the issues above tonight and I'll post here with my results.
There is no reason to install the old drivers or to reinstall XP:

1. The icon "safely remove hardware" is totally normal (it is shown for hot plugging devices).

2. You can easily install the missing "unknown" devices by giving them the correct nForce drivers. Look into the properties and write here what you see (example: DEV_0057 is the NVIDIA Network Bus Enumerator as a part of the nForce Ethernet controller).

CU

Fernando

Fernando

"You can easily install the missing "unknown" devices by giving them the correct nForce drivers."

The nforce drivers will not have this particular solution-for the PCI Standard ISA Bridge-at least not on ASUS boards; is DFI different that way?. My first install using nfirce4 awhile back now had this "unknown device". This is not an "old driver" but is the only driver for this device if that is what thornsword is referring to. If it is wrong WinXP will not install it.

As for the tray icon, I agree with you; it is necessary, except on generic one SATAII disc installs-no other discs attached-this is not hardware RAID. A lot of forum posts around the net I have read ask how to remove this-you can't.

"Please let us know, which files you used from the LEGACY and the SATARAID subfolder."

nvatabus.inf from legacy, nvata.cat, nvuide.exe, nvide.nvu, nvcoi.dll from sata_ide.

The nforce broadband is also quicker-far less DHCP errors in logs after reboot.

Edited by RickSteele

The nforce drivers will not have this particular solution-for the PCI Standard ISA Bridge-at least not on ASUS boards; is DFI different that way?.
I know, that users of some Asus boards have an "unknown device" within their device manager. You have already pointed it out. The problem can be resolved by putting the Asus mainboard CD into the CD drive. The missing driver will currently be found. But this has nothing to do with the integration of nForce SataRaid drivers.

With my DFI mainboard I normally have no trouble at all with "unknown devices", unless I have removed too many drivers by nLite.

Thank you for posting the driver details. If you think I should change my guide regarding this special point, please let me know.

CU

Fernando

Fernando

"I know, that users of some Asus boards have an "unknown device" within their device manager. "

All ASUS nforce4 have this requirement-to solve for unknown device-all else being equal; so, yes, this driver must be either integrated or installed afterwards to eliminate "unknown device". I just do it all with nlite. I have no experience with DFI so I did not know if you were the same; good enough.

As far as the A8N32-SLI Deluxe driver integration/requirements; it is the same as all the other SLI as far as that goes. I am, however, noticing some suttle improvements in system performance/reliability-especially concerning ATAPI; therefore, I would definitely recommend the 6.85 upgrade; my system is just humming along.

Live long and prosper

Edited by RickSteele

As far as the A8N32-SLI Deluxe driver integration/requirements; it is the same as all the other SLI as far as that goes. I am, however, noticing some suttle improvements in system performance/reliability-especially concerning ATAPI; therefore, I would definitely recommend the 6.85 upgrade; my system is just humming along.
Thank you for this clarification, Rick.

My guide is already customised to your findings.

Best wishes!

Fernando

Fernando 1, i have just 2 sata drives on raid 0 (Asus A8N SLI premium) connected to nvraid. I had no problem when i installed windows with a floppy but i what to find out something if i will ever reinstall.

Is it ok if i integrate just the sataraid folder and not mess with the legacy folder?

I don't plan to use any other drives other than those 2 on sata raid.

Edited by Tzeb

Fernando 1, i have just 2 sata drives on raid 0 (an8 sli premium) connected to nvraid. I had no problem when i installed windows with a floppy but i what to find out something if i will ever reinstall.

Is it ok if i integrate just the sataraid folder and not mess with the legacy folder?

No, that will not be ok. There are some important files missing within the SATARAID subfolder. You have to take either the LEGACY folder or the SATARAID with some extra files in it (see post No 1 of this guide).

You have written, that you have an AN8 SLI Premium, but who is the mainboard producer (ASUS or Abit)?