Unusual Problem

Pirate®

Hey guys I would really apprecaite your help in anyway. Well recently all of a sudden after I turned my pc on and logged in, I notice that I'm unable to open any of my applications. Nothing only Internet Explorer. My program icons won't show instead its a file icon. My system restore wont run and I ran my pc in safe mode and Im still having the same problem. I really hope someone can help fast because I want to get my msn messenger running and other applications running. Please Help Me.BTW I'm 15 and dont know much about computers so go easy.

~Pirate

It looks as if all the locations of your programs have been moved or deleted. Does it give a message along the lines of "Unable to locate 'example program'" when you click a program. The message might ask you to locate it where it is.

You may want to try and look in the directory C:\Program Files and see if the programs are still there. (Go My Computer>C:)

I don't know what to do however if all the program files are gone from Program Files. Maybe the above steps will help you diagnose the problem for someone else.

This is what I mean when I say that I cant open any of my applications

Pic of desktop http://img39.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitled4tv.gif

please help

holly ... :-O

I would say something very strange has happend. the process csrss.exe is a only once but normally there are about 4 or 5 of them, so I would say that only reinstall would help but...

first tell, what adapter card you removed? try to run chkdsk, maybe when turnin' off some files get "scrambled"

something in the startup process get bad...there is only windows update in the tray.

I dont think that the files where removed or deleted... and as for the adapter card I dont know about that one beacuse my dad removed it without uninstalling it. Reload XP is the last thing on my mind. Do you guys think its a virus?

I dont think that the files where removed or deleted... and as for the adapter card I dont know about that one beacuse my dad removed it without uninstalling it. Reload XP is the last thing on my mind. Do you guys think its a virus?

I don't mean removed/deleted only badly written to HDD when shutting down windows... it happens sometimes (who didn't see it, then you a lucky man)

from the screenshot... you have ezantivirus so if you updated it regulary, there should be no problem but you can try another antivirus to be sure

Edited by tester_pedro

Navigate to C:\Program Files\ and let me know if you can see the folders

As opposed to clicking on the shortcuts in the programs menu.. what happens when you click directly on the exe itself?

Chilifre when I click on them directly they dont work

by the way here are the errors I get

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/images/exefiles.JPG

and

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/images/exefiles2.JPG

I know that it is not letting you run exe files but here is a shot in the dark

see if you can open regedit.exe (start -> run -> regedit)

make sure your registry value in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\Shell\Open\Command

The REG_SZ entry in the right-hand pane should read:

"%1" %*

Quotes included, and a space before the second %

this entry tells XP how to handle exe files

Edited by chilifrei64