Integration of NVIDIA's nForce RAID and AHCI drivers

Fernando 1

Question:

And will this have the same effect as copying the files you specified into the sataraid folder of 6.70 BEFORE integrating with nLite?

Also if I try the copy files into sataraid folder method, since you say it is better (which I want) just not the 'easiest' .. is that all I have to do? No editing of any files or anything?

Just to take the LEGACY folder is the easiest method. A little bit better for the install of a Microsoft OS is it to have the CAT files within the same folder. So if you copy the NVATABUS.INF, NVCOI.DLL and NVATA.CAT into the SATARAID folder and then do the integration of this completed SATARAID folder, it might be easier for MS to take the correct drivers. No editing is necessary!

I think this method makes the most sense to me, to make sure I have the right drivers ... it is just doesn't seem optimal to be using the legacy drivers!?

However, why does this not work when using the floppy? I had tried copying the contents of the sata_ide folder onto my F6 floppy with the contents of the sataraid folder and then installing from a standard non-slipstreamed WinXP Pro w/SP2 .. and I got the same symptom ...reboot loop after the GUI install portion.

Another note ... have you tried pulling in the nvata.inf and nvata.sys from sata_ide into the sataraid folder then modifying the txtsetup.oem file in sataraid to refer to these files instead of nvatabus.inf and nvatabus.sys? Then we can delete the nvatabus.sys from sataraid folder.

The reason I suggest this is I did an MD5 checksum on nvata.sys and nvatabus.sys and they are identical!!

I think this [sATARAID modified] method makes the most sense to me, to make sure I have the right drivers ... it is just doesn't seem optimal to be using the legacy drivers!?
As you have already realized, both folders contain exactly the same SataRaid drivers!

The NVIDIA nForce SataRaid drivers are not easy to install - you are right. But after several weeks of intensive tests and hundreds of failed installations I found an easy and safe way to integrate them into a bootable XP CD (see post No 1). Why do you make it even more complicated than it is? Thousands of owners of a pc with an nForce SataRaid system got Windows XP installed by using my guide within this thread. Take the LEGACY folder or the SATARAID folder (with the 3 added files) and just do it. If you have an nForce Raid system, this method should work for you too. Between the methods "LEGACY pure" and "SATARAID plus 3 files" there is only a small difference in the way , but no difference in the result.

However, why does this not work when using the floppy? I had tried copying the contents of the sata_ide folder onto my F6 floppy with the contents of the sataraid folder and then installing from a standard non-slipstreamed WinXP Pro w/SP2 .. and I got the same symptom ...reboot loop after the GUI install portion.
The answer is given within my first post of this thread:
Even if they have a floppy drive and integrate the newest nForce SataRaid or PataRaid drivers by the F6-method, they get bluescreens or endless reboots at the end of the installation. The reason for this strange behaviour is the fact, that the actual NVIDIA Raid drivers are still not WHQL-certified and the XP installation routine do not trust them. During the second (GUIMODE) part of the installation the correct (but uncertified) NVIDIA drivers are replaced by wrong (not working) Microsoft PCI-IDE standard drivers.
Additional I should mention, that my guide only works this easy way, when you do it with nLite v. 1.0 RC1 or higher. Nuhi has implementated a method into nLite, which prevents the installation of the wrong MS drivers during the GUIMODE part of the installation.
Another note ... have you tried pulling in the nvata.inf and nvata.sys from sata_ide into the sataraid folder then modifying the txtsetup.oem file in sataraid to refer to these files instead of nvatabus.inf and nvatabus.sys? Then we can delete the nvatabus.sys from sataraid folder.
You may try it, but why? It is much more complicated than the way I propose. If you have a SataRaid system, there is no cause to replace the "normal" Sata/Pata driver NVATABUS.SYS by the non-Raid driver NVATA.SYS.
The reason I suggest this is I did an MD5 checksum on nvata.sys and nvatabus.sys and they are identical!!
They are not totally identical, because they have different names and this has a good reason: the file NVATABUS.INF contains the install informations for the NVATABUS.SYS, while the NVATA.INF is specially designed for the NVATA.SYS. So both files need each other and may not be replaced crossover.

Everything clear now?

CU

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

....If you have an nForce Raid system, this method should work for you too. Between the methods "LEGACY pure" and "SATARAID plus 3 files" there is only a small difference in the way , but no difference in the result.

This is absolutely correct ... I did the SATARAID plus 3 files method in conjuction with nLite last night and it worked flawlessly!!

I would like to thank Fernando1 and the authors of nLite for making this possible ... you are digital saints and may you have uptimes of a 1000 years!

thanks a lot Fernando i spent 2 days trying to get windows xp to work with my nv raid and read about a dozen people telling me what to do and your idea is the only one that works thatnks a lot !!!

You are welcome!

CU

Fernando

Omg Fernando I'm reading this post and hoping that this is what will work for me.

I just put together the following system this morning: DFI NF4 SLI-DR Expert, 4400+ Toledo, 2 gig OCZ dual chan ram, 2 x 74 gig Raptor HDD, and some other fun stuff. Anyway, after i got it to boot up I tried to set up RAID for the hdd's using this manual, http://www.angrygames.com/nf4raid-1.htm but when i got to the part where you put in the floppy that came with the DFI board to install the SATA raid drivers, i got a message saying the oeminf.txt file (or something like that) was corrupt. So i got another copy of an updated set of drivers and a different file in that set was corrupt.

So then I came across this and I hope this is what my problem is. I'm going to try it in the morning. As I understand it I just need a copy of winxp (i have it), nlite (i'll get it) and the up-to-date drivers (i'll get them). And them burn an .iso using nlite and the first post instructions.

My only question is, will your method be a substitute for the initial process which requires the sata raid drivers on a floppy?

Thanks so much and keep your fingers crossed for me.

My only question is, will your method be a substitute for the initial process which requires the sata raid drivers on a floppy?
Yes - no need of pressing F6 and no need for any floppy!
and keep your fingers crossed for me.
I will do it for the next 24 hours.

Please give a message, if you succeeded :) or not :( ,

CU

Fernando

Well my situation is different from others who have posted here so far (and I'm glad!). It turns out that I had a bad floppy that came NF4 SLI Expert. So while I was waiting for nLite to finalize, a buddy sent me his copy, and it worked!

But I've read this post front and back, and actually understand some of it now. Sorry for the false alarm and for wasting space/time. Keep up the great work!

Still keeping my fingers crossed (just in case),

Arli

Edited by Arli

Hiya guys/girls

Im haven a few problems with this nlite.Well i dont really know if its nlite that is the problem.

Ive managed to use nlite and intergrate the nvidia drivers and create a iso xp disc.But when i use that disc to run install nothing happens at the boot from cd/dvd prompt.whats up?.Im not all that clued up on computers so basic english/simple terms would be great.

Thanks Mike

Edited by tritonute

Im haven a few problems with this nlite.Well i dont really know if its nlite that is the problem.

Ive managed to use nlite and intergrate the nvidia drivers and create a iso xp disc.But when i use that disc to run install nothing happens at the boot from cd/dvd prompt.whats up?.Im not all that clued up on computers so basic english/simple terms would be great.

You have to set the CD drive as first bootable device within BIOS. After having done that, boot and when you are prompted to press any key of your keyboard, do it. Then you are able to install the OS.

If you can't see "press any key ...." during the booting, you did something wrong during burning your bootable CD. When you take Nero, just go to "Recorder", choose "burn image" and point to the nLited ISO file.

Hiya Fernando 1

Thanks heaps!!!

Ive got it sorted now.I was doing everything right intergrating nvidia drivers and creating the bootable cd.My problem been i was using the windows wizard to burn my cd ,as i dont have nero and apparently my dvd writer isnt supported by Nero.Anyway i ended up downloading Imgburn program and using that,very cool.

I also made sure that the cd was first bootable devce like you said.Im so pleased.

Thankyou so much "You DA the MAN"!! B)

Nlite ROCKS

Hi,

My hardware is:

motherboard: asus A8N-VM CSM

processor: AMD 64x2 4400+

memory: crucial 1GBx2 DDRAM

hd: western digital WD2500KS (250GB SATA300) x2

dvd: plextor PX-716SA

I've been trying to install WindowsXP Pro onto the HDs in a RAID1 configuration.

I've got the nvidia raid settings in BIOS, and i've configured it in the boot setup.

When I don't install any extra drivers, the system finds no drives to install on (makes sense).

When I try to install after shutting off the RAID controller, I can install onto any one drive (not what I want, but I'm almost ready to take it).

When I try installing the nvidia drivers during setup, I always get a STOP: message (blue screen, no other text BUT the STOP code).

When I try installing the nvidia drivers by following your instructions at the top of this thread (6.70 drivers, grabbing the Legacy Folder, WinXP PRO no service packs) I get a stop message, but with the full "Windows has stopped to protect your system ... yadda ... yadda ... yadda" and a different stop code.

I'm getting a bit frustrated by this, and have recieved no help from ASUS (although I did notice they decided to use a different chip for RAID controller on their new A8N32 board).

My current choices are:

1) boot from a spare PATA drive I have around.

2) use the SATA drives a single units (then why did I bother buying two?)

3) buy a SATA RAID controller to sit in a PCI or the PCIex1 slot (so I can leave the PCIex16 slot open for a graphics bump in the future).

4) pull my hair out getting this to install the way I want it to (and the way it should).

Help and suggestions would be most appreciated.

I've been trying to install WindowsXP Pro onto the HDs in a RAID1 configuration.

I've got the nvidia raid settings in BIOS, and i've configured it in the boot setup.

When I don't install any extra drivers, the system finds no drives to install on (makes sense).

When I try to install after shutting off the RAID controller, I can install onto any one drive (not what I want, but I'm almost ready to take it).

When I try installing the nvidia drivers during setup, I always get a STOP: message (blue screen, no other text BUT the STOP code).

When I try installing the nvidia drivers by following your instructions at the top of this thread (6.70 drivers, grabbing the Legacy Folder, WinXP PRO no service packs) I get a stop message, but with the full "Windows has stopped to protect your system ... yadda ... yadda ... yadda" and a different stop code.

Hi Mpastreich,

before you can start with the install of an OS onto a Raid array, you have to ensure, that

a. both Hdd's have not been used before (brandnew) or made "totally clean" by low level formatting,

b. the Raid has been built as it should (Raid activation in BIOS, configuration of the RAID via F10 inclusive activating as boot disk) and

c. that the RAID is the first bootable hard disk device (to do within BIOS).

First sign of a successful configurated RAID is, when you see, that it is "healthy" on the second boot display.

If you have a floppy drive, you can test the TEXTMODE part of the XP install via F6 (if you have a Raid BIOS version 4.84, you can take the files from the SATARAID subfolder of the 6.70 package, but you have to add the following 3 files: NVATABUS.INF, NVCOI.DLL and NVATA.CAT, you find them in one of the other 2 IDE\WinXP subfolders).

If Windows Setup detects your Raid system as 1 disk, you can nearly be sure, that the driver integration method (post 1 of this thread) will work on your system too.

Then you can start with the install of your nLited CD with integrated nForce SataRaid drivers.

CU

Fernando

EDIT:

1. Don't touch your healthy Raid array by shutting off the Raid Controller and trying to install something on one of your Sata disks.

2. You should integrate SP2 into your nLited CD.

Edited by Fernando 1

Hi Mpastreich,

before you can start with the install of an OS onto a Raid array, you have to ensure, that

a. both Hdd's have not been used before (brandnew) or made "totally clean" by low level formatting,

b. the Raid has been built as it should (Raid activation in BIOS, configuration of the RAID via F10 inclusive activating as boot disk) and

c. that the RAID is the first bootable hard disk device (to do within BIOS).

First sign of a successful configurated RAID is, when you see, that it is "healthy" on the second boot display.

If you have a floppy drive, you can test the TEXTMODE part of the XP install via F6 (if you have a Raid BIOS version 4.84, you can take the files from the SATARAID subfolder of the 6.70 package, but you have to add the following 3 files: NVATABUS.INF, NVCOI.DLL and NVATA.CAT, you find them in one of the other 2 IDE\WinXP subfolders).

If Windows Setup detects your Raid system as 1 disk, you can nearly be sure, that the driver integration method (post 1 of this thread) will work on your system too.

Then you can start with the install of your nLited CD with integrated nForce SataRaid drivers.

First off, thanks for the speedy reply.

a. They are both brand new drives (although one of them was then used to test installing the OS without RAID)

b. F10: The array is build, and shows up as "healthy", however no matter what I do the "" bootable option is greyed out, and the bootable column shows up as "N/A". I have however been able to set it as the first boot device in the BIOS boot menu.

"MediaShield IDE ROM Bios Version 5.50" (assuming this is the Nvidia RAID bios)

I tried the bootfloppy method since the machine currently has a floppy dangling out the side of it (yeah for 10 years of doing this sort of thing and having parts lying around ... even if I had to go to Radio Shack to get floppies) using both the whole of the "Legacy Directory" and the 6.70 directory with those files you listed added in from the sata_ide directory. Note: there isn't a NVATABUS.INF file in the sata_ide directory, just a nvata.inf file so I added that.

In both cases I got a BSOD when it tries to start up the GUI portion of the installation (the bottom status line reads "Starting windows..." the keyboard lights flash once, the monitor goes to black, and comes back up with a BSOD stating "A problem has been detected and Windows has been shutdown to protect your computer. ... STOP 0x0000007B ( ... )"

Suggestions?

EDIT:

tried integrating SP2 into the directory where nlite had integrated the Legacy drivers then burned the installation to an ISO. Same BSOD as above.

Edited by mpastreich