Edit registry via GPO

I'm new to GPO/ADS and I need to push out a registry change to approx 300 users. I know there is a way to do this using ADS but I can't find.

This is the path:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\Default Outlook Profile\0a0d020000000000c000000000000046

THis is the KEY:

001f0324

This is the NEW value:

hex:48,00,3a,00,5c,00,61,00,72,00,63,00,68,00,69,00,76,00,65,00,2e,00,70,00,73,00,74,00,00,00

Any comments and suggestions will be highly appreciated!!

:thumbup

Not sure what version of outlook you are using but if you download the Office resource kit for your version there should be .adm files you can import.. (if you install the resource kit it will automatically put them into the c:\windows\inf folder) and you can import them into your group policy by using Add or remove templates..

The one you would be interested in is OUTLK11.ADM (if it is Office 2003) then you would just have to navigate to

User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 -> Miscellaneous -> PST Settings -> "Default Location for PST files

and change your location to c:\

You know.. also.. to really answer your question

Quote: "How do I edit a registry key via GPO"

GPO's are essentially registry settings.. so anything that is contained in the registry can be modified by creating custom adm templates.

This site got me rolling.. hopefully it will shed some useful information for anyone else.. Once you learn how to do this it gets easier and very powerful.

http://thelazyadmin.com/index.php?/archive...s.html#extended

• 2 weeks later...

I have used that tool before but after playing with GPO's and regsitry for a while, i found that this tool(atleast the parent tool to this product) was more expensive for what it was worth.

I can accomplish the same results with group policy and default user profiles

• 11 months later...

Hi. I have a problem related with this post...

i have made an .adm file but this sheet don't work.

I have already download nuts.exe. I want to create some key in regedit on around 40 computers.

And for that, i made an .adm file. But this just work if the key was created on "Software\policies". But I don't Want it!!!

This is what I need...

CLASS USER

CATEGORY "Configurações da JPM"

CATEGORY "Alunos"

POLICY "Privatedir do Alunos"

KEYNAME "Software\J. P. M. & Abreu, Lda\Alunos"

PART "privatedir" EDITTEXT

DEFAULT "P:\JPM\Alunos"

VALUENAME "privatedir"

END PART

END POLICY

END CATEGORY

END CATEGORY

This is how this work

CLASS USER

CATEGORY "Configurações da JPM"

CATEGORY "Alunos"

POLICY "Privatedir do Alunos"

KEYNAME "Software\Policies\J. P. M. & Abreu, Lda\Alunos"

PART "privatedir" EDITTEXT

DEFAULT "P:\JPM\Alunos"

VALUENAME "privatedir"

END PART

END POLICY

END CATEGORY

END CATEGORY

The problem is KEYNAME, i know... But i don't understand what problem is...

Can somebody help me??

You could call a .reg file from a login script via gpo. the current user key can be edited by a client w/ out admin rights. We do it all the time. Just put the reg file in the netlogon directory.

if you need more info just let me know. We try to avoid .adm files as much as possible. Maybe just an opion but I believe that policies are best keep simple and as static as possible.

You could call a .reg file from a login script via gpo. the current user key can be edited by a client w/ out admin rights. We do it all the time. Just put the reg file in the netlogon directory.

if you need more info just let me know. We try to avoid .adm files as much as possible. Maybe just an opion but I believe that policies are best keep simple and as static as possible.

Hi,

Newbie here.

Need some help.

i will be migrating 200 user to exchange 2003.

is there a way where i can use a script or gpo to set the outlook 2003 setting without being at the wkstation itself or my user to click on any setting.

Please advice

Hi,

Newbie here.

Need some help.

i will be migrating 200 user to exchange 2003.

is there a way where i can use a script or gpo to set the outlook 2003 setting without being at the wkstation itself or my user to click on any setting.

Please advice