Integration of NVIDIA's nForce RAID and AHCI drivers

Fernando 1

AFAIK you need a board with Raid5 and at least minimum 3 Sata2 hard disk drives. Here are the details: http://www.nvidia.com/object/feature_raid.html

If your system is ready for NVIDIA mediashield and if you have confgurated a healthy Raid5 array, you should be able to integrate the SataRaid drivers as I have described in post No 1.

CU

Fernando

Err... uh... I only have two SATA-I drives, setup as RAID1. I've already got the drivers installed. That was #1 on the priority list, as I don't have a floppy drive installed on this box. ;) Now I'm trying to add all the other junk and give it a few tweaks. ;) The NVIDIA installer dumps mediashield on when you load the "storage driver". Ofcourse I speak of nforce4... something that has the raid controller onboard...

NVIDIA\nForce4_amd_6.70_winxp2k_english\IDE\WinXP\raidtool

In other words, no option via nvidia installer to choose that or not. Ends up in the program files dir, AFAIK. Listed in the NVIDIA program group.

I can probably come up with an installer on my own given enough time, but was hoping to throw it on a disk before it goes out the door. As I said before, kinda new to making custom windows disks. More of a linux kind of person. Still having to figure out how to get all the installers already built, to work correctly for me using RunOnceEx. ;) An MSI for this would be great, but if it don't exist yet, it don't exist. It runs without any registry changes, right out of the dir, so I suspect it won't be too hard to make *something* work...

I have tried this solution to no avail, but I am afraid that I may be doing something incorrectly. Here are my system specs:

4.84 Bios, ACPI Enabled, Windows XP w/SP2

AMD Athlon x2 4200

DFI Lanparty Ultra NF4 SLI-DR

2 x Western Digital Raptor 74gb

2 x Hitachi Deskstar 250gb SATA 3gb/sec

2gb G.Skill DDR500 Ram

PC Power & Cooling 510watt PS

I downloaded nLite RC3 and tried to make several bootable iso's, but the program would freeze at the last stage and never create the iso. I instead downloaded RC1 and made 5 cds - using drivers from nforce 8.12, 6.66, 6.83, 7.13. With each CD I got a new error.

8.12 drivers - I would get a bluescreen and reboot during the windows installation

6.66 drivers - During 2nd half of Windows installation, when it says "Installing Hardware" a window would appear saying that it had found a mass storage controller and the installation would freeze

6.83 drivers - Installation would complete. After install before windows screen would get the BSOD

7.13 drivers - Don't remember what happened with these, but they didn't work

I have spent a good 10-15 hours trying to figure this out and I'm going insane. I only have 1 PC, so to check this thread I have to disable the raid array, install Windows on a single raptor drive, burn new isos, then reinitiate the raid array, only to find that the isos don't work.

The first post is great, but it is lacking very specific detail. Can you please list EXACTLY what steps I need to take, what chipset drivers to use, what unattended install settings I need to enable, etc. There was one post that went through step by step that was very helpful. Unfortunately I followed it, and had incorrectly edited the winnt.sif file and it did not work. I don't really understand the whole oemfile thing either. Could someone explain that in further detail?

Thanks so much guys for your continued effort and perserverance through this nvidia driver nightmare.

Edited by ke0

The first post is great, but it is lacking very specific detail. Can you please list EXACTLY what steps I need to take, what chipset drivers to use, what unattended install settings I need to enable, etc. There was one post that went through step by step that was very helpful. Unfortunately I followed it, and had incorrectly edited the winnt.sif file and it did not work. I don't really understand the whole oemfile thing either. Could someone explain that in further detail?
I will try to help you, unless it's not easy, because I believe, that some of your problems have more to do with your system (especially with your RAM-settings or with your 4 hard disk devices) than with nLite.

Before I can give you any advices, I need to know the following:

1. Do you have an overclocked system? If yes, is the memtest OK?

2. Is your Raid array connected to the nForce Raid Controller or to the Silicon Image Raid Controller?

3. Which of your hard disk devices are connected to the nForce Raid controller?

4. Which hard disk device (single drive or Raid array) is your boot device?

5. On which hard disk device is your partition C (boot partition)?

6. Is your Raid array "healthy"?

I will try to help you, unless it's not easy, because I believe, that some of your problems have more to do with your system (especially with your RAM-settings or with your 4 hard disk devices) than with nLite.

Before I can give you any advices, I need to know the following:

1. Do you have an overclocked system? If yes, is the memtest OK?

2. Is your Raid array connected to the nForce Raid Controller or to the Silicon Image Raid Controller?

3. Which of your hard disk devices are connected to the nForce Raid controller?

4. Which hard disk device (single drive or Raid array) is your boot device?

5. On which hard disk device is your partition C (boot partition)?

6. Is your Raid array "healthy"?

1. No it is not overclocked

2. All drives are connected to the nForce controller. From there I made 2 arrays, a raid 0 bootable (for OS using raptors) and a raid 1 (for files & storage)

3. All devices are connected to nForce controller

4. My raptors are the boot device and are connected to slots 1 & 2. My hitachi drives are connected to 3 & 4.

5. The C: is the raid 0 raptor array

6. Yes, when both arrays are created they appear as "healthy"

I have tried this solution to no avail, but I am afraid that I may be doing something incorrectly. Here are my system specs:

4.84 Bios, ACPI Enabled, Windows XP w/SP2

AMD Athlon x2 4200

DFI Lanparty Ultra NF4 SLI-DR

2 x Western Digital Raptor 74gb

2 x Hitachi Deskstar 250gb SATA 3gb/sec

2gb G.Skill DDR500 Ram

PC Power & Cooling 510watt PS

I downloaded nLite RC3 and tried to make several bootable iso's, but the program would freeze at the last stage and never create the iso. I instead downloaded RC1 and made 5 cds - using drivers from nforce 8.12, 6.66, 6.83, 7.13. With each CD I got a new error.

8.12 drivers - I would get a bluescreen and reboot during the windows installation

6.66 drivers - During 2nd half of Windows installation, when it says "Installing Hardware" a window would appear saying that it had found a mass storage controller and the installation would freeze

6.83 drivers - Installation would complete. After install before windows screen would get the BSOD

7.13 drivers - Don't remember what happened with these, but they didn't work

I have spent a good 10-15 hours trying to figure this out and I'm going insane. I only have 1 PC, so to check this thread I have to disable the raid array, install Windows on a single raptor drive, burn new isos, then reinitiate the raid array, only to find that the isos don't work.

Thanks so much guys for your continued effort and perserverance through this nvidia driver nightmare.

remove one of your memory chips and then try to install windows...w/ Nforce based systems...this usually worked for me....

Can you please list EXACTLY what steps I need to take, what chipset drivers to use, what unattended install settings I need to enable, etc. There was one post that went through step by step that was very helpful. Unfortunately I followed it, and had incorrectly edited the winnt.sif file and it did not work. I don't really understand the whole oemfile thing either. Could someone explain that in further detail?
It is not as difficult as you mean and you don't need to understand the "OemInfFiles" thing, because it is already implemented into nLite.

I suppose to do the following:

Create a bootable XP CD by using nLite RC3. If you have trouble with this version, use RC1. Take the nForce driver package 6.70 or 6.67 and integrate the content of the LEGACY subfolder as textmode driver (see post No. 1). All the other things within nLite don't matter, but if you are anxious, do nothing else than integrating these nForce SataRaid drivers. At least create the ISO file and burn it.

Then try the installation of XP from your nLited CD. If the installation fails, unplug both Hitachi drives and try again the installation. If you still have problems (BSOD), you should try to enhance the RAM voltage a little bit (0,1 V) and try it again.

Good luck!

Fernando

EDIT: The tip from rnielsen151 was a good idea. Try it with one of your nLited CD's, before you begin the new nLite processing.

Edited by Fernando 1

Can you please list EXACTLY what steps I need to take, what chipset drivers to use, what unattended install settings I need to enable, etc. There was one post that went through step by step that was very helpful. Unfortunately I followed it, and had incorrectly edited the winnt.sif file and it did not work. I don't really understand the whole oemfile thing either. Could someone explain that in further detail?
It is not as difficult as you mean and you don't need to understand the "OemInfFiles" thing, because it is already implemented into nLite.

I suppose to do the following:

Create a bootable XP CD by using nLite RC3. If you have trouble with this version, use RC1. Take the nForce driver package 6.70 or 6.66 and integrate the content of the LEGACY subfolder as textmode driver (see post No. 1). All the other things within nLite don't matter, but if you are anxious, do nothing else than integrating these nForce SataRaid drivers. At least create the ISO file and burn it.

Then try the installation of XP from your nLited CD. If the installation fails, unplug both Hitachi drives and try again the installation. If you still have problems (BSOD), you should try to enhance the RAM voltage a little bit (0,1 V) and try it again.

Good luck!

Fernando

EDIT: The tip from rnielsen151 was a good idea. Try it with one of your nLited CD's, before you begin the new nLite processing.

6.66 didn't have a legacy subfolder, but 6.67 did so I am trying those. I have the cd burned and will let you know how it goes.

YES!! IT WORKED!!!!!!! I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!

I'm not sure what it was, the 6.67 drivers or the extra stick of ram. I just have to remember to do this same routine if I am ever to format again.

YES!! IT WORKED!!!!!!! I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!

I'm not sure what it was, the 6.67 drivers or the extra stick of ram. I just have to remember to do this same routine if I am ever to format again.

Congratulations!

CU

Fernando

6.66 didn't have a legacy subfolder, but 6.67 did so I am trying those. I have the cd burned and will let you know how it goes.
You are right, the 6.66 nForce chipset package does not contain a LEGACY subfolder (users with a SataRaid system should take the PATARAID subfolder). I meant the 6.67 package - my bad. Fortunately you have taken the right one nevertheless.

I am using an MSI MS-7185 K8N SLI X16 motherboard, which according to the nVidia driver page needs the 6.82 driver.

When I expand it, it only has a sataraid direction.

Patariad is no longer there.

Only raidtool, sata_ide, and sataraid directories exist.

Everything I have been reading shows a need to either us the pataraid drivers, or to integrate the nvatabus.inf into the sataraid directory.

I am kind of stuck as to how to build my install disk given the new structure of the updated driver file.

I have been beating this thing for over a week, and am beginning to see the bsof in my sleep.

Anybody having success with nForce4 and the kn8/sli/x16 chipset?

I am using an MSI MS-7185 K8N SLI X16 motherboard, which according to the nVidia driver page needs the 6.82 driver.

When I expand it, it only has a sataraid direction.

Patariad is no longer there.

Only raidtool, sata_ide, and sataraid directories exist.

I have never tried the 6.82 driver package (because I don't have a SLI 2x16 mainboard), but I suppose, that you should do the following:

Copy the files NVATA.INF, NVATA.SYS, NVCOI.DLL and NVATA.CAT from the SATA_IDE into the SATARAID subfolder.

Then you can integrate the content of the SATARAID subfolder as Textmode driver by using nLite.

If you are a little bit anxious, put the content of the SATARAID subfolder (with the added files) onto a floppy disk and try to install Windows XP by using the F6 method. If your Raid array is correctly detected, you can stop the installation and create your bootable XP CD with integrated nForce SataRaid drivers by using nLite.

Good luck!

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

Hi all,

Complete noob on Unattended Install here. This thread is great :thumbup , and exactly what I am looking for (no floppy on my Shuttle) but very long now :whistle: .. I apologise if I am asking for a clarification already answered earlier.

I have a shuttle SN26P with an Nforce4 SLI chipset and running 2 WD SATA drives in RAID0. CD/DVD drive is plugged in IDE port. I want to reinstall from scratch with a slipstream CD, and since I dont have a floppy... I have to get it right first time or I'll be in trouble.

So... just to be sure I get it right, in post #1 with the instructions, I find something slightly confusing. It says that if we choose to use the SATARAID folder, we have to copy the NVATA.INF, NVATA.SYS, NVCOI.DLL and NVATA.CAT.

Now, I am not going to use the SATARAID folder, I am going to trust Fernando 1 and use the LEGACY folder of 6.70 but just to be sure: Can you confirm it is normal that there is no NVATA.INF, NVATA.SYS or NVATA.CAT in this LEGACY folder? Also, in the LEGACY folder there is no NVRAID.CAT file but there is one in the SATARAID folder. Not needed either when using LEGACY folder for integration? (am just slightly confused since in one case with SATARAID it seems we need those, in the other with LEGACY they supposedly are not needed since they are not there).

Thx.

So... just to be sure I get it right, in post #1 with the instructions, I find something slightly confusing. It says that if we choose to use the SATARAID folder, we have to copy the NVATA.INF, NVATA.SYS, NVCOI.DLL and NVATA.CAT.

Now, I am not going to use the SATARAID folder, I am going to trust Fernando 1 and use the LEGACY folder of 6.70 but just to be sure: Can you confirm it is normal that there is no NVATA.INF, NVATA.SYS or NVATA.CAT in this LEGACY folder? Also, in the LEGACY folder there is no NVRAID.CAT file but there is one in the SATARAID folder. Not needed either when using LEGACY folder for integration? (am just slightly confused since in one case with SATARAID it seems we need those, in the other with LEGACY they supposedly are not needed since they are not there).

Trust me, you don't need to copy any file, if you just integrate the LEGACY folder of the package 6.70. You might be confused, because NVIDIA did not create LEGACY and PATARAID subfolders within their new packages as in v. 6.82 and furthermore they changed some file names, which makes it more difficult to pick up the right and necessary ones for the correct driver integration(NVATA.INF has the some function as NVATABUS.INF, NVATA.SYS has the same content as NVATABUS.SYS, CAT files are not really needed, when you take the LEGACY folder).

CU

Fernando