Playing .mov and .rm in MCE

Its possible to get Media Player 9 to play real and quicktime files, anyone have any ideas as to how to get Media Center to play these files?? AFAIK media center uses media player to play stuff so its theoretically possible. Failing that, does anyone know a good converter cos the ones Ive tried are rubbish!!

Its possible to get Media Player 9 to play real and quicktime files, anyone have any ideas as to how to get Media Center to play these files?? AFAIK media center uses media player to play stuff so its theoretically possible. Failing that, does anyone know a good converter cos the ones Ive tried are rubbish!!

For MOV files get Quicktime Pro. You can export as AVI.

go to my second post here http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=34838&hl=

copy the code from .CMD Version paste it into notepad save as mce.cmd and double click it, this will register mov rm etc as ASFFile or "Windows Media Video Files". restart, then try playing the files in mce again.

[edit] as the post below says you will need to install quicktime and real alternative first.

Edited by DigeratiPrime

Thanks guys, I'll try those suggestions. I used to use Winamp for these files but now it would be good to be able to watch thru MCE cos Im lazy and like the remote!!

I tried a bunch of converters a while ago and the results were less than satisfactory but I'll give QT pro a look

Well XP MCE should run that app fine but what I meant was can we get the media center application itself to play these file types. Youre confusing MCE the operating system with Media Center. MCE is basically XP pro with a facelift and a few extras, whereas Media Center is an application that comes with MCE and is basically a front-end for Media Player 10 that allows you to use the remote. I checked that link and VLC dosent support Real files anyway, for the same reason no other player does - its a propriety format owned by Real Networks and they want you to buy/use thier player only. Ok Media Player Classic works but Im not sure if it legally does so!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Media Player Classic is completely legal, to the best of my knowledge, but isn't the solution you want. I've hacked Media Player to play APE files for God's sake, there's even a thread floating around here about it...

In any event, Windows Media Player can become the default player for MOV and RM files in a very simple fashion.

Step 1, install Real Alternative and choose NOT to install the Media Player Classic. It will then make Windows Media Player the default player for RealMedia files.

Step 2, do the same with Quicktime Alternative.

Great, huh? :thumbup

• 4 weeks later...

hi guys. checkout quick time alternative and real player alternative they both come with a direct draw layer... i can run both file types from within media center 05 without exiting the program. :thumbup if you have problems finding them do a google for the kazaa lite codec pack they are included in the mega pack.

thats good, but in case no one noticed my post it had the answer all along.

Go to this topic:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=34838&hl=

You'll find the top post has a directshow filterpack to play more media types in wmp, the second post choose either the Reg or Cmd file paste it into notepad save as something.reg or cmd respectively, and double click it to associate those media types with wmp/mce.

• 2 months later...

Need some clarification please -

Prior to reading this post - I was trying to find a way to play Quicktime MOV files in WMP10 (and eventually in MCE 2005). Via google, I ran across 'Quicktime Alternative v1.64' which was mentioned earlier in this post. I loaded the program and everything was fine - MOV files played in WMP10 and in MCE w/o any apparent problems.

However, I've now discovered a problem - after playing a MOV clip in MCE2005 - I am unable to play a VIDEO_TS DVD program immediately afterwards. I get a message "MISSING COMPONENT - A required media center component is missing. Please contact your hardware manufacturer for assistance."

If I close MCE and then return to the desktop, and then reopen MCE - the DVD will play. Once I play a MOV clip - I again lose the ability to access content in VIDEO_TS. Note, I do not need to log off or reboot the system - only restart MCE to fix the problem.

Have just tried installing the reg patch described earlier in this post - but no change in behavior, and did not notice any differences in behavior (wonder if I need to perform a registry update when installing Quicktime Alternative).

Was wondering if anyone has experienced this behavior and / or can offer a suggestion. If not, I'll have to try converting the MOV clips to a more MCE friendly format.

Thanks -

Edited by Spinman