Integration of NVIDIA's nForce RAID and AHCI drivers

Fernando 1

This thread is the best. Got it working without using the 6.82 Nvidia Driver files. I just used the legacy drivers and the files from the 6.70 package and everything is now working fine. Didn't need to update the bios either. :)

Thanks Fernando for all the help

Fernando: veryyyyyyyyyy good stuff. I was tearing my hair out trying to get xp or 2k3 installed on this new nforce4 board with a raid0 setup.. how the heck can nvidia and ms allow crap like this to go on? This is some of the newest stuff out there and it doesnt even work without quite a few hours of surfing and some winbloz imaging skills...

anyways, Fernando, YOU ARE DA MAN!!! :thumbup

* cracks a beer for fernando * whenever yer thirsty, and in the states.. heh B)

tnx

-tp0d

Heh, Fernando- the beer in Australia is better than the beer in America ;)

(But the beer in Germany beats anyone's I know...)

This thread has been very interesting to me as I am using a Shutle SN25p w/AMD-64 (Nvidia NForce4c chipset)... and hope to run RAID 0. The motherboard in this machine should not be very different from any other NF4-based mobo. I know of noone else using this combination successfully until I got onto msfn.org, and wish I could report success, or gather more of a clue from the msfn forums (pls excuse my ignorance)- I have only just started using nLite!

The problem I have, after following the instructions (thank you *very much* Fernando) which took me through using nLite to create an XP unattended install disk, is that (trying the fresh disk out) Windows setup does not enter the second stage, it simply finishes the 'loading files' part (the first section where it prompts for additional floppy-based drivers), displays 'Starting windows' and then a few seconds later blue screens. Have not even got to the user agreement or the drive utility- so think this must be driver related.

I am using nForce 6.70, made the changes specified in Fernando's first post exactly.

Should I try using nlite RC1.05 or 1.06? I believe my version (RC1.04) is the current release as there is nothing mentioned about later versions than this I can find (but I haven't gone looking for a CVS on this yet). I am unsure if the text (txtsetup.oem) file changes discussed with Fernando and others a little way back in this thread could be part of the problem? I can't seem to find clear (to me) details, but am re-reading all that for the 3rd time...

Perhaps posters are talking about RyansVM when saying these versions?

AFAIK the only drivers reported working on my rig (as reported on this forum are the manufacturer supplied ones; v6.53 (I think) - as reported by the member Q-Fireball in this thread http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversion/index.php/t51244.html)

Many thanks for any pointers... I'm pretty stumped trying to work out what text file changes are necessary, or if I should be using RC1.05, RC1.06 or just give up and use the old driver (which is 'reported as unstable' in the Shuttle forums)

Edited by speedyz

GUI looked for nvide.nvu-"could not copy...."- available in either the SATA or Legacy Folders-6.70-when using the sataraid folder for nlite txtmode integration. In addition to nvcoi.dll, nvatabus and nvata.cat one should also copy nvide.nvu to the sataraid folder before nlite integration. Without nvide.nvu my DVD-RW's were neither recognized or assigned a drive letter by PNP and the drivers had to be installed manually.

I've followed the instructions given in this post on how to create an unattended installation of Windows XP Pro (using nlite), with the NForce4 SATA Raid drivers etc....everything was fine until windows tried to boot for the first time, It just keeps rebooting itself. When I try and boot into safe mode, the last thing on the screen is \Drivers\mup.sys which is exactly what was happening before.

Any ideas?

[Edit]

System Configuration:

N4SLI-A9

AMD64 3200

1Gb memory (dual channel mode)

2x120gb SATA Drives on Channel 1

Raid 0 Array is set as bootable, and is healthy

After windows loads mup.sys it loads the registry. If one of your hives is corrupt, it may reboot at this point without an error message. I have had this happen before due to bad SATA cables causing a machine to reboot at (roughly) weekly or bi-weekly intervals, and not working out the cause before this was happened.

I'd bet your registry is not being built correctly during install. Try other options in nlite perhaps, but it could be a driver problem for all I know...

GUI looked for nvide.nvu-"could not copy...."- available in either the SATA or Legacy Folders-6.70-when using the sataraid folder for nlite txtmode integration. In addition to nvcoi.dll, nvatabus and nvata.cat one should also copy nvide.nvu to the sataraid folder before nlite integration. Without nvide.nvu my DVD-RW's were neither recognized or assigned a drive letter by PNP and the drivers had to be installed manually.
Thanks Rick, am trying this now. Your case didn't sound like BSODs though... are you using NF4 on AMD?

Heh, Fernando- the beer in Australia is better than the beer in America ;)
I like VB and XXXX!
Should I try using nlite RC1.05 or 1.06? I believe my version (RC1.04) is the current release as there is nothing mentioned about later versions than this I can find (but I haven't gone looking for a CVS on this yet).
The latest version is nLite 1.0 RC4.
AFAIK the only drivers reported working on my rig (as reported on this forum are the manufacturer supplied ones; v6.53 (I think)
Why don't you integrate them? After you have succeeded with the install, you can try to update the drivers (if you have a Raid BIOS version 4.84 or higher).
In addition to nvcoi.dll, nvatabus and nvata.cat one should also copy nvide.nvu to the sataraid folder before nlite integration. Without nvide.nvu my DVD-RW's were neither recognized or assigned a drive letter by PNP and the drivers had to be installed manually.
Other users had resolved their problems by deleting the file NVIDE.NVU (look here: http://www.hardwareforums.com/16279-post-5/ ).

After having googled I found this interesting link for Shuttle SN25p users (maybe it is useful for you): http://forums.sudhian.com/messageview.cfm?...&threadid=83035

One of the advices is to raise the RAM voltage to 2.8 V.

CU

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

Well it worked... the bloody thing worked. Absolutely brilliant stuff; the nlite devs, fernando, Rick- you guys are absolutely unbelievable... I'll report back with my findings in terms of array reliability, etc.

I am not 100% sure it was the nvide.nu file I needed added in, but if you need to know Fernando I can try it again...

So far, I have boot, all items installed, healthy raid, disks partitioned the way I want... and very nice perfromance indeed...

Edited by speedyz

Well it worked... the bloody thing worked. Absolutely brilliant stuff; the nlite devs, fernando, Rick- you guys are absolutely unbelievable... I'll report back with my findings in terms of array reliability, etc.

I am not 100% sure it was the nvide.nu file I needed added in, but if you need to know Fernando I can try it again...

These are very useful informations.

Please report about your further findings. We should know, for whom the NVIDE.NVU is important and for whom not.

EDIT: The NVIDE.NVU is neither a driver nor a coinstaller file. It contains the following informations (extracted from the 6.70 package):

RemoveDevice PCI,VEN_10DE,hdc,{windir}\inf\mshdc.inf

DelOemInfs nv*,Version,Provider,%NVDA%,Version,Class,hdc,NVIDE.ntx86,Include,mshdc.inf

DelBoot {sysdir}\nvmidesm.inf

DelBoot {sysdir}\nvmhdc.inf

DelBoot {sysdir}\nvmatabus.inf

DelBoot {sysdir}\nvuide.exe

DelBoot {sysdir}\nvcoi.dll

UninstallService nvata

UninstallService nvata64

; also uninstalling nvraid driver

; Disable SCSIAdapter for now

; call RaidDriver

[RaidDriver]

UninstallService nvraid

UninstallService nvatabus

UninstallService nvrdx64

UninstallService nvatax64

RemoveDevice PCI,VEN_10DE,SCSIAdapter

sleep 500

RemoveDevice ACPI,_NVRAIDBUS,SCSIAdapter

DelOemInfs nv*,Version,Provider,%NVIDIA%,Version,Class,hdc,SourceDisksFiles.x86,nvatabus.sys,0

DelOemInfs nv*,Version,Provider,%NVIDIA%,Version,Class,hdc,SourceDisksFiles.x86,nvatax64.sys,0

DelOemInfs nv*,Version,Provider,%NVIDIA%,Version,Class,SCSIAdapter,Version,Catalogfile,nvraid.cat

DelOemInfs nv*,Version,Provider,%NVIDIA%,Version,Class,SCSIAdapter,Version,Catalogfile,nvrdx64.cat

DelOemInfs nv*,Version,Provider,%NVIDIA%,Version,Class,SCSIAdapter,Version,Catalogfile,nvata.cat

DelReg HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\NVRaidService

DelReg HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDataBase\*_nvraidbus

Del {sysdir}\drivers\nvatabus.sys

Del {sysdir}\drivers\nvatax64.sys

Del {SysDir}\drivers\nvraid.sys

Del {SysDir}\drivers\nvrdx64.sys

Del {sysdir}\nvraid.sys

Del {sysdir}\nvrdx64.sys

Del {sysdir}\nvraidco.dll

Del {sysdir}\idecoi.dll

As the file contains only informations about the uninstall of other files, I am really surprised, that it might be necessary for the install of the SataRaid drivers. I have very often installed the 6.70 drivers by using the SATARAID subfolder (plus 3 files, but without the NVIDE.NVU) and never got any problem or "missing NVIDE.NVU" pop-up message during the install.

Notice: The PCI device VEN_10DE is the NVIDIA Memory Controller.

Edited by Fernando 1

Thanks Fernando, again...

Re NVIDE, I am loading burning software to see what the effects are (will report). I have reloaded the 6.70 driver pack (after successful windows install) to install the NVRAID tools software, about 70 dlls and 2 exe's, as well as making sure everything else is the way it should be. During Windows setup the RAID started sychrnoising as soon as Windows setup loaded the driver; pretty neat- as I was able to do the unattended install without any hassles whilst this was happening. Having horrible experiences with sophtware RAID (silliconimage, etc.) and hacking Linux kernels prior to the newer modules, I was not so keen about this and was glad to have got down to building a CD with the appropriate drivers- now I can boot the Recovery Console and access the array should I ever need to! Without you I couldn't have done this- and unfortuantely Shuttle has been shipping bad SATA cables on my box, resulting in a lot of bad posts all over the place about the 6.53 RAID not working. Researching that led me here and now I know enough to be happier- ie not just that 6.53 was probably ok after all but that my DRP will work :) so that is good. Plus I don't have a floppy drive in this new box anyway, so Windows setup's ancient F6 driver load routine was a PITA to do also :). More soon...

"Please report about your further findings. We should know, for whom the NVIDE.NVU is important and for whom not.

I've always included that file but missed doing so for the DVD image created for the erroneous install.

I've extracted the ASUS 6.65 F6 drivers downloaded from their website for comparison and the nvu file is included.

These drivers install and work error free also.

One other anomoly I've noticed is at the end of any successfully integrated setup I always find the nforce 4 drivers integrated enumerated in system32\ReinstallBackups; as if they were uninstalled and reinstalled again during setup; yet no errors during setup, or any setup messages, and the windows setup error log is empty. Further, if I choose "hide default" in winnt.sif "Local Area Connection" in Network Connections, and in the registry, is labelled "Local Area Connection 2". When "Provide Default" is selected this does not occur; ie: only Local Area Connection is present.

The internet works fine in both cases.

"Please report about your further findings. We should know, for whom the NVIDE.NVU is important and for whom not.

I've always included that file but missed doing so for the DVD image created for the erroneous install.

I've extracted the ASUS 6.65 F6 drivers downloaded from their website for comparison and the nvu file is included.

These drivers install and work error free also.

One other anomoly I've noticed is at the end of any successfully integrated setup I always find the nforce 4 drivers integrated enumerated in system32\ReinstallBackups; as if they were uninstalled and reinstalled again during setup; yet no errors during setup, or any setup messages, and the windows setup error log is empty. Further, if I choose "hide default" in winnt.sif "Local Area Connection" in Network Connections, and in the registry, is labelled "Local Area Connection 2". When "Provide Default" is selected this does not occur; ie: only Local Area Connection is present.

The internet works fine in both cases.

Hi RickSteele,

thank you for your interesting report.

As a reaction of the discussion about the NVIDE.NVU file I have replenished my guide in that way, that it might be useful for some users to add this file too, if they take the SATARAID instead of the LEGACY subfolder.

Concerning the ReinstallBackups directory I can affirm your discovery, but I found there even other drivers, which I had integrated by nLite too (for example the NVIDIA Forceware and the monitor drivers). So I think, that this is nothing to warry about.

The differences of the designations of the "Local Area Connections" are only cosmetic.

CU

Fernando

So I think, that this is nothing to warry about.

I agree but, just to close this up with a little footnote, I use Terabyte partition and backup software. When integrating using the Legacy folder Image for DOS performance-which translates to HDD performance-is very seriously impared until the nforce4 setup is run. This does not occur when using the sataraid folder with the files aforementioned copied.

Oh, by the by, this is a great thread-much appreciated by all; thanks

small correction to this part>

Users with an nForce4 AMD/Intel SLI X16 mainboard may take the SATARAID subfolder of the new nForce chipset driver package 6.82 (download it from here), but they have to add the NVATA.CAT and the NVCOI.DLL (from the SATA_IDE subfolder) and the NVATABUS.INF (from the LEGACY subfoder of the 6.70 package) prior to the integration.

Actually the NVCOI.DLL file is already in the sataraid folder of the 6.82 drivers - same date, same size

Edited by -.-PhanTom-.-