Is Application Layer Gateway Service needed?

Link21

It says that the Application Layer Gateway service provides support for third party protocol plugins for Internet Connection Sharing and the Windows Firewall?? But is it needed for just using the Windows firewall without any third party plugins or using the Internet Connection sharing feature?

The reason I ask is because the Application Layer Gateway service runs an extra process ALG.exe where as almost all other services depeend on the same process. So it would be good to disablke it to have one less provess running. I have disabled it before, and I didn't appear to have any problems. But then I did a search on it, and I found things that said it was required for the Windows Firewall?? But the Windows Firewall seemed to work fine with it disabled.

So, is he Application Layer Gateway Service really needed for just using the Windows Firewall? Or is it only needed if you use one of the computers to provide Internet Connection Sharing to all other computers on the network or use third party plugins??

Edited by Link21

I saw this question once in another forum. Those guys were going on and on and on about this file being an trojan, a virus, spyware or just a plain window-file.

Nobody knew actually.

IMO it is just a MS file to keep the Firewall running. You're right about that.

If you disable the Windows firewall, you will notice that the ALG.exe will disappear

from the taskmanager.

Or you can permanently disable (at startup) it through SERVICES.msc..

edit:

But please don't believe any info about this file being a virus or a nasty trojan.

I know, some info on the net can be very convincing, but it's all bull...

Edited by interminded

I saw this question once in another forum. Those guys were going on and on and on about this file being an trojan, a virus, spyware or just a plain window-file.

Nobody knew actually.

IMO it is just a MS file to keep the Firewall running. You're right about that.

If you disable the Windows firewall, you will notice that the ALG.exe will disappear

from the taskmanager.

Or you can permanently disable (at startup) it through SERVICES.msc..

edit:

But please don't believe any info about this file being a virus or a nasty trojan.

I know, some info on the net can be very convincing, but it's all bull...

But is it needed for just using the Windows firewall?

The Application Layer Gateway (shows up as ALG.exe in task manager) is needed for the Windows Firewall to run. Plain and simple. No ALG.exe - no Windows Firewall.

If you want to try some alternatives, have a look at the Sticky in the Software hangout section of the forums regarding firewalls. There are several freeware options available that all do a better job than the Windows Firewall.

The Application Layer Gateway (shows up as ALG.exe in task manager) is needed for the Windows Firewall to run. Plain and simple. No ALG.exe - no Windows Firewall.

If you want to try some alternatives, have a look at the Sticky in the Software hangout section of the forums regarding firewalls. There are several freeware options available that all do a better job than the Windows Firewall.

I have disabled the Application Layer Gateway service before, and the Windows Firewall service was still started when on automtic. And I could still open the Windows Firewall and add specific programs to allow exceptions to. Why would I be able to do that if it's needed for the Windows Firewall to run?? Is it needed perhaps for the Windows firewall to function properly, but I just haven't run into any problem yet?

k... wtf... I just quoted BombaTwist from the hardware section here... :blink:

Anyways... if you want to be sure about your firewall, you can check out Shields Up! Google it for the address (I'd give you the wrong one since I'm proxied here at work). AFAIK, the Windows Firewall actually runs from the ALG, but the settings are managed through the Windows Firewall service.

Edited by Zxian

• 7 years later...

It says that the Application Layer Gateway service provides support for third party protocol plugins for Internet Connection Sharing and the Windows Firewall?? But is it needed for just using the Windows firewall without any third party plugins or using the Internet Connection sharing feature?

The reason I ask is because the Application Layer Gateway service runs an extra process ALG.exe where as almost all other services depeend on the same process. So it would be good to disablke it to have one less provess running. I have disabled it before, and I didn't appear to have any problems. But then I did a search on it, and I found things that said it was required for the Windows Firewall?? But the Windows Firewall seemed to work fine with it disabled.

So, is he Application Layer Gateway Service really needed for just using the Windows Firewall? Or is it only needed if you use one of the computers to provide Internet Connection Sharing to all other computers on the network or use third party plugins??

ALG is required to use just the Windows Firewall.