Help Needed,

pilo7

Hello to all,

I am new to the boards but fthrjack is my best mate and he told me to post my problem here, so here goes, after upgrading my recent power supply to hopefully bring and end to amount of in game crashes, my computer has now started doing the blue screens of death on me, this is the codes that were given and if any body can point me in the right direction i would be hugely gratefull,

here are the codes,

0x0000000d1 (0xfa950f78, 0x000000002. 0x00000000 0xf81ae855)

also this was the address code that was also given

f81ae855-f815f000

If anyone could bring any light to this I would be ever grateful to all.

Thanx.

well before we can start we need to know what OS your using, when you did your PS it started right after that? Did you add any software or anything that you can think of. Also this subject needs to be moved but not knowing what OS your using we need your responce, then the thread will be moved in the right section. This section is for just chit chat.

BTW welcome!

Im running windows xp, and yes it was the same the message, as before, but since i posted the topic i have taken out my sound card and removed the drivers and this has made my gaming a lot smoother and most of the jerkiness has gone, and it didnt crash on the game that i was playing, that crashed in the same place twice, it didnt happen this time, but as yet i am not totally covinced this will cure the problem, also I had this problem before i changed my power supply but after putting in a 450 watt all seemed to be well for the last few weeks untill today, with the old ps, my comp would just restart when i was in the middle of a game, and though I think the ps did cure the restarting i dont think it has cured as yet the blue screens, I will be keen to see how taking out the sound card will change this matter as already i can see a definate change in the quality of performance in game, and has reduced jerkiness dramatically.

Thanx again for your help and your time for helping me, as any suggestion would be greatly apreciated.

pilo7,

Well pilo...those codes you've listed are memory addresses and normally the cause of the blue screens are a result of an application wanting to access a specific address that may be already occupied therefore causing the blue screen. The thing that strikes me as odd is the fact that it is happening on an XP system, which manages memory much more efficently, so it may very well be a bad address on the RAM. Let's see what others say before we make the assumption that you have a bad stick of RAM

aLSO COULD BE irq'S. yOU SAID YOU TOOK YOUR SOUND CARD OUT AND DID SOME MAINTENCE ON IT. cHECK IN YOUR BIOS TO MAKE SURE YOU DONT HAVE SPECIFIC irq'S ASSIGNED. tHEY SHOULD BE SET TO AUTO IF YOU HAVE THAT OPTIONS.

oh dear god all capps..sorry to lazy to retype it all.....

anyways try that and see what they are, also check your irq's in XP and see whats being shared. How about your sound card and video card? what are they and what drivers are you using? (name of driver and version date)

well I had a look at the IRQ's in bios and there are set to auto, also today i tried running of one of the sticks of ram, I have 2 x 256 sdram, and also the same problem occoured but now it is giving me different codes when I get the blue screens, so i tried to reistall windows xp but just as it is about to start i get a blue screen, this problem is getting very serious indeed and i am now thinking about getting a new motherboard, my graphics card is a g force 4 using detonater drivers, version 40.72 my sound card is a c-media 8738 using drivers 1.0.0.28 but now i am using my on board sound, i am gona still try and see if i can reinstall windows xp, as now i feel that what ever i do or try it will not be cured, and i think eventually i will have to update my mother board, thanx for your help guys and if you still might think you can help me or suggest something then please put your ideas forward to me, thanx guys

check your MB bios and see if there a new version, maybe flashing it might help. You said you reinstalled XP and you still get BSOD when you first booted up. Well reinstalling wont help. Its a hardware problem. Finding out which one it is is the job for you. You got this withyour old PS and your new PS, you tried both sticks of RAM running them seperate but still get BSOD. Ok you said you pulled Sound card out and still got BSOD. So lets find a cheep video card and try that?

yes i tired that also, i have on board graphics card and that is the one i tried, but i will try and flash my bios, as xp might conflict with it somehow, thanx again for your help i will tell ya how i get on with the bios flashing, thanx again,

Hi...I know I'm new here, but just adding from own experience. I was getting a lot blue screens last month that turned out to be from a bad stick of RAM. I ended up getting lots of help with everyone but one of my friends at the pc shop said blue screens are almost always memory related...either the RAM, the buffer of the hard drive, or the CPU. I hope you are able to find the cause of yours easily...I love a challenge but I also love a smooth running pc.

Hi...I know I'm new here, but just adding from own experience. I was getting a lot blue screens last month that turned out to be from a bad stick of RAM. I ended up getting lots of help with everyone but one of my friends at the pc shop said blue screens are almost always memory related...either the RAM, the buffer of the hard drive, or the CPU. I hope you are able to find the cause of yours easily...I love a challenge but I also love a smooth running pc.

he swapped 2 sticks of RAM and still had troubles. I think if the bios doesn't help and you've done everything as posted above I would have to concur with fthrjack.

I concur with XPerties that this is a hardware problem. What are the system specs? Motherboard manufacturer, CPU? Maybe I missed this info, but I do not see the full system specs.

Did you actually try just one stick of RAM at a time? One of the two sticks could be defective. I know you took one out, but did you take both out and try both in RAM slot No. 1 (one at a time)? Are the RAM the same specs?

The tech is correct about most BSOD with those error codes being memory related. I would rule out the virtual memory since you reinstalled Windows more than once. Are you doing a clean installation each time or something else? WinXP will shut itself down or error with the BSOD if a program will cause a critical error!

Like FthrJack said, you have replaced everything, so maybe it is the motherboard. Your CPU fan is running correctly? The heatsink for the CPU is okay? Maybe the CPU is getting hot because the heatsink is installed wrong? Look closely at both the CPU fan and heatsink alignment.

in the past few month Pilo has added and replaced the following parts:

CPU

CPU fan and i think heat sink

PSU

Graphics card

stick of RAM

HDD

id say theres not much left wouldnt you?

the motherboard is a cheap one, he didnt build the PC himself at the time of buying, that should say it all about the quality of the board. rest of his pc is pretty decent specs. infact i think ill have to pinch a HDD off him when hes not looking :)

Didnt some reviews of your board say it was unstable and not up to much other than surfing the net Pilo? i bet the FSB on it is pants, wouldnt mind having a look into it myself, post the make and model up so i can go dig some stuff up on it.

I want to know more about that RAM. Both sticks were tried seperately in Slot 1 right? Is there any debri in the RAM banks? Just a thought.

Sounds like FthrJack is spot on about the board. Hell, if FthrJack cannot fix it then none of us can really.