Integration of NVIDIA's nForce RAID and AHCI drivers

Fernando 1

here my test for xp32 on nf4 16x platform:

using xp pro sp1, added sp2 + all hotfix

using nForce4_x16_6.82_winxp2k_international: sataraid driver as txt and sataide as pnp.

No other driver plug on sata port, only 2 raptor set in raid0

Install fully complet, hotplug an other driver on nf4 sata port ok, reinstall of nf4 16x package, reboot ( third drive still plug) = bsod , same in safe mode.

here my test for xp32 on nf4 16x platform:

using xp pro sp1, added sp2 + all hotfix

using nForce4_x16_6.82_winxp2k_international: sataraid driver as txt and sataide as pnp.

No other driver plug on sata port, only 2 raptor set in raid0

Install fully complet, hotplug an other driver on nf4 sata port ok, reinstall of nf4 16x package, reboot ( third drive still plug) = bsod , same in safe mode.

Hello Blank,

thank you for your test results.

As I know, that you like testing, please try the following:

Take an original XP CD (without SP1) or an XP CD with integrated SP2 as origin, then let nLite do the same work as before.

I think, that your problem can have something to do with inteference between SP1 and SP2.

CU

Fernando

If your CD drive is OK, you should try to replace the nForce P-ATA Controller by the MS Standard Dual PCI IDE Controller.

The following I posted on nuhi's bug tracker blog after I could no longer burn error free dvd of any nature and through much trial and error and some help/suggestions posts in this thread have reached the following:

More info on this after 3 fresh installs, 3 different ways:

If you use cdimage in place of what ships with nlite 1.0rc5 all your folders are dated 2002.

If you integrate modified nforce4 sataraid 6.82 drivers on the ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe using the Legacy folder from the 6.70 and 3 files from the sata_ide folder neither Nero 6.6 or 7 will write any DVD's and some CD's without error.

A fresh install integrating the 6.82 as is and allowing the MS ATAPI drivers to load at first logon and using Nero 6.6 cured all; plus performance is better than a modified 6.82 install-reading from 2 DVD-RW simultaneously is faster and uses less resources.

Nero 7 is extremely finicky/unstable; Nero support is no longer what it once was so Nero 6.6 is the way to go for now coupled with the MS ATAPI.

Nero 7, on my machine at least, will not burn error free DVD's; bootable or not using either 6.82 incarnation and multitasking 2 read operations simultaneously after integrating modified; vs unmodified- 6.82 is not good.

I lost 30% of my files on one DVD due to Nero 7 corrupting them during burning-fails write verification with either driver integration.

Once the nforce sw drivers are installed rollback is buggy at best and caused me to do a fresh install.

I am now using nlite 1.0rc5 and makeiso that it ships with error free; 6.82 unmodified have been integrated and DVD-RW performance is exemplary.

If you integrate modified nforce4 sataraid 6.82 drivers on the ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe using the Legacy folder from the 6.70 and 3 files from the sata_ide folder neither Nero 6.6 or 7 will write any DVD's and some CD's without error.

A fresh install integrating the 6.82 as is and allowing the MS ATAPI drivers to load at first logon and using Nero 6.6 cured all; plus performance is better than a modified 6.82 install-reading from 2 DVD-RW simultaneously is faster and uses less resources.

I am now using nlite 1.0rc5 and makeiso that it ships with error free; 6.82 unmodified have been integrated and DVD-RW performance is exemplary.

Hi RickSteele,

I have to thank you for your post, because you pointed out the interdependency between the IDE drivers and the burning results of Nero Burnig ROM.

As a consequence of your post I would like to correct my guide regarding nForce4 SLI x16 systems, but before I do this I have to crearify something.

You propose to integrate the SataRaid drivers off the 6.82 package as it is (without NVATABUS.INF) and to replace the nForce PATA drivers by the MS ATAPI ones after the successful installation.

My questions:

1. Is my summary of your findings correct?

2. Did you integrate just the original SATARAID subfolder of the 6.82 package or did you copy the content of the SATA_IDE subfolder into the SATARAID one prior to the integration?

3. How did you replace the nForce PATA by the MS ATAPI driver (real install or driver update within the device manager)?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

CU

Fernando

Hi , help the noob :)

I am not on raid first off but i get the same problems you guys had. Trying to set up a western digital 160gb s-ata2 on a dfi lanparty nf4 sli-dr xpert. I enabled sata port in bios and disabled Raid like fernando suggested and still get endless reboots/bluescreens at startup.

ideas ?

-simon

I am not on raid first off but i get the same problems you guys had. Trying to set up a western digital 160gb s-ata2 on a dfi lanparty nf4 sli-dr xpert. I enabled sata port in bios and disabled Raid like fernando suggested and still get endless reboots/bluescreens at startup.
My guide is dedicated for users with an nForce Raid system.

As you have no Raid, you should not integrate the SataRaid drivers as textmode drivers.

Try to install XP without any nForce Sata/IDE drivers (no F6, no integration of these drivers by nLite).

CU

Fernando

Yes i integrated sp2 into xp and i could not boot into safe mode.

everytime i try booting i get this : stop: 0x0000007B (0xf7a2b528, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Edited by trKK

Fernando 1

1. Is my summary of your findings correct?

I extracted the 6.82 drivers as downloaded from NVIDIA and integrated the sataraid folder as it extracted-absolutely no modifications.

The MS ATAPI drivers install after final reboot before first logon-popup PNP dialogue and you select "let me choose....", then the "primary IDE...."-you select Ok, then a second PNP dialogue; same procedure only this is for "secondary IDE..."; now the MS drivers are installed and Windows XP finishes booting to the desktop. They're labelled unsigned but, in Device Manager in driver details they show certified with cat files sooo.... However, they work great.

Because the 6.82 contain no Legacy-ATAPI-folder there are no nforce sw drivers for your ATAPI devices in this build. If you go into safe mode and do a manual install of the 6.82 you are asked if you want to install the NVIDIA sw dr; if you hit "yes" install goes through the motions but when you reboot you still have the MS ATAPI installed. nforce ATAPI pending in a future release I suppose.

Thanks for your interest and hope this clarifies...

Rick

Yes i integrated sp2 into xp and i could not boot into safe mode.

everytime i try booting i get this : stop: 0x0000007B (0xf7a2b528, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Try the following:

1. Take default BIOS settings (no overclocking).

2. Use only 1 RAM stick.

3. Unplug all not needed hardware components (audio card, usb devices etc.)

3. Try to boot with a normal (not nLited) XP CD with integrated SP2. Don't use F6/floppy method.

What happens?

I extracted the 6.82 drivers as downloaded from NVIDIA and integrated the sataraid folder as it extracted-absolutely no modifications.

The MS ATAPI drivers install after final reboot before first logon-popup PNP dialogue and you select "let me choose....", then the "primary IDE...."-you select Ok, then a second PNP dialogue; same procedure only this is for "secondary IDE..."; now the MS drivers are installed and Windows XP finishes booting to the desktop. They're labelled unsigned but, in Device Manager in driver details they show certified with cat files sooo.... However, they work great.

Thank you for the clarification. I will mention your experience within post 1 of this thread.
Because the 6.82 contain no Legacy-ATAPI-folder there are no nforce sw drivers for your ATAPI devices in this build.
That is not totally correct. Within the SATA_IDE subfolder of the 6.82 package there is a file named NVATA.SYS. This driver is nothing else as the nForce IDE (P-ATA) driver. Edited by Fernando 1

Fernando 1

"That is not totally correct."

True, but, it is not installed-invisible in the unmodofied 6.82 on the A8N32-SLI Deluxe-no inf.

One other thing, I also integrated the sata_ide as PNP in all 3 installs with no adverse reactions because I read somewhere that if you wish to install just SATA-no RAID-you will have to reinstall to gain the functionality if sata_ide not already present from a previous install. I can not confirm this because I only run RAID but, if it does no harm.................

It seems to me that for now NVIDIA wants the standard MS PNP ATAPI drivers to install, you know?....I mean this being the first X16 release and generic for both Intel and AMD.

Edited by RickSteele

One other thing, I also integrated the sata_ide as PNP in all 3 installs with no adverse reactions because I read somewhere that if you wish to install just SATA-no RAID-you will have to reinstall to gain the functionality if sata_ide not already present from a previous install. I can not confirm this because I only run RAID but, if it does no harm................
Good, that you have added this information.

I don't think, that your install would have succeeded without the additional integration of the SATA_IDE subfolder.

Reason: There is no file named NVATABUS.INF or NVATA.INF within the SATARAID subfolder, but such an INF file is absolutely necessary for a successful installation of Windows XP onto an nForce SataRaid system.

CU

Fernando

Fernando 1

"I don't think, that your install would have succeeded without the additional integration of the SATA_IDE subfolder."

I've done both ways and makes no difference-the install succeeds either way and the end result-MS ATAPI drivers install without incident. The contents of the F6 package-which I have also done-from ASUS; are the same as the 6.82 sataraid folder from NVIDIA.

I know it makes no sense and believe me with the 1009 BIOS concerns cropping up every now and then it was actually 5 fresh installs before I got 3 that were consistant and, therefore, credible.

The MS drivers are already in SP2 and ATAPI simply installs as PNP.

The untouched 6.82 sataraid will install nlite integrated with no modifications everytime-all other things being equal-and no manual install in safe mode is required afterwards. My system is fast and stable using BIOS 1009-it took 4 fresh installs prior to all this and some fidgetting in CMOS to get this release BIOS to do the job-ACPI issues mainly. The mobo is, afterall, still relatively new-a few kinks to work out; I think ASUS and NVIDIA have to talk more.

I hope all this helps.

Edited by RickSteele